• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Back story last night dog from down the road comes on to our property at 11:30 12:30 1:30 and 2:30 a.m. kills two of our chickens on our property. I took the thing home 3 times and the fourth time I went out to the barn at 2:30 found a tie out about 30 feet long and secured it to a tree on their property about 4:30 I get back to sleep. 7:30 a.m. I am wired and awake. Yeah 3 hours sleep for our homestead.

Today the dog comes back today again kills two more chicken's. Now I am hot!

I take the pit bull back the freaking tie out is still on the tree and their dog is still at large.

I can't blame the dog because they dont feed it. People down the road " we don't know why he keeps leaving" no apology, no let use replace your chickens nothing.

I asked them why they don't have it tied up on the tie out I left them? "You can't be telling us how we keep our dog its our property not yours.

I am carrying, I am mad as all get out. So I left with out saying anything further.

About an hour ago its back so I try to run it off it starts growling at me, so I let it be long enough to move the Jackass from the back 40 to up by house. He usually stays out back to keep the Coyotes away.

I can't leave him up front at night. I know I am well with in the law to shoot it Tennessee Law is very clear about protection of live stock. I don't want to shoot it but my concern is I don't know aggressive this dog will get.

I don't want to be a jerk but I don't want to have their dog disrupting our lives either.
    Thoughts

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Make a police report, see if they can do anything. Get pictures NOW of any and all damage done. Even pics of how the neighbors keep the dog. Most likely you will have to go to civil court to recoup loses.

If you handle it yourself, either 3s (shoot-shovel-shutup) or contact local LEOs on how to handle beforehand. DO NOT POST PICS ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Be prepared for the owners screaming to local media how he was a good, gentle dog.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Will animal control do anything? Sounds like the dog will let you approach it and tie it up. Next time, tie it up at your house and call animal control.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    kills two more chicken's.

to recoup loses.

031bc319eeda30437eebc10a56be9b9e0127f5d1f0bb0c95e3b2bfcada8a5995.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My experience has been every dog is a good dog that won't never hurt nothin, and no way would their dog ever kill livestock, and dogs gotta run free it's in their nature, and if someone tries to make them pay for damages 'their' dog does then they deny that it's their dog. And then the years long vendetta begins and the vandalism and the like starts.

I got no problems with dogs in general. Love 'em. And I understand that for some people their dog is their family. But just like we see every time some thug gets shot during a crime, the family members who could not be bothered to raise said thug properly and keep watch over him go crying on the tv about how he was just a good boy turning his life around.

If you love your dog you don't let it run free and damage other people's property, and a decent person takes responsibility when it happens. Any other action makes one no better than the people crying on the tv above.

3S applies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will remove this if the OP requests.

1st....get the law involved so there is a record. Pics if possible.
    2nd...if you feel threatened do as you need to. It is your place and the dog is not yours.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Never ask about such a situation, never discuss such a situation, just do what you need to do as discretely, efficiently, and quietly as possible, then keep your lips sealed!

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    Seems like the owners don't care about the dog. Load it up in the truck and take it to a rescue a county or 2 over, probably best for everyone.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Will animal control do anything? Sounds like the dog will let you approach it and tie it up. Next time, tie it up at your house and call animal control.
    I spoke with the Sheriff's department explained situation their response was you are out of county, there are no ordinances, they advised that I have evey right to protect our property and livestock and it was legal to shoot it, and if it came to that there was no reason to notify them. I have images on my phone of the dog mauling our chicken. And there is recorded footage from the security cameras that clearly show the dog killing the chickens.

In the mean time I have taken it back again this time I went with out any side arm and politely told them they have two choices they can use the tie out keep the dog on their property. Or if it comes back to our home and attacks anything I will not be returning the dog again.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spoke with the Sheriff's department explained situation their response was you are out of county, there are no ordinances, they advised that I have evey right to protect our property and livestock and it was legal to shoot it, and if it came to that there was no reason to notify them. I have images on my phone of the dog mauling our chicken. And there is recorded footage from the security cameras that clearly show the dog killing the chickens.

In the mean time I have taken it back again this time I went with out any side arm and politely told them they have two choices they can use the tie out keep the dog on their property. Or if it comes back to our home and attacks anything I will not be returning the dog again.

And their response was...???
    Or do I already know.....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Good luck. Here is hoping you have some machinery so you dont have to break your back digging the hole by hand.

Afterward is it tacky to send them a bill for $1.50 for ammo reimbursement?

Or the other option: "Nope. Sorry. I havent seen your dog lately. I assumed you finally started tying him up. I aint seen nothin. Maybe try animal control?"

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    Or the other option: "Nope. Sorry. I havent seen your dog lately. I assumed you finally started tying him up. I aint seen nothin. Maybe try animal control?"

I was thinking this as well when reading through the thread. I would have taken the dog back once, twice maybe. It would not be taken back a third time ... Nope, haven't seen your dog in a while now.

Top Bottom