• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've been noticing over the past year or so that my 2010 Liberty seems to be pulling from side to side. It's not one side... more like a slight swaying that I constantly have to correct. At high speeds I sometimes feel like I'm going to lose control and go off the road.

I got new tires last fall, and it didn't seem to help. I googled the issue, and the only thing that I could come up with was "tramlining", but I didn't see any real solutions.

Any ideas or suggestions?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Have the front end checked out and an alignment done. Could be tie rod ends as mentioned above, or if it's just drifting it could be caster.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    How do your tires look?

Is there uneven wear on the front tires?

Not that I know a ton about automobiles, but my very first thought when presented with symptoms like that are tie-rods - as has been mentioned. I'm like 3-3 when friends/family have mentioned issues like that.

Until you can get it taken care of - drive as gently as possible. Keep speeds down. A complete tie-rod failure at 50+ mph in that vehicle could induce a rollover. A very very bad rollover. Seriously.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    How do your tires look?

Is there uneven wear on the front tires?

Not that I know a ton about automobiles, but my very first thought when presented with symptoms like that are tie-rods - as has been mentioned. I'm like 3-3 when friends/family have mentioned issues like that.

Until you can get it taken care of - drive as gently as possible. Keep speeds down. A complete tie-rod failure at 50+ mph in that vehicle could induce a rollover. A very very bad rollover. Seriously.

Snap,
    The Tie Rod Ends are what keep your front tires both pointed in the right direction. If one breaks, you have a tire out of control and it will cause a wreck...If at highway speeds you will lose control of the car...Get it checked ASAP...

The pot holes are always bad in your area...You don't have too many miles on the Jeep, but 48K miles of pot holes can wear the tie rod ends out...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, thanks. I take back roads to work with limits of 35mph. I will stay off the expressway until I can get it looked at.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I've been noticing over the past year or so that my 2010 Liberty seems to be pulling from side to side. It's not one side... more like a slight swaying that I constantly have to correct. At high speeds I sometimes feel like I'm going to lose control and go off the road.

I got new tires last fall, and it didn't seem to help. I googled the issue, and the only thing that I could come up with was "tramlining", but I didn't see any real solutions.

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Could be the front stabilizer bar, or tie rods. You could join and ask here: LOST JEEPS ? Index page

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It could be any number of things, or a combination: alignment, tie rod ends, upper and/or lower ball joints, upper and/or lower control arm bushings. I do not suspect the sway bar.

Trust me...when you get the alignment, they will tell you what they believe is worn out...because alignments aren't the money maker.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm with Sam on this one, tie rod ends or worn bushings. Not familiar with the Jeep, but 48K seems low for the rod ends to be going bad in a pickup.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A 2010 with 48K and no alignment since the factory?

Yeah, start there.

I doubt anything is worn out, just out of adjustment.

I think the recommendation is an alignment once per year, which works out to about 10-15K miles for the average driver. You should be on your 6th alignment by now. :)

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    With an alignment all the front end steering parts should be checked for wear. I am not sure how the steering system is designed on this vehicle, could be electric assisted, or conventional gearbox. If alignment does not solve the problem then check the rest of the steering components. Low power steering fluid, bad pump, air in the system, electric components could be the problem.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A 2010 with 48K and no alignment since the factory?

Yeah, start there.

I doubt anything is worn out, just out of adjustment.

I think the recommendation is an alignment once per year, which works out to about 10-15K miles for the average driver. You should be on your 6th alignment by now. :)

Almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles on my Silverado- never had an alignment, no abnormal tire wear, tracks straight and true. For vehicles made in the last 15 years, this should be the rule, not the exception. Alignments are not a maintenance item. Without excessive wear (which calls for part replacement) or damage, you should not need regular alignments.

Well, it is a Jeep...

A division of Chrysler. Nuff said.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) A Liberty is not nearly the same build quality as most any truck
    B) Alignment is absolutely a maintenance item, IMHO.

Toe, caster, and camber can change with just normal driving. Bushings compress, bearings wear, and even solid metal parts can stretch/bend, still be well within their service life, and still impact alignment and drivability.

Example: The camber on my Jeep TJ is set by tightening an offset bolt. The compression of the bolt/nut is all that holds it. Even with NO offroad use, and only about 10K miles, the camber adjustment had "slipped" 2 degrees. Enough to induce the infamous "Death Wobble". Nothing was worn out at all, and simply setting the camber back makes it good until the NEXT time.

Before we traded my wife's Saturn, we had all the alignment records (now shredded). It's toe would change by almost a degree every year or so. All parts were absolutely tight, but it still managed to change. Quick alignment, and back in business.

Now, I agree we shouldn't NEED to do this so frequently.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom