• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Despite being an amateur historian for several decades, I have to say I never heard about this woman. Earlier today, I ran across her by accident and think hers is a tale that needs to be told!

"Hannah Duston was the first American woman to have a statue built in her honor. Today, what she did to deserve it might be called, by some, an atrocity."

https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/hannah-duston-scalped-indians/

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks for sharing that Miguel...I portrayed a British Indian Agent of the 1780's for a couple of years at the Battle of Blue Licks and various other events (And a film about the Siege of Boonesboro) for about ten years....During that time I read a number of first person accounts of capture by the captives and I guess because this event was in New England (and about 90 years earlier than I normally do) that her tale must have escaped me...Thank you for sharing this...

I try to explain to people that the whole "Indians were just peace loving people trying to get along with folks" is a bit more complicated than that....The natives (especially in the East) were very formidable warriors and statesmen who, for two hundred years, played the Spanish, Dutch, French and English off of each other in a way that would make Machivelli or the Borgia's of Italy proud......

It's way more complicated than "Indians=Good and Whites=bad" (or visa versa...)

A couple of Natives played a 23 year old George Washington like piano and in the process started the first World War in history, The Seven Years War or as it is known here the French and Indian War...

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/first-blood-of-the-french-and-indian-war

n 1754 Washington's surprise attack upon a smallFrench force at Jumonville Glen and his subsequent surrender to French forces at the Battle of Fort Necessity helped to spark the French & Indian War. The following year, Washington accompanied Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock on his ill-fated march on Fort Duquesne.

Very nice...Thanks for posting....

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I wonder which is the atrocity; the killing or the scalping? Can't blame a mother for doing either to people that killed her child.

Well, ya swing a baby into a tree because it's crying, ya got it coming in my book. Ditto for the modern baby shakers.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well, ya swing a baby into a tree because it's crying, ya got it coming in my book. Ditto for the modern baby shakers.

That seemed to be their "go to method" of dealing with crying babies according to the accounts I have read...They were very matter of fact about it actually...As best as I can ascertain they looked at life a bit more cavalier than other cultures...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Thanks for sharing that Miguel...I portrayed a British Indian Agent of the 1780's for a couple of years at the Battle of Blue Licks and various other events (And a film about the Siege of Boonesboro) for about ten years....During that time I read a number of first person accounts of capture by the captives and I guess because this event was in New England (and about 90 years earlier than I normally do) that her tale must have escaped me...Thank you for sharing this...

I try to explain to people that the whole "Indians were just peace loving people trying to get along with folks" is a bit more complicated than that....The natives (especially in the East) were very formidable warriors and statesmen who, for two hundred years, played the Spanish, Dutch, French and English off of each other in a way that would make Machivelli or the Borgia's of Italy proud......

It's way more complicated than "Indians=Good and Whites=bad" (or visa versa...)

A couple of Natives played a 23 year old George Washington like piano and in the process started the first World War in history, The Seven Years War or as it is known here the French and Indian War...

First blood of the French and Indian War - May 28, 1754 - HISTORY.com

n 1754 Washington's surprise attack upon a smallFrench force at Jumonville Glen and his subsequent surrender to French forces at the Battle of Fort Necessity helped to spark the French & Indian War. The following year, Washington accompanied Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock on his ill-fated march on Fort Duquesne.

Very nice...Thanks for posting....

Happy you found it so interesting! On a side note, I am wearing this tshirt at the moment. I'm sure very few people will get it, but I think it is funny as hell!

Keep-Montcalm-Tee.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Happy you found it so interesting! On a side note, I am wearing this tshirt at the moment. I'm sure very few people will get it, but I think it is funny as hell!

Keep-Montcalm-Tee.jpg

That is awesome!!!! We had some Girty Brothers T Shirts made up when I was portraying Matthew Elliott...It listed our services on the back and ended with..

"Kentuckians...The other White Meat..."

The folks portraying the Kentuckians at Blue Licks thought that T Shirt was in poor taste....:)

That's me in the Red Coat...

lo11.jpg

Here I am in my woods running gear giving a talk to a local Historical Society...

gordgeary2.jpg

And meeting Thomas D. Clark, the famous Kentuckian Historian after the Battle of Blue Licks...

blrick.jpg

And posing with my little cousin after The Pigeon Roost Massacre..

gearyles.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

I just double checked, and my ancestors lived across the river from Haverhill at that same time period. They would've certainly known of her. Crazy.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    A cool story of what life was really like.

I like how she looked at the story through the 'vision of the times'...or whatever. That is absolutely right. Too many people looking and rewriting history based on hindsite and what new attitudes about different topics have become.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    A cool story of what life was really like.

I like how she looked at the story through the 'vision of the times'...or whatever. That is absolutely right. Too many people looking and rewriting history based on hindsite and what new attitudes about different topics have become.

Yes, I really appreciated the perspective taken. Not saying it's right to scalp someone. But apparently there was financial encouragement from the government to do so. And it isn't like they needed their hair anymore.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Interesting read! I just scanned some of the comments and one of them questioned the necessity of killing all members of the raiding party including what was described as several children. If you're old enough to kill. . . .

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Your ancestors weren't Algonquin were they?
    haha

No. At least, not those. :)

From what we can tell, those who were there in 1697 were at least 2d or 3rd generation New Englanders. ;)

Further south, we had 2d-3rd generation New Amsterdam kin.

I don't think they got along very well.... :D

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    haha

No. At least, not those. :)

From what we can tell, those who were there in 1697 were at least 2d or 3rd generation New Englanders. ;)

Further south, we had 2d-3rd generation New Amsterdam kin.

I don't think they got along very well.... :D

At some point they got along, otherwise there wouldn't be a you!

Top Bottom