• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    We're building a new house, and we were just given a list of HVAC upgrades. There are two things my wife is interested in, so looking for opinions from people who know more about this stuff than I do. Either of these thing worth the cost? We've lived without these things for years, so I'm not 100% sold on them.

4" Media filter $500
    i replace the filter on our current furnace every month. I need to because of the dogs. It looks like this upgrade would triple what I'm spending on filters annually, but I'm not finding a lot of benefits.

Variable speed blower upgrade $2,200
    I have a couple of friends who have gone this way, and they're telling me how great it is, but neither of them have had a repair yet. I'm reading that it's quieter than a single speed, offers a slight increase in efficiency, but is significantly more expensive to replace the blower motor if it goes out. Does that sound about right?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'd pass on both. Properly sized equipment, properly sized ductwork, properly balanced ductwork, a professional installation (everything reamed, pressure tested, 500 micron vacuum, purging while brazing is a plus). Those are the things that will actually save you money in the long run.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    If it's installed correctly and maintained properly it will last a LONG time. Filter change once a month is good. Get the pleated filters not the throwaways. Hose off the condenser once a year in the late spring/early summer after the cottonwood flies. Do those and you should have minimal service calls.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'd pass in the second, but I'd get an Aprilaire Spaceguard. You'd have to change the filter once a year. It's much better than the one inch filters.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I can get you a 4" media filter and extra filters for much less than that. They are just hosing you for that much money. I'm not knocking your installer but that is way too much. Pm if interested. Blessings. Tim

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it's installed correctly and maintained properly it will last a LONG time. Filter change once a month is good. Get the pleated filters not the throwaways. Hose off the condenser once a year in the late spring/early summer after the cottonwood flies. Do those and you should have minimal service calls.

This is the key to a long lived reliable HVAC system^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Variable is not really required. They are stupid expensive to replace.
    The 4" will get dirty as will any filter. I have yet to see one go a full year before it needs replaced.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the responses. At the end of the day, we're just trying to get the best return for our money.

The company is Airtron. I've had no experience with them, but this builder has been using them for awhile. I hope they install correctly. They may just be the low bidder. I have no way of knowing.
    I've been using the Rheem Pleated FPR4 from Home Depot. I go in once a year and buy a dozen of them. A three month supply is $10. Spending $40 every three months is a big jump. If it's that much better, I'd be all for it. I'm on the East side of Indy, and the cottonwood advice is solid.

I'd pass in the second, but I'd get an Aprilaire Spaceguard. You'd have to change the filter once a year. It's much better than the one inch filters.

The other option I had was Preferred Electrostatic Media Filter Rated at a MERV 13. Cleans 96% of Allergens in air at a 10 micron size, 40% of Allergens at a .3 micron size. Allergens consist of pollen, plant spores, pet dander, and dust. Filter replacement once per year for $1500. Again, I have no idea of knowing if this is a good deal. The one think I don't like about this option was the brand specific filters. Stuff like that makes me nervous.

I can get you a 4" media filter and extra filters for much less than that. They are just hosing you for that much money. I'm not knocking your installer but that is way too much. Pm if interested. Blessings. Tim
    The info I got was:
    The $500 was for installation of Media Filter Rated at a MERV 10. Cleans 83% of Allergens in air at a 10 micron size, 15% of Allergens at a .3 micron size. Allergens consist of pollen, plant spores, pet dander, and dust. Filter replacement every three months. Replacement cost is $40 at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
    I've been using the Rheem Pleated FPR4 from Home Depot. I go in once a year and buy a dozen of them. A three month supply is $10. Spending $40 every three months is a big jump. If it's that much better, I'd be all for it.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is the key to a long lived reliable HVAC system^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Variable is not really required. They are stupid expensive to replace.
    The 4" will get dirty as will any filter. I have yet to see one go a full year before it needs replaced.

Thank you sir. When they sell this stuff, they make it seem like it's the best thing in the world, and you don't give a crap about your family if you don't install it. My thought was go builder standard at construction, and possibly upgrade when it dies.

I appreciate the advice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not a fan of electrostatic.

These do have a place but not for all. High dust/traffic areas have benefited from one of these. They are spendy to install and require regular maint. to be efficient. The constant popping noise does irritate some folks if the unit is in ear shot.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    AirTron are the kings of residential hacks. Unfortunately they were the HVAC contractor when we built our house. They don't like it when you question their crappy work and know what your talking about. It was very entertaining. $500 for a 4" media filter is rediculous. $2200 to upgrade the furnace is just robbery. Sad thing is they do it everyday and charge that to uneducated homeowners. Just remember... any upgrades you accept... you are paying for with interest as part of your mortgage.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    AirTron are the kings of residential hacks. Unfortunately they were the HVAC contractor when we built our house. They don't like it when you question their crappy work and know what your talking about. It was very entertaining. $500 for a 4" media filter is rediculous. $2200 to upgrade the furnace is just robbery. Sad thing is they do it everyday and charge that to uneducated homeowners. Just remember... any upgrades you accept... you are paying for with interest as part of your mortgage.

Is it a thing to hire an HVAC installer to come out and inspect another HVAC installers work?

Either way, we're not rolling that stuff into the mortgage, if we do any extra work with subs we're paying for it. You're reminder is dead on, and told my wife the same thing about fixtures and such. I'm not rolling a kitchen faucet with a 200% markup into our mortgage with interest.

When we signed with them, they were having a "sale", so they're paying for most of the upgrades.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is it a thing to hire an HVAC installer to come out and inspect another HVAC installers work?

Either way, we're not rolling that stuff into the mortgage, if we do any extra work with subs we're paying for it. You're reminder is dead on, and told my wife the same thing about fixtures and such. I'm not rolling a kitchen faucet with a 200% markup into our mortgage with interest.

When we signed with them, they were having a "sale", so they're paying for most of the upgrades.

Just PM me. I will look your system over for a Cheeseburger.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Just PM me. I will look your system over for a Cheeseburger.

Sold! I'll PM you when we get closer. We're expecting to break ground at the end of this month/beginning of next month.
    I am also more than happy to pre-pay...primarily because I like to know where all the good cheeseburgers are.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If its the east side, Tie Dye grill FTW. *drool*

We're actually going to be in Greenwood. But for a great burger I would travel.
    I'm on the east side now and I love Tie Dye grill, but we've had some issues so we haven't been in awhile. We've moved over to the Steer In for a lot of our dine-out burgers.
    I would still recommend everyone try Tie Dye they can have some awesome burgers.

Top Bottom