• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Hey all just seeing what kind of gloves you have found that hold up well with wood cutting? I'm out every weekend cutting wood and handling it and go thru gloves pretty fast.
    The mechanix cold weather gloves used to be my favorite but they changed them.. read cheapened them. Insulated and non insulated gloves too. Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've been running the splitter and stacking about every other weekend this winter. Switch between Mechanix, Craftsman, and Kobalt (Lowes brand) gloves. Been having issues keeping the velcro closed on all but the Kobalt. The Mechanix are by far the best fitting, with the Craftsman second. The Kobalt is starting to wear on a couple of fingertips, but they have also been used in the shop more often than the others.

All are the "standard" version (not cold weather). I tend to get pretty warm, and end up with just a couple of thin layers and the gloves on, even with the temp a little below freezing.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks. I forgot about the issue of sweating. I too get wam even in cold temps. I would like to have something that breathes and not leave my hands wet/clammy

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I use the rugged wear cheapo gloves (mechanix knock offs) from menards. Buy em on sale for around $6 a pair. At that price, I don't feel bad about them being short lived.

I've tried expensive solid leather gloves and while they may last longer, I didn't care for the lack of feeling thru them.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, no matter what glove you buy you will go through them, so buy cheap, throw-away gloves.

I personally use the black rubber-dipped light-weight knit gloves from Menards. They occasionally have them free after rebate and I keep them all over the place. Got into poison ivy? No problem, throw them away and grab new gloves. They actually hold up surprisingly well; even better than the more expensive rubber dipped ones. They aren't insulated though so anything less than ~25 degree outside temps and I just don't mess with cutting wood.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    The Stihl gloves look like the carhartt fencing gloves I had. Those things wore like iron.. pretty cheap too. I need to find some of those again. The deer skin gloves , aren't they really soft and wear out quick?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    I like the split leather palmed gloves with the wide cuffs. When menards has them in xxl I stock up. Insulated ones are made nicer than the regular ones, which tend to wear out quicker

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've never had much luck with leather gloves. Granted, most of my glove-wearin' work is mechanical rather than woodsy (or even gardeny). They wear out quickly, are cold, take forever to dry, and have almost no feel to them.

I have a pair of sueded leather garden gloves that are probably 10 years old. Fit terrible, have no feel at all, and don't hardly insulate, but they refuse to wear out.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I use a regular cowhide leather glove with a close fit. I used to love Wells Lamond cinchers, but, like everything else, they've gone chinese. If I can find a good deal on deerhide, I prefer it, but they're usually salty. I average one pair of leathers a year, and just count it as part of my cost.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    https://www.zoro.com/ansell-cold-pr...gclid=CPeN8f2Oz9ECFYeNswodijsMWA&gclsrc=aw.ds

wintermonkeygripraised23173.jpg

I wear these for work. They are a chemical resistant glove and kinda stiff at first. But once broke in, and you get used to them, they last a very long time. This is all I use at home for yard work anymore. Splinters are never a problem either. Easy on/off too. You can throw on a cheap pair of jersy gloves underneath when it gets really cold.

As long as your not trying to thread a 1/4-20 nut onto a bolt, you should be fine.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Buffalo skin made in USA by Midwest gloves

I drive a flatbed truck as my retirement job if you think wood is hard on gloves try chains,binders and steel!

They last three times as long as a standard glove.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Back in the day when men were men, we didn't even use gloves. Hell, we doubled up on socks for shoes and cut wood with a hatchet.
    Kids nowadays. :oldwise:

Top Bottom