• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Chief of Chef? Just askin, but in general, copper cookware is solid as hell, albeit expensive. Extremely conductive so you can cook at lower heat, and the results are high quality.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have the 11" deep square pan and the 12" round fry pan. They're ok. Oven safe to 500, and work on any cook top, including induction which requires a magnetic metal insert in the pans bottom. Ceramic Non-stick and they recommend using non-metal utensils. Don't think they actually contain any copper, are just copper colored. Instruction sheet says heavy gauge aluminum construction. Oh, and they heat up rather slowly in my experience.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I bought my wife a Copper Chef set for Christmas. It didn't include a skillet, so I bought that separately. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a set with skillet at Sam's Club for a lot less than I paid. This ceramic stuff is the best thing since sliced bread!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a ceramic non-stick skillet that's another brand . Was super cheap at Walmart and I had next do zero expectations for it. Damned if it isn't my go-to omelette pan now. Eggs slide right off the thing with next to no oil.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    These ceramic super coatings usually work great...for a while, but all things eventually wear.
    They do say to season the skillets and pans before use. I would imagine that metal spatulas and spoons would be very hard on it, as well. It might be a good idea to use a little oil in the pan. Some people can break and anvil. Growing up poor, taking care of things is in my old DNA.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought this thread was about an obscure police revolver.

:(

Turns out to be a misspelling.

I looked a couple photos and see some potential issues.

1. The interior is copper (maybe just this model?) so, it's officially reactive. That means all of those recipes that call for a non-reactive sauce pan...
    2. Copper is expensive. So just like knives, you can't make a cheap product with expensive metal, I'm guessing the copper layer is thin; and thin == inefficient conduction.
    3. There's a reason every other maker puts the copper layer sandwiched inside other non-reactive metals.
    4. Any coated pan has a limited lifetime.
    5. There's a picture of a steak cooking in a coated pan - that's just plain wrong.
    6. Copper corrodes comparatively easily, so don't expect it to be bright and shiny without a lot of elbow grease.

I use cast iron, stainless steel, carbon steel, enamel coated cast iron and teflon coated pans; each one has it's own purpose. My teflon pans are cheap and I'm not afraid to throw them out. My cast iron are tough and rarely ever get cleaned with water.

I can't see any place in my kitchen for this thing. :twocents:

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    These ceramic super coatings usually work great...for a while, but all things eventually wear.

Cooks Illustrated did a review of them last year and said they were almost, but not quite, ready for prime time. They do work wonders for a while but sooner rather than later lose the non-stickyness.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Copper (along with silver and brass) has the additional advantage of being oligodynamic - bacterially self-sterilizing. Even if you don't clean it particularly well, it will kill bacteria growing on it.

If you want a good fry pan, try gold - very dense, so thermal conductivity is out of this world.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The infomercials for the various ceramic wonder no stick cookware with guys with annoying New Zealand accents make it seem like the coating is indestructible and you can use any utensils you want.

Top Bottom