• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    so i had to weld a bunch of galvanized metal today and now i feel like crap. I knew what would happen but im not in the business of saying no. Does Anyone have any recommendations for a good respirator that can filter out the galv fumes? i see the p100 filters mentioned a lot. obviously it needs to fit under a hood, i use the miller performance and a fiber metal pipeliner.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I talked to a friend that welds for a living, he suggested a some N95 rated disposable masks as a minimum.
    Outside supplyed air is really the best and if it's not available use a good shop fan and push all the fumes away from you and out the shop door.
    It's a bad sign if you have any white powder inside your mask or on your clothing.
    You will probably be sick for 24 hours and in that period it might leave and come back.

And he was surprised that where you work doesn't have the correct breathing equipment in house and available to use.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im doing mig unfortunately. i did set up a small fan and tried to position it so it blew up and away but i think it caught the fumes too late. the n95s do help a bit they stop the "snow" and kind of take the edge off. figured 20 or 30 bucks for the right respirator is nothing compared to sweating and being nauseous all night. Everytime i weld this crap I tell myself its the last time but telling the boss no doesn't sit right with me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was told to drink as much whole milk as possible.
    That was after I was sick for a whole day. Never did that again so I do not actually know if it worked.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    One of my father's friends worked sheet metal on major projects including the state capital building and died of bone cancer. We've often wondered if it had any thing to do with his exposure to things like fumes from welding galvanized metal.

Guard your health. And I agree, the boss should have to experience the conditions you work under if they're unsafe. Especially if they're unsafe because he's cheap.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    What sort of stock or projects are you welding where you are getting zinc poisoning? Is it something that has to be done inside? I've never really looked into the respirators as I work with it so seldom, what little I do with at over 1600 degrees I do outside upwind. I have considered putting a range hood above my workbench and venting it out the side of the shop but it really isn't worth it in the very limited amount that I do.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I am sure that OSHA, IOSHA, and maybe EPA have some safety/environmental requirements for welding galvanized. I would be looking for the safety data sheets and specs and then provide them to the boss for action. After all the boss IS responsible for your safety on the job.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am sure that OSHA, IOSHA, and maybe EPA have some safety/environmental requirements for welding galvanized. I would be looking for the safety data sheets and specs and then provide them to the boss for action. After all the boss IS responsible for your safety on the job.
    This!
    You are young and your health is and will be the MOST important thing in your life especially as you age. Take it from a guy who's body is wrecked from some unavoidable work things but also some work things I could have prevented. PROTECT YOUR HEALTH! Jobs like yours are a dime a dozen. Did you sign a contract that keeps you there? No? The. Get out if your boss isn't protectin you. He deserves a nut punch

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Do NOT Weld on it, it's not worth your health.

Use Muriatic Acid/ HCL / Pool shock, to remove the plating in seconds at a well ventilated place.

Wash it off with baking soda and water.

[video=youtube;0OzP0wlT64w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OzP0wlT64w[/video]

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    In welding class, we were told to drink milk if we inhaled any of it. Don't do anymore until you get a good respirator. Got to have your health.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    This!
    You are young and your health is and will be the MOST important thing in your life especially as you age. Take it from a guy who's body is wrecked from some unavoidable work things but also some work things I could have prevented. PROTECT YOUR HEALTH! Jobs like yours are a dime a dozen. Did you sign a contract that keeps you there? No? The. Get out if your boss isn't protectin you. He deserves a nut punch
    Absolutely. Take care of your health while you're young and relatively healthy still. It will be to late when you get older. Wish I would've heeded that advice when I was still young enough. Health issues are a ***** when you get older.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    What sort of stock or projects are you welding where you are getting zinc poisoning? Is it something that has to be done inside? I've never really looked into the respirators as I work with it so seldom, what little I do with at over 1600 degrees I do outside upwind. I have considered putting a range hood above my workbench and venting it out the side of the shop but it really isn't worth it in the very limited amount that I do.

A range hood blows for the welder because it's just designed to remove smoke and fumes once they are past the person welding. 17 squirrels shop has two big ( 4' X 4' ) acorn welding tables with down draft vacuum system. ( I think 3 hp ) The fumes and smoke never get to the welders mask. The downside with the downdraft tables is he has to crank up the gas pressure when using a MIG or tig. And if needed to weld bad stuff outside he has a helmet that is fed air from upwind.
    He said years ago when he quit smoking be was tired of having black boogers after working.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    osha was called a few years ago and they gave us the ok. However osha measures the fumes by how much is in the building not how much is in a single weld booth. I strip down and shower as soon as i get home to wash the snow off. I always drink milk when i weld galv. however i have read a few reports out of canada that say it doesn't help...but it sure doesn't hurt. I didn't know miller made respirators like the ones bacon linked to so i will pick one or two up. I have already told my boss that from now on my health comes first and if i cant do it safely they better find someone else. It may only be a 24hr thing but it really kicked my butt last night.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You should look into a 3M 6000 half mask with the correct organic filters. And when used change them every shift.
    Your local welding supply house will stock 3M or North or a good comparable.

I believe you boss is BS's you about ohsa,

Handling the hazardsThere are numerous elements found in welding fume, with hexavalent chromium and zinc causing the most concern for welders because of its commonality in welding environments. Hexavalent chromium is present when welding on stainless steel or using stainless steel filler metals. OSHA has mandated that prolonged exposure to fumes containing hexavalent chromium be kept below an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) of 5 µg/m3 (micrograms per cubic meter of air) with an Action Level of 2.5 µg/m3. Zinc, the other common element in welding environments, is a byproduct of welding steel with a galvanized coating and has an 8-hour TWA PEL of 5 mg/m3 (milligrams per cubic meter of air).OSHA requires companies to maintain exposure levels below identified PELs by implementing engineering and work practice controls. Engineering controls require changes such as material substitution, isolation, industrial ventilation or source capture (fume extractors or fume extraction welding guns). According to OSHA, engineering controls are preferred because of their ability to remove contaminated air at the source prior to spreading throughout the facility and reaching a worker’s breathing zone. Work practice controls require adjustments in the way a task is performed like changing an operator’s position. If these controls are not feasible or do not reduce exposures below established PELs, then personal protective equipment (PPE) solutions, such as respirators, are needed.If respiratory protection is the control measure for welding fumes, OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134 should be followed to establish and maintain effective respiratory programs. OSHA requires companies to evaluate their facilities to ensure the respiratory program is being followed and also to review the program if workplace conditions change or on an annual basis. Selecting the proper respiratory protection involves understanding the hazard, relevant work restrictions or requirements, and personal factors such as comfort and productivity. Any respirator chosen should be NIOSH-certified.A note: every welding environment is unique and should be evaluated by a certified safety professional or industrial hygienist to determine the appropriate course of action. This article is presented for awareness and educational purposes and does not replace professional consultation.Respiratory options in welding applicationsThere are three primary types of respiratory solutions ideal for welding applications: Half-Mask Respirators: Classified as tight-fitting respirators, these units extend from the user’s nose to the chin, requiring a tight face seal to be effective. Employers should check to ensure the selected half-mask can fit underneath a welding helmet without obstructing the welder’s field of vision. Most half mask respirators available for welding applications feature an assigned protection factor (APF) of 10. Selecting the correct filter for your half mask is also extremely important. Particulate filters are classified based on oil resistance: N – not resistant to oil, R – resistant to oil and P – oil proof. Filters are then separated based on filter efficiency: 95, 99 or 100 percent. The greater stated efficiency, the more particulate the filter will trap. P100 filters are widely used by welders because they filter out 99.97 percent of airborne particles and oil aerosols common in welding environments. Powered Air Purifying Respirators (PAPR): According to OSHA, a PAPR is an air-purifying respirator that uses a blower to force ambient air through an air-purifying element and a hose to the user’s hood or helmet. PAPRs offer an elevated level of protection in comparison to half-mask respirators. In welding applications, a PAPR paired with a welding helmet and head seal offers an APF of 25. PAPR designs have become less intrusive in recent years with low-profile blower units, lighter battery packs and shoulder straps that evenly distribute the weight of the system for users. Systems that further integrate flip-up welding lenses to expose grinding shields allow operators to perform both welding and grinding tasks without removing their helmet and head seal — minimizing opportunities for exposure to environments exceeding PELs. PAPRs often feature high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters that can remove 99.97 percent of airborne particulates 0.3 micrometers in diameter. In addition to protecting the welder from their environment, the continuous flow of air keeps the welder cool, potentially reducing heat stress-related injuries. Supplied Air Respirators (SAR): These systems are classified by OSHA as atmosphere-supplying respirators that provide clean air from an uncontaminated source. In welding environments, the welder would connect his/her helmet with head seal to a belt-mounted unit that is then connected to an air-purification panel using an air hose. SARs offer APFs starting at 25 and can vary depending on the unit configuration. These units allow welders to regulate the airflow while also heating or cooling the air entering their helmet.What is the right solution?Selecting the correct respiratory solution for your environment is critical. According to OSHA, one of the most frequent errors in respirator selection is choosing the wrong type of respiratory protection, potentially leading to employees being exposed to large concentrations of harmful contaminants. Once the proper type of respirator is determined using OSHA guidelines, companies are encouraged to bring in samples of various sizes, brands and styles for employees to try on.Respirators only provide the protection specified if they fit correctly, and in some cases, multiple sizes or styles may be necessary to properly protect all affected employees. Respirator manufacturers have gone to great lengths in recent years to reduce the size, weight and physical presence of these solutions, making them easier to use and less of a burden on the welder. Aside from the obvious protection benefits, increased comfort and productivity that respirators offer, in many circumstances, have improved the total work experience of both employers and employees. Finding respiratory solutions that provide optimal fit, comfort and performance can result in safer, more productive environments as well as increased job satisfaction and employee morale.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    OP, if you weld for living and your boss insisted on doing this kinds of work, I would recommend you to start documenting for your own good.

Who issued the works,
    when,
    where,
    What,
    And length of exposure.

Pictures are even better.

Who knows next week or 10, 20 years down the road you may need it, better have it than not.

Top Bottom