• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We have a fenced-in area on the side of the house where the four dogs go out to do their business. It's approx 14' x 20'. About 60% of the grass is dead, presumably from the dog urine. I have tried treating the soil with gypsum and re-seeding, but I cannot get anything to grow. I am not looking forward to another season of this area being a mudpit.

The options I can think of are

1. sod (but there is no source of water nearby)
    2. mulch
    3. gravel
    4. bacon

I'm thinking that covering the entire area with a smooth medium-sized gravel may be my best option. Any other suggestions?

Sun is coming in strong from the south..
    sideyard1_zpsh7j4ghse.jpg

sideyard2_zpswgjkt9aw.jpg

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, I always used fine limestone in my kennels. Every quarry calls it something different....some call it fines, screenings, flume, #10 limestone.........basically what you need is something that will compact but not have much gravel in it. It just makes it a little easier to clean up if no gravel. And later on if you don't need that area for dogs just till it up and plant in grass....no need to remove limestone.

wabashman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Have fun sifting dog poop from the gravel. Especially after it's been rained on.

My dogs cannot seem to make it past the driveway into the yard/woods.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    11F limestone. It is 1/4" to dust. It packs in like concrete and the limestone absorbs the urine smell. Poop is easy to clean up and the dogs won't be able to dig in it once it is packed in and rained on a couple times. I've used this for 50 years for dog runs and it has never disappointed me or the dogs.

Top Bottom