• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm googling woodworking (without nails) and as usual got distracted and wandered off. Next thing I know BAM, the image search is filled with the most bizarre pics of buildings in the middle of construction projects or even the highway. Apparently "nail house" is a term used for privately owned property were the owners are being stubborn and development has to go on around them.

Most of these atrocities can be explained with one word "China".

nail-house-in-china.jpg

CLitSylVEAA-w2S.jpg

My favorite so far:

ap_nail_house_china_hill_red_aerial_ss_thg_130731_ssh.jpg

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    This reminded me of a favorite movie as a kid. "Batteries Not Included". Anyone who remembers that flick knows what I'm talking about! Man, now I need to hunt that movie down and reminisce!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thought this thread was going to go in a different direction. Kind of like when my aging father called me in to clean up his computer after he did a search for 'adult group entertainment in Indianapolis' while planning an innocent retirement party for a friend. :):

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Thought this thread was going to go in a different direction. Kind of like when my aging father called me in to clean up his computer after he did a search for 'adult group entertainment in Indianapolis' while planning an innocent retirement party for a friend. :):

A sweet little old widow at church that teaches kiddy Sunday School got in a bind like that. She was looking for adult sized bunny costumes for some silly Easter thing. She found herself hooked to some pop up host site and could not figure out how to get it to stop, so she pulled the cord and put a blanket over it. It embarrassed her so much she didn't want to tell anyone. It was a couple of weeks later that she told us about it so we could help her clear the browser.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So apparently the U.S. is more hardcore about confiscating property that communist China? Whodathunkit?
    Yes and no.

In the US, there's a bit of a cycle to it. Back in the development of NYC/Manhattan there were examples of people resisting development, with some awkward results. Post-Kelo, it is a bit murky.

In China, there are cultural/societal issues that can get in the way. It is easier in China to displace farms because profit is a state resource, so farms are, too. But, if the a local party member in a city has a rental property that's not much more than a shanty, but he doesn't want to give it up, it is more complicated. They are trying to be more law-oriented (which is probably a good thing), but wrestling with property rights issues like the US cities did about a hundred years ago.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As far as I'm concerned, that is the wrong answer.
    :)

Then what's the right answer? When it comes to eminent domain, the line drawing is difficult - literal and legal lines.

IMHO, Indiana has it fairly well balanced when it comes to municipalities.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I remember when Carmel wanted to build their civic center. Every store in a strip mall moved except one dry cleaner. He had a valid lease and said no.

so the city tested ground water, found a dry cleaning chemical in it at levels accepted by the EPA, but ruled that if the level rose it would be a violation so to prevent that they kicked him out.

puh-thetic

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I remember when Carmel wanted to build their civic center. Every store in a strip mall moved except one dry cleaner. He had a valid lease and said no.

so the city tested ground water, found a dry cleaning chemical in it at levels accepted by the EPA, but ruled that if the level rose it would be a violation so to prevent that they kicked him out.

puh-thetic
    Wow.

That's interesting.

Not quite how I remember it. ;)

Plus, I thought it was the tire store and a family who owned it and the mayor personally blackmailed the guy.

No, wait, that's not how I remember it, either. :)

Full disclosure - I wasn't "there" when that land was purchased, but I had friends involved. I was "there" for some of the longer-term cleanup issues.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    :)

Then what's the right answer? When it comes to eminent domain, the line drawing is difficult - literal and legal lines.

IMHO, Indiana has it fairly well balanced when it comes to municipalities.

I know this ship has already sailed, but imminent domain should be much more limited than it is. If I really had my way, it wouldn't exist. But no private interest should be able to deprive a person of that which they do not want to sell. And creating a tax base is not a legitimate reason for government to invoke imminent domain. But hey, that would be the case in a free country. Since this is America, it doesn't matter.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know this ship has already sailed, but imminent domain should be much more limited than it is. If I really had my way, it wouldn't exist. But no private interest should be able to deprive a person of that which they do not want to sell. And creating a tax base is not a legitimate reason for government to invoke imminent domain. But hey, that would be the case in a free country. Since this is America, it doesn't matter.
    So, conceptually, I do not disagree.

IMHO, Kelo is risky, and the far side of the pendulum. It is an example of what is possible for government, legally, may not be a good idea practically or politically. There was a backlash, and from what I can tell, Kelo is effectively an outlier.

Having said that, without some form of eminent domain, our modern infrastructure would not exist. The line-drawing can be difficult to balance.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    First I don't know why My phone is capitalizing everything.
    Second, this is not that related but reminds me of a funny story.
    My dad worked for a bridge construction company and was around during the interstate building heyday years. As a child I remember Having A Bedtime Story Book About The Little Old Lady Who's House Was In The Way Of The New Highway. I don't remember the story but it Must have been written by hippies because it disappeared immediately after the first time my dad read it to us. I remember sensing the tongue biting and tone of hih voice painfully getting through the book, lol.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I can't support using eminent domain for private development under the logic of public benefit through improved tax base. But eminent domain is necessary for actual public use improvements. Without eminent domain you wouldn't be able to leave your property, you wouldn't have any public utility service, your kids wouldn't be going to school. Any public improvement that required land would be cost prohibitive and take forever to assemble the corridor of pieces land. Each owner would have a stronger negotiating position than the last because the government/utility has an ever increasing investment in this particular alignment. Each new purchase would cost more than the last. Try building a 3000 mile interstate highway using that approach.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Well that is exactly how I remembered it. It was a strip mall set back from range line. I'm sure there were multiple abuses of eminent domain so perhaps the two are being conflated. No idea about a tire store.

i'm assuming it was a lease since it was a strip mall. That's a guess I admit

Wow.

That's interesting.

Not quite how I remember it. ;)

Plus, I thought it was the tire store and a family who owned it and the mayor personally blackmailed the guy.

No, wait, that's not how I remember it, either. :)

Full disclosure - I wasn't "there" when that land was purchased, but I had friends involved. I was "there" for some of the longer-term cleanup issues.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom