Happy Valentine's Day, we're getting divorced.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My wife wants to end our marriage. Any advice? Not on trying to save it, that ship has sailed. How not to get screwed.

She told me she sign up and paid for wevorced, a mediation service today. I told her I would look into it, but I may want representation. She was not happy about that.

Some background:
    We would be married 4 years in June. She is by all intents and purposes my boss, so she makes more than me. This was my first marriage, her second. I came into the marriage with the house, her a farm, both still mortgaged. We bought a house together, also mortgaged. And no kids.

Anything I should know going into this?
    Thanks in advance.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    IF it's amicable and all asset division is agreed upon everything you need to diy is available free and online. In my case we filed the necessary paperwork and received a letter to meet the local DA, he looked over everything, asked us both if we agreed with the terms and that was it. No kids makes it even easier as there's less paperwork. Don't lose your head over this. You will survive and you will come out better in the long run.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Get the best lawyer you can afford. Then go and have an initial meeting with the man crushing lawyers in the area so that she can't hire them. The money spent will be saved many times in the long run. Ask me how I know.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Lawyer! Not now, yesterday! One more time, GET A LAWYER! You will not regret it! Get a lawyer, say nothing to her, volunteer NO information, don't propose any agreement, don't listen to her proposing any agreement, just get a lawyer.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I know a guy...he and his amicable and peace loving wife went to her mediation deal to settle...he left with his shorts and a pair of socks. GET A LAWYER.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Lawyer, Lawyer, Lawyer. Too many assets with related debt to screw around. A good lawyer will be cheaper in the end.

Get the best lawyer you can afford. Then go and have an initial meeting with the man crushing lawyers in the area so that she can't hire them. The money spent will be saved many times in the long run. Ask me how I know.

You sneaky bast...d! I did the same thing. She was so p..s'd when she found out she couldn't hire any of the good lawyers in town.

Once you have an initial meeting with a lawyer they can't represent her.

PS Sorry for your loss. Congratulations on your loss. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sounds like a lot of debt and little in the way of assets.

If you two can agree how to split things, and that is how the divorce is written save the money.

If you are going to not be amicable and there is a disagreement in how to split things, get a lawyer.

Not all marriages end with people hating each other, nor with trying to screw each other over in the divorce.

Jeremy032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2014
    La Porte
    Sounds like you have a lot of assets that may have value - get a lawyer. They will get you stuff you didn't know you were entitled to. No disrespect to the females but women can sometimes get pretty angry and change their minds during the process. I would of swore my brothers ex wife was bi polar the way she kept changing her mind. Men can get angry to but unfortunately they get put in jail versus being rational or compromising.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
    Do what Glueman says, I did this and it saved me THOUSANDS........

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Has anyone mentioned to consult an attorney tomorrow am?
    53568666.jpg

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Ok here's my story. Short version if possible.

My company moved me from Alabama to Indiana.
    After the second time my wife at the time got hooked on prescription drugs I gave her the choice of getting help or divorce.
    She refused help so I chose divorce.

I felt responsible for moving her and her two daughters to Indiana away from her family so I tried to do the right thing. Everyone gave me the same advice I gave Eric, but I didn't want to be a jerk.

I got some lame Attorney that was at best a chihuahua. She hired a man crusher woman Lawyer that had just gotten divorced. This little five foot nothing Lawyer was a raging Pitbull.

I spent $10,000 on Lawyer fees, lost over half of everything and had to buy my house back.

My ex-wife was a nurse that got busted the first time she got hooked on Vicodin for calling in scripts for the whole family then using insurance to pay for them.

The second time was about 9 months later when she got hooked again. This time she was working at a nursing home and stealing pain meds from old people laying in the bed hurting to feed her high. But I guess that's just another victimless crime according to some.

GET A PITBULL LAWYER!!!!!!
    You can always pull on the leash to pull the Pitbull back but the most a chihuahua will ever be is a chihuahua.
    If you want to do the right thing and meet in the middle then you have that ability if you have control.

Top Bottom