• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have a Vizio flat screen TV, well several really. Anyway, one of them will not turn on.
    It used to take several tries but then it finally quit altogether.

I'm a do it yourself kind of guy and would like to fix it on the cheap.
    Any suggestions?

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I took the screws out around the periferry and the screen came loose but not off. It does not have an access panel like the one in the video. See my picture.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Check for screws around the hdmi connectors and inputs etc to make sure nothing is holding it there...

On many monitors and tvs, the bezel around the screen snaps in... nervewracking trying to unsnap it all.

I love the interwebz for stuff like this. I've repaired umpteen monitors by just replacing caps and restoring life. Good news is cap replacements last longer than the cheap caps they use at the factory during assembly

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    OK, I successfully got it apart and I have looked it over pretty good and have seen nothing obvious.
    Now to reiterate, the TV use to turn on but it sometimes took several tries but then stopped turning on altogether either with the remote or the off-on button on the side.
    Can anyone tell from the photo which area I should be looking at?
    BTW it has all the bells and whistles.
    The model# is Vizio VP322 HDTV10A

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The picture is too far away and grainy for good look, but it does look like the problem may be in the power board (the beige colored board in the middle)

Several capacitors are leaking, and the one above the transformer (red wire wound cube in the middle board) is bulging.

tv_zpsw5eyk19d.png

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I'll have a close look at it.
    Yes, your right, both of the big ones and the small one next to them in center circle in a straight line have a slight bulge in the top.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I won't post another picture but the capacitors in question are SAMWHA brand and two are 10 volt 3300 microfarad 105c(m) and one is 10 volt 1000 microfarad 105 c(m).
    Now all I have to do is find a source.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I won't post another picture but the capacitors in question are SAMWHA brand and two are 10 volt 3300 microfarad 105c(m) and one is 10 volt 1000 microfarad 105 c(m).
    Now all I have to do is find a source.

Wow..10v is really low voltage. You can use 25v or even 50v there...try to put in the same cap value though. 3300 and 1000 are common. Try mouser.com, digikey.com, or even a radio shack if you can find one.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I found a kit on eBay for my LG tv that died. I bought all three boards for 45.00 shipped. Unplugged connections and 5 minutes later I had a new tv. The boards were from new tvs that came in with broken screens

Top Bottom