• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    whirlpool range hood type- worked fine at noon today, 1/2 hr later it's 4 times as loud; fan, turntable etc all fine- just really loud and no heat- anybody familiar with these? It's bolted to a brick wall, that's what's holding me back from just replacing it- was a pain to install

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm betting you lost your magnetron. Unfortunately, it typically requires disassembly to get to to replace. Seems like you can ohm them out to verify it's bad before you replace it. I think when I did mine, it wasn't all that expensive. Of course it depends on how expensive a microwave you have before deciding on a repair vs replace decision.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    whirlpool range hood type- worked fine at noon today, 1/2 hr later it's 4 times as loud; fan, turntable etc all fine- just really loud and no heat- anybody familiar with these? It's bolted to a brick wall, that's what's holding me back from just replacing it- was a pain to install

There "should" be two bolts going top down through the bottom of your cabinet above the microwave.
    I would "imagine" there is a bracket bolted to the wall, when you unscrew the two bolts the micro will tip down and you can lift it off the support bracket that will stay attached to the wall.

bracket.jpg

Not a terribly difficult job, if you get the same brand it will "probably" go right on the original bracket.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I just so happen to have a stainless Samsung OTR microwave sitting in my garage after I decided I wanted a dedicated fan hood. If you are interested in it as a replacement send me a PM as I want it gone on the cheap!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just so happen to have a stainless Samsung OTR microwave sitting in my garage after I decided I wanted a dedicated fan hood. If you are interested in it as a replacement send me a PM as I want it gone on the cheap!

Unless you are handy replace it.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I think GFGTotin may have nailed it, at least according to youtube. Only magnetron i know of was a state fair ride i puked on back in the day- thanks all!!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Part out the transformer for some basement fun!

[video=youtube;GCrqLlz8Ee0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCrqLlz8Ee0[/video]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My Whirpool did this last year about this time. Ordered a replacement Magnetron from Amazon for about $100. About 2 hours of my time and it was fixed. I prefer that over buying a new one. BTW, the Whirpool is 15 years old. I prefer to fix rather than replace...if I can.

Top Bottom