Should attacking cops result in stiffer penalties ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Some Whitestown police officers were recently the victims of a graffiti attack on their police cruisers and, in one instance, on a residence garage door. The Whitestown police chief decried this action and said it was a crime not just against the police officers, but against the entire public. Thereafter, the Whitestown Town Council unanimously passed a resolution asking state legislators to increase criminal penalties for this type of "crimes" against police officers.

Question - should it be more of a crime if a police cruiser gets sprayed with epithets rather than my personal "civilian" vehicle ? I view this in the same vein as pressing for separate charge for a "hate" crime. If someone is assaulted by someone who hates them, shouldn't a charge of assault be sufficient. Why is it important to further define an assault categorically ?

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Some Whitestown police officers were recently the victims of a graffiti attack on their police cruisers and, in one instance, on a residence garage door. The Whitestown police chief decried this action and said it was a crime not just against the police officers, but against the entire public. Thereafter, the Whitestown Town Council unanimously passed a resolution asking state legislators to increase criminal penalties for this type of "crimes" against police officers.

Question - should it be more of a crime if a police cruiser gets sprayed with epithets rather than my personal "civilian" vehicle ? I view this in the same vein as pressing for separate charge for a "hate" crime. If someone is assaulted by someone who hates them, shouldn't a charge of assault be sufficient. Why is it important to further define an assault categorically ?

Negative. I did not agree with georgie bush on very much, but he was exactly right when he said that so called "hate crimes" were unnecessary and served no purpose. Everything "hate crimes" measures supposedly cover are already illegal. Just enforce existing law, and stop the reduction of actual time served for good behavior or any other excuse to let offenders out of prison.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Negative. I did not agree with georgie bush on very much, but he was exactly right when he said that so called "hate crimes" were unnecessary and served no purpose. Everything "hate crimes" measures supposedly cover are already illegal. Just enforce existing law, and stop the reduction of actual time served for good behavior or any other excuse to let offenders out of prison.

This. And especially this >>>>> and stop the reduction of actual time served for good behavior or any other excuse to let offenders out of prison.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I agree that hate crimes laws are not necessary. I also think crimes against police officers just because they are police officers should have a higher punishment. Police can make a lot more enemies just doing their job than the rest of us do. Even if an officer never makes an arrest they are still the target for some folks these days. I have no problem with higher penalties.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    We all have the same rights, no one is entitled to have more or less than anyone else. It's absurd that a criminal would serve more time for assaulting a LEO than the housewife at the mall.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We all have the same rights, no one is entitled to have more or less than anyone else. It's absurd that a criminal would serve more time for assaulting a LEO than the housewife at the mall.

It is absurd that anyone in today's society believes they are exempt from respecting law and the enforcement thereof. But it is apparent those people are out there.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    It is absurd that anyone in today's society believes they are exempt from respecting law and the enforcement thereof. But it is apparent those people are out there.

Why do you say it's absurd ? I would simply direct you to various events of late where kindly folks feel it's acceptable to congregate in the streets, block traffic, burn public property, and wear masks to escape prosecution all in the name of "public dissent."

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Before I weigh in on this, I want to know if we're talking about officers working in an official capacity, or a victim of a crime who just happens to be an officer.... or does it not make a difference?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Why do you say it's absurd ? I would simply direct you to various events of late where kindly folks feel it's acceptable to congregate in the streets, block traffic, burn public property, and wear masks to escape prosecution all in the name of "public dissent."

Oh Geez. You're going to be that guy. Those people are not kindly folks. Their intent is to disrupt what is considered normal society but sadly they make themselves look foolish.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    They've got MRAPs. Now they want free ice cream?

Cops are citizens. If a cop car gets tagged, it's no worse than someone tagging my building. Whitestown needs to tone down their rhetoric.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They've got MRAPs. Now they want free ice cream?

Cops are citizens. If a cop car gets tagged, it's no worse than someone tagging my building. Whitestown needs to tone down their rhetoric.
    This I agree with... but when it come to attacking the person of an officer which acting in an official capacity, I couldn't disagree more (not saying you mean the latter).

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    To paraphrase George Orwell: All animals are equal, some are just more equal than others. Crime is crime, the punishment should be the same no matter who it is committed upon.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    To paraphrase George Orwell: All animals are equal, some are just more equal than others. Crime is crime, the punishment should be the same no matter who it is committed upon.

So you'd treat the battery of 25 year old man to that of a 12 year old girl?

Kut (tests how far this notion goes)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I hold many laws and the enforcement thereof in contempt rather than respect. I am out here. ;)

Nearly anything and everything has been declared a crime against the State, but any crimes committed directly against agents of the State will generally be met with greater levels of response and severity.

Protecting the State is the number one priority of the State.

Kudos to the individual agents who protect/serve according to more noble personal principles than this.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    We have special, increased penalties for vehicle infractions within construction zones. My first question...is there evidence those actually work to prevent incidents. My second question is do we really as a society mean to value construction workers over cops by having special penalties for one and not the other?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To attack is just that.....attacking. Period.

We used to respect LEO.
    We used to respect the crossing guard.
    We used to stop for school buses and funeral processions.
    We "Used" to do a lot of things out of................wait for it................"RESPECT"
    We did not need special laws in place as we respected things.

WTF has happened.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom