• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I don't see a thread like this, but from some of the comments in other threads, INGO seems likely to have some people with similar literary interests.

I'm partial to sci-fi, fantasy, and military fiction myself. John Ringo being one of my favorite authors.

I'm always looking for something new. So fire away, INGO! What kind of books do you enjoy? who is your favorite Author/book? What was the last thing you read?

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    OMG NO! Have they stopped making movies?

I knew it would happen. Just didn't expect it to be the first response. :ugh:

But speaking of movies, Ringo's 'Ghost' would make a great one. Retired Seal spots a kid-napping on a college campus and winds up in Syria with a bunch of terrorists. Great stuff.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    The Night Bird, one of the monthly free offerings from Amazon Prime, I loved it!
    Corps Justice series pretty dang good also.

I'll have to see if I can find it. my daughter has the prime account through college, but I may be able to bum her PW now that Christmas is over. Is Corps Justice something along the lines of JAG or NCIS?

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    For the prolific reader Kindle Unlimited is the best 10 bucks a month you will ever spend. I did just use a gift card to order the newest Orson Scott Card entry for the Enderverse and then also The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen .by Brandon Webb.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Have you read any of the "Monster Hunter International" books by Larry Corea? Ringo did, I think, 2 novels in that universe. I heard about them on INGO and love the whole series. Monsters, dark humor, guns, explosives, good stuff, plus the gun and ammo stuff looks correct to me.

If you have not read "John Dies at the Ends" and "This Book is full of Spiders", by David Wong, stop what you are doing and fix that.

I also really enjoyed "Ready Player One", by Earnest Cline.

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson is one of my favorite sci-fi books. I think it might be the first cyber punk novel.

Heinlein's Starship Troopers is pretty awesome too.

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    For the prolific reader Kindle Unlimited is the best 10 bucks a month you will ever spend.
    This ^^^

I have read quite a few books so far for my $10. There is no better deal for readers then KU IMO. All I do is read, no TV nor movies except once in a great while. I carry my Paperwhite with me to the restaurant so I can read while I eat. You should check out Kindle Unlimited.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Have you read any of the "Monster Hunter International" books by Larry Corea? Ringo did, I think, 2 novels in that universe. I heard about them on INGO and love the whole series. Monsters, dark humor, guns, explosives, good stuff, plus the gun and ammo stuff looks correct to me.

If you have not read "John Dies at the Ends" and "This Book is full of Spiders", by David Wong, stop what you are doing and fix that.

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson is one of my favorite sci-fi books. I think it might be the first cyber punk novel.

I heard about MHI through the Sig forums and agree, they are great books. Also, if you haven't read anything by Marko Kloos, you should look him up. Like Larry Correia, he's an ardent 2A supporter :yesway:

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

Absolutely LOVED David Wong's books. I'll have to check out the Monster Hunter books, sounds like my kind of read. Ringo seems to be pretty good about keeping the firearms stuff straight.

Heinlein's 'Stranger in a Strange land is one of my all-time favorites. Need to dig up the Friday stories and read again.

thanks for posting to the thread - great suggestions!

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    For the prolific reader Kindle Unlimited is the best 10 bucks a month you will ever spend. I did just use a gift card to order the newest Orson Scott Card entry for the Enderverse and then also The Red Circle: My Life in the Navy SEAL Sniper Corps and How I Trained America's Deadliest Marksmen .by Brandon Webb.

I started out with a nook a while back, but after the screen cracked I switched to an iPad mini. may get the Kindle app just to check out unlimited. It is awesome having access to most of my library in a portable format.

The Enderverse books are among my favorites, but I will have to check out Webb.

Thanks for the suggestions!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Currently reading "September Hope". It's about Market Garden from an American point of view. Sad because of the sacrifice, interesting because of the history.

Also recently read "Goodbye Darkness" by William Manchester. Never knew he was a Marine in the Pacific during WWII. Very interesting look at the Marines at that point in history.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    If you like Ringo, check out David Weber.
    Prefer Ringo, but Weber is a good read.

Both great authors, though I will admit to preferring Ringo as well. If you haven't read the 'March' books they collaborated on, I highly recommend them.

Weber is great if you want to read about every political motivation of every character, plus all the technical numbers, but sometimes that's just not what I'm looking for.

That being said, Eric Flint has some great stuff out there, too. Learned a lot of history and politics from Weber and Flint while still being entertained.

Glock22

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Bedford
    I'm currently reading "Killing Patton" by Bill O'rielly. It's interesting so far,I've learned some things about WW2 they don't teach you in school

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

:+1: Gibson is very good and scarily prescient

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Currently re-reading: Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper. On Deck is One Minute After You Die, by Erwin Lutzer, and after that: The Courage to be Free, by Charlton Heston. Highly recommend all three of these books, but I suspect most here have already read Col. Coopers book many times.[h=2][/h]

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Currently re-reading: Principles of Personal Defense, by Jeff Cooper. On Deck is One Minute After You Die, by Erwin Lutzer, and after that: The Courage to be Free, by Charlton Heston. Highly recommend all three of these books, but I suspect most here have already read Col. Coopers book many times.

Looks like I'm going to need a wish list. I have heard of Col. Cooper, of course, but didn't have a book title to look for.

May need to start a separate thread under General Firearms for recommended reading.

edit: done! And off to a good start.

Thanks

Last edited:
    Top Bottom