• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Starting in June I will be relocating to Indy for a year long work contract. I'll be working downtown mostly with significant time being spent outside of the metro area on the east side. I've been told others in my position have lived in the northeast side of town, lawerence, fishers, etc. I have never worked/lived in a big city before. So I'm looking to stay far enough out that I'm comfortable but keeping the daily commute to downtown under 40 mins. I've got the budget for something pretty nice, (apartment), and I want a nice area. I'm looking favorably at McCoordsville (20 miles, 30mins to downtown depending on the day). Definitely outside of 465. Or close to 465.

Just asking for advice if anyone else knows this area. Any areas to stay away from? How tolerable is the commute from one of these outer suburbs to downtown?

Thanks for your help.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Greenfield - easy access to I70 which would allow easy access to the east side and downtown. Depending on your work hours will depend on traffic. I travel through downtown to and from work but with my hours traffic isn't that bad.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Cost of living goes way higher in Hamilton County compared to the surrounding area. If you have kids, the schools in Hamilton County can't be beat though.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Greenfield - easy access to I70 which would allow easy access to the east side and downtown. Depending on your work hours will depend on traffic. I travel through downtown to and from work but with my hours traffic isn't that bad.

I'll most likely be doing at 8-4 work day. Or something close. Does that change your recommendation at all? Lol

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Greenfield, Fortville, McCordsville, Noblesville, or Fishers. Stay out of Marion County unless you choose to live in one of the higher rent apartment complexes or rent a house in Franklin Township (far southeast).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are 8-4 downtown, do NOT live where you take 70 into the city from the east side. One of the worst backups in the morning is the entire inbound stretch of I70 from 465 to the north split. The Outbound on 70 is just as bad in the evenings. I hit the edge of that traffic when I get off at at shadeland, and it sucks. Southbound 465 from Lawrence, etc can also back up as part of that. Greenwood isnt bad and cost of living is pretty decent.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If you are 8-4 downtown, do NOT live where you take 70 into the city from the east side. One of the worst backups in the morning is the entire inbound stretch of I70 from 465 to the north split. The Outbound on 70 is just as bad in the evenings. I hit the edge of that traffic when I get off at at shadeland, and it sucks. Southbound 465 from Lawrence, etc can also back up as part of that. Greenwood isnt bad and cost of living is pretty decent.

AMEN, to THAT ..... Live west, and you will be OPPOSITE of traffic .....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    To put a finer point on it, Fire up google maps during rush hour for a couple days with traffic flow turned on. Watch what sections go red. Make your decision from there. LOL

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    Congratulations. Fishers, Noblesville and the northeast side is very nice area, but the traffic at rush hour can be a nightmare, in my opinion. Assuming you work 8-5. If you go in earlier then you are better off. McCordsville is a nice area, I'm not sure what 67 is like at rush hour. Overall Hancock county is nice, New Pal, Greenfield, Mount comfort. Also, check out parts of Shelby county along I-74 that would be an ok commute.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    The west side definitely has less crazy traffic. I moved to Indy a little less than two years ago. My job is based near the airport. I wanted to have a short commute so I only considered living on the west side of indy. There are a few rough spots but in general I like it. There's plenty of apartments to choose from and the vast majority of shootings seem to be on the other side of town. Traffic isn't too bad and you're close to a lot of shopping and restaurant options in Avon and Plainfield.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Most of the westside apartments have gone downhill pretty bad. Look at apartments in Avon, Plainfield areas. Commute will still be under 40 minutes.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Do not overlook downtown Indianapolis. Many great places, including apartments downtown. The commute is soul-crushing.

I agree with Kirk. I would consider downtown. You may find a place within walking distance of work and you can always escape from the city for the weekends. I live on the NW side. I know of several rentals in our community if you would like to consider that area.

As most have said, 465 around the east side, northeast side and southeast side can be horrendous during rush hours. If need to go from the NW to the NE or vice versa, I definitely try to avoid the rush hour traffic.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I'm another one of those, "Why live in the suburbs?" posters.

If you're fresh out of college and a young single guy, try the urban lifestyle - you might just grow to love it! There's all types of stuff to do downtown Indy. It's a relatively safe place too. You can walk just about anywhere and you can get to/from places faster from downtown than you can from outside.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon

I agree. It is amazing what a few minutes makes. I travel from 67 (Pendleton Pike) to southwest side of Indy daily. If I pass through 70/downtown junction by 7:15 it's not bad. If I go through there 1 minutes later it starts getting congested. Just 5-10 minutes sometimes can through your entire travel time off big time traveling through downtown area during rush hour.

Top Bottom