some idiot lazy thief tried to scam my wife and I...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Sorry for the rant but if this helps anybody or any advice can be gleaned from this THANKS..
    My wife and I are looking for a specific type of horse for our camps we do and my wife found one in listed in Columbus Ohio. Not that far but when we called the guy he says hes in Catawba Virginia.. sends pictures and a video, answers all our questions very well and he gave the right answers to me when I talk to folks that I dont know.. we thought we had done our homework.. googled his name and number , his address and even information about the horse, Everything checks out but his address came up on Zillow for sale, and me having that feeling inside that something is not right made me call the number on the listing , the person that owns the house states there are no horses on the property and we chat and I give him the information I have on the guy and all is good..
    The seller wants a money gram and I say no of course and he keeps pressing and I finally had enough and lit him up...hes probably not even in the country.
    This guy was good and I am glad I listened to that feeling of doubt.
    This my first dealing with this elaborate of a scam and learned more and hope someone does too. Those scammers are one of the lowest forms of puke I can say and I hope he gets whats coming to him.:draw:

Lumpy76

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Hebron
    That sucks you had to waste your time on something like that. At least you did your research and you aren't out any money.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Never send moneygrams, prepaid giftcards or any other untraceable forms of payment. Its usually a sign its a scam. I like paypal cause they have your back & if the seller is iffy than paypal deals with them. Im glad you didn't fall for the scam.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Thanks. I tried to do PayPal with him but it was a no go with him. That was the first red flag. I'm posting a Craigslist ad with his name and the horse along with his emails as a buyer beware. Hopefully if he uses the same name phone number or email it will pop up on the interweb and anyone digging into around it might pop up.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    What kind of horse you wanting? My sis has too many although she may not admit it. She's down at North Vernon & Madison.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Buddy of mine had a similar experience trying to buy a car. There are a lot of turds out there trying to scam people out of their hard earned cash... :rolleyes:

Glad you figured it out before you lost any money!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Dunno how hard it would be to get the attention of the authorities with it, but it might be worth a try passing up all this joker's info to them to see if you can get them to at least see if he's within their jurisdiction.
    He may well be one of those overseas scammers, but it might be worth a try.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am glad you avoided getting scammed. I have ran into that with motorcycles. I bought a bike one, and paid to have it shipped, and it was a stolen one with a bogus title.

Is it common to buy a horse without seeing it in person?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glad you didnt fall for it. A friend was almost scammed by a potential renter, though not as dramatically. She ran the background check and figured out his sister was who he listed as his prior landlord, and checking the property records for his previous address, it was demolished in 2011. So apparently he was living in a vacant lot. (yeah right)

Top Bottom