• ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    In specific, 2004 Venture.

Friend of mine had his stereo go out, so he bought an aftermarket replacement. He was unable to get it working, so he brought it over for me to look at.

He's a younger guy, so he didn't know about or buy an adapter harness - he was just cutting wires off of the OEM harness and splicing them onto the harness that came with the stereo. He nailed the speakers but he wasn't able to get the power to come on.

It seems like Chevy has done something weird, and it seems to be related to the "radio stays on until the driver's door is opened" thing.

I got it to work for the time being by identifying the 12V output from the battery and tying the stereo into that. The drawback of course is that it's always on now unless he powers it off. I don't think the clock should drain it down too fast, but who knows.

I've basically just got this one wire on the new radio's harness that I can't identify where it needs to go. See here:

View attachment 53083

So, PowerB+ and GND- are self-explanatory. We're not using ANT+ as he has a fixed antenna. I'm just not entirely sure what "ACC+" is supposed to be. I assume it's a 12V signal from the car that says, "radio on" because if I hit it with 12V the radio will stay on until I pull the 12V off that wire. But finding it on the Chevy side is the tricky part. I'm striking out Googling harness diagrams. Any ideas?

Last edited:

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Not a huge help but you need a wire that has power only when the key is on so that will turn radio on and off when you stop ignition... Need to find a 12 volt that cycles on and off with the key. Look for a solid Yello from the car harness test that with key on and off

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Sure the power b isnt for the clock? A constant power.

Oop, yes, you're right. I got that backwards. The ACC+ is the one that needs to be switched by the key.

Not a huge help but you need a wire that has power only when the key is on so that will turn radio on and off when you stop ignition... Need to find a 12 volt that cycles on and off with the key. Look for a solid Yello from the car harness test that with key on and off

That's what I was thinking when I found this but the color scheme is completely different on the OEM harness he has.

https://www.carid.com/metra/wiring-...pn-71-2003-1.html?singleid=4732425&url=663190

You could just wire the old harness back in an go buy the adapter needed

I would but he cut it way too short at the plug. :crying:

I told him if we can't figure it out our best option may just to be to replace the harness and get an adapter.

Until then I guess I just need to start probing and see where I get 12V switched from the ignition, eh?

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Last edited:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    Red is switched power. It go to ign wire when key is off radio go off. Yellow is power all the time. Keeps clock and stations in memory. Black is ground. Do u have a test light of so ground the clip to metal and use the probe end to find switched power. If u was closer id help with it.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    Red is switched power. It go to ign wire when key is off radio go off. Yellow is power all the time. Keeps clock and stations in memory. Black is ground. Do u have a test light of so ground the clip to metal and use the probe end to find switched power. If u was closer id help with it.

I'm sorry. Yes this is right. I was thinking blue wire was remote power.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    2004 Chevrolet Venture Car Audio Wiring Diagram if this is right I'm thinking check your yellow key on key off

There is no yellow wire in the harness, so they may have done weird colors on this one for some reason. I'm meeting up with him again in a couple of days (I ordered GM antenna adapter cable for him off of Amazon) and I'm going to start checking wires for voltages with the key off and on.

I work in car audio. 90% of vehicles manufactured after 2000 require an interface instead of a wiring harness. It's because everything runs through the ECU. If you don't get an interface module it won't work right even if you connect all the right wires.

This is the module you need.
    Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Yikes. I hope not. This was just a plain-jane tape deck, no frills minivan so hopefully it won't need one of those. That's twice what he paid for the new stereo!

Heater blower switch is a quick and (usually) easy place.

Oooh, good idea. Just run a splice block on that and run a wire to the stereo. I like it.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Yikes. I hope not. This was just a plain-jane tape deck, no frills minivan so hopefully it won't need one of those. That's twice what he paid for the new stereo.

Unfortunately, I deal with this all the time. Customer wants to replace their radio without all the correct parts, then comes back a week later wondering why it doesn't work right.

Think of the electrical system as a complete loop. The loop runs through the ignition, lighting, radio, door chimes, etc. The system is designed at the factory to run as a complete unit. When you replace one part of that system with an aftermarket unit, then the other parts don't function properly.

Like I said, this change came around 2000. Very few vehicles made after 2000 will work properly with just a wiring harness. You need a module so that the new radio passes the right information to the ECU.

You can try to hard wire it, but I'm 90% certain that in the next year you are going to find that certain electrocal systems won't work right.

You can always go on Amazon or eBay and try to find one. You should be able to get one for $50-$75.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    I work in car audio. 90% of vehicles manufactured after 2000 require an interface instead of a wiring harness. It's because everything runs through the ECU. If you don't get an interface module it won't work right even if you connect all the right wires.

This is the module you need.
    Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
    Yup found this out a couple years ago with the neighbor kids early 2000's Pontiac sunfire. Couldn't figure out why no power until I did some digging.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Without OnStar, the OP should be ok without an interface. Being a chevy venture, it likely doesn't have a complex audio system with multiple amps and the like. At worst he'll loose the door, key, seat belt warning chimes but most people don't mind if those go away.

@OP, when you get to look at it again, see if the wire colors match up to anything that was posted above and try to go from there. If he got the speakers connected and you supplied constant power you're 90% of the way there anyway. Just find the keyed ignition source and you're all set. If you really get stuck you might check some dedicated chevy forums too. I came across a couple while looking for the wiring info. You're certainly not the only one with this question.

Top Bottom