• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I recently found Indy to be as difficult and confusing a ORD. I had a weapon in my check baggage so I was directed to Concourse B and was told to ask for the head honcho of TSA. In front of Concourse B was a big sign saying TSA was closed in Concourse B so folks like me were to use Concourse A. Since my departure gate was in Concourse B and I was told to ask for the head honcho there, I proceeded to B. I spoke to the first TSA rep I met (There were four standing there looking busy while flirting with a good-looking female officer handling a drug-sniffing dog.). I explained what I needed and asked what I should do. After discussion I was told to wait while they found out what I should do. After 3-4 minutes I was told to proceed. Concourse A was "not open." I proceeded up the walkway between all the ribbons marking the lanes and came to a line in front of an unmanned TSA labeled inspection post. Another couple with a child was waiting there. Totally confused, I waited also. 4-5 minutes later a pilot walked up.

The pilot waited a minute, or less, and suggested the first couple proceed to the next check point where ordinary folks were being screened. The man replied that he was told by the crew at the front to check with the TSA at this post. Pilot explained since it was closed one should proceed to the ordinary line where the action was happening. Guy declined, clearly confused. Pilot excused himself and proceeded to the next security checkpoint. He was processed by the ordinary TSA expert and moved through.

I urged the guy in front of me to proceed. He still hesitated; the post was clearly labeled as the one to which both he and I were directed, but it was unmanned. I told him there was TSA folks at the next post and suggested maybe they would handle things. He did not want to proceed so I and my wife did so. We informed the TSA lady about the confusion. She replied that the person assigned to that post was not around so they would have to get it manned. I suspect it was the expert flirting at the entrance. At this point, one of the experts walked up to the entrance and got someone to man the station.

Of course this was after I tried to check in without stopping at the automated kiosk in front of the check in counter. I was informed I needed to go to the kiosk first, and then to counter. I mentioned I had to inform them about the contents of my checked bag, and was still instructed to use the kiosk first. It would have been nice if there was a sign in front of the kiosk informing passenger that the process must begin at the kiosk. In Fort Wayne and in a couple other locations I have visited in the USA (e.g. Ft. Myers if memory serves correctly) sign inform folks to use the kiosk if they do not have any baggage to check. If one wants to check a bag, one must of directly to the counter.

My conclusion is that if one is familiar with the airport, whether it is in China, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Japan, or the USA, getting around is simple. If one has never used that facility previously, it is confusing. I have also discovered that it is pointless to ask for assistance in Indy or Beijing. In both, the typical response is to inform you, by non-verbal language, you are an idiot if you can't figure out what to do without interrupting their conversation and making them answer a question.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom