• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Most of us are familiar with the phrase "I'm Your Huckleberry" from the Tombstone movie. However, being sick at home I was hunting around Amazon Prime TV shows and saw that they had the very old western TV program, Yancy Derringer available. The show aired from 58 to 59 and starred Jock Mahoney at a New Orleans gambler and adventurer three years after the Civil War.

This is the part that perked my ears up as I was half listening to the end of the first program.

Widely respected by all parts of New Orleans society, as a southerner who never surrendered, Derringer is recruited by the Federal City Administrator, John Colton, to work as a secret agent at no pay, and only Colton knows of his special role. Often at the beginning of an episode, Colton, a former Union Army colonel, asks Yancy to help solve New Orleans' present threat and, often at the end of the episode, he arrests Yancy for breaking the law to do it. Yancy agrees to be Colton's "huckleberry," because Yancy felt the United States should be one nation again. Huckleberry was just one of many unique southern slang terms creator Richard Sale brought into use during the show. One slang definition of Huckleberry is man, guy, or fellow, as in "I'm your huckleberry."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yancy_Derringer

Since its been 50 years since I last saw the program I guess I know why I forgot about the expression :):

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had an old guy here in Clarksville for many years, everyone knew him as Huckleberry. He walked all over town, always carrying a broken golf club, chewing on a cigar stub, and checking coin return slots on coke machines and phone booths.:):

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We had an old guy here in Clarksville for many years, everyone knew him as Huckleberry. He walked all over town, always carrying a broken golf club, chewing on a cigar stub, and checking coin return slots on coke machines and phone booths.:):

LOL.....I remember Ol' Huckleberry...Clarksville had Huckleberry and Jeff had Cowboy....Dad's here and said he delivered the Courier Journal to Huckleberry and his brother back in the 50's...Dad said they lived on Taggart....Dad mentioned the cigar as well lol...

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    LOL.....I remember Ol' Huckleberry...Clarksville had Huckleberry and Jeff had Cowboy....Dad's here and said he delivered the Courier Journal to Huckleberry and his brother back in the 50's...Dad said they lived on Taggart....Dad mentioned the cigar as well lol...
    I remember that house on taggart, even back when we were kids that place looked like a haunted house, when huck died 15 or 20 years ago I knew the guy that was hired to clean out all the junk. Apparently huck was a hoarder of the highest degree.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom