• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    The next week looks to be warm and dry in NWI. I have not done anything to the lawn in over a year and it needs some help. What fertilizer should i be putting down, spring, winter, starter, or something else?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    It's honestly too early for that. Especially in the nw region.
    Come mid March use a spring bag. Weed and feed should wait until weeds are up which is usually late April or later...depending on the year. Liquid herbicide will do a better job on weeds than weed and feed fwiw.

If you wanted to do something now...get pelletized lime and put it down. This assumes you have the usual low ph clay soil most of us have. It's also very cheap compared to fertilizer.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Granular Urea

If you are that far behind on your yard it would be a good time to take a soil sample and give the soil what it needs vs throwing fertilizer at it, could be short on lime.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Most fertilizers are "organic" now, "organic" means human poop from city poop plants. It sucks to spread as it likes to clog the fertilizer spreader, I would avoid it at all cost for several reasons.

I was planning on using it this year. I follow The Lawn Care Nut on YouTube and he's a big fan. He's a former NWI Hoosier and I feel like he gives great advice and info. He's never mentioned Milorginite being difficult in spreaders?

Which spreader did you have trouble with?

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    It flows like ball powder, I had to dial down my spreader to nearly closed.

It stinks, btw.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    This will be the third Spring for me in my house. The first year I just mowed and trimmed since the house had most of my focus. Last spring I had shoulder surgery so I had Lawn Pride fertilize and spray. The yard looked really good for a few months but once the summer hit the crabgrass came and kept coming.

This year I'm looking to do the fertilizing myself and possibly the spraying. I'm still looking into it. I know I need a good pre-emergent for crabgrass. I just need to figure it all out. I may end up paying someone to spray again.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I was planning on using it this year. I follow The Lawn Care Nut on YouTube and he's a big fan. He's a former NWI Hoosier and I feel like he gives great advice and info. He's never mentioned Milorginite being difficult in spreaders?

Which spreader did you have trouble with?

I had trouble with all of the spreaders I used, I did commercial spreading, even had two semi loads I had to trash as it wouldn't spread.

Simply not a fan of spreading human poop on my yard, lots of parasites and bacteria in our poop. In theory the poop pile is so hot that any parasites and bacteria are removed but there is no way to insure all piles or spots get hot.

Top Bottom