• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Wife and I are tossing around the idea of having a patio poured on the back of our house. Approximately 10'x35'. What's the standard thickness? 6"? 8"? My quick googling calculations is telling me about a grand worth of concrete. Any ideas on labor cost? Any contractor recommendations in the Columbus area? Suck it up and do it myself?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am not a concrete guy, but just had some work done. Labor costs about the same as the material, so if you figure 2k for material, double that, and it will be close.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    4in is standard. Labor depends on logistics of the crete and desired finish. If it's a pain to get to, expect it to be higher. Don't forget Gravel, delivery fees, labor for gravel, dump fees if you excavate etc.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Patio, Walks, Residential Driveways etc are 3 1/2". A patio that large needs good drained soil and aggregate under it to avoid Frost Heave during the Winter. The ground needs to be level and the Patio sloped away from the house to drain properly. Can you get a Concrete Truck to the site, or will it need hauled to it? I used to get Concrete Labor for same Cost as the Concrete, not so much anymore. Labor costs go up quick. The Prep work takes much longer than actually placing the Concrete.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    4" is the norm around here unless u want thicker. Too bad ur not in indy. I found some guys that were great and $2000 cheaper than the lowest bid on a 55' X 17' pour with a 12' X 17' X 36" footer for a sunroom broom finish.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Definitely no thicker than 4" for a patio. If you can find a crew that will do it for same as material, you'll be doing very well and may want to do your due diligence of looking at previous jobs they've done (good practice in general). I'm not a contractor but have done my fair share of finishing. At 10'x35'x.33'= 115.5 cubic ft. divided by 27= 4.3 yards of concrete. At an average of $90/yard that's a hair over $400 for mix alone, not to mention the gravel fill needed to get grade and proper depth as well as adequate drainage for reasons mentioned above. Some haulers do not offer half yard increments. If they do, you would want to be very sure of depth throughout all of the 115.5 cubic ft. of patio space. Nothing like being just shy of finishing the pour to realize you short ordered. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    $90/yd is a thing of the past, I'm afraid. It's more like $110 or so, especially if you get into fiber mesh and other additives.

Definitely go with a company with a good reputation. You don't want to fight it out with someone who screwed up $500 worth of concrete.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    $90/yd is a thing of the past, I'm afraid. It's more like $110 or so, especially if you get into fiber mesh and other additives.

Definitely go with a company with a good reputation. You don't want to fight it out with someone who screwed up $500 worth of concrete.

I see. It has been a while since I've personally bought and paid for a delivery. Anymore I just sign the ticket and hand it over to the book keeper at the shop to hash out. How long has this been the charge? It sure doesn't seem like that long ago I was paying attention to prices like that. Time flies I guess! :ugh:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I see. It has been a while since I've personally bought and paid for a delivery. Anymore I just sign the ticket and hand it over to the book keeper at the shop to hash out. How long has this been the charge? It sure doesn't seem like that long ago I was paying attention to prices like that. Time flies I guess! :ugh:

Lol, time does fly. Last time I did concrete was last fall. The price change was early 2016, and it was somewhat significant, so it hasn't been that long ago since it was $90. I didn't mean it to sound like it had been a while.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    B

This is great advice.
    No more than 4" for a patio, unless you want to park your car on it.
    4" max for patios, sidewalks, interior house floors...
    6" for residential driveways
    8" you can park an empty semi on.

Check here to determine how much concrete you need,
    www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/howmuch/calculator.htm

Both the contractor and the concrete company need to be reputable.
    A contractor can get a very bad batch of concrete, especially if the concrete company is an unknown.
    A good contractor will be able to "read" the batch when it comes in on a truck.
    If it's bad, they'll reject that batch.

Concrete that has ridden too long in the truck may have a VERY short work time, and this can drastically affect the quality of finish.

You could do it yourself, but if this is your first attempt at concrete, I would not recommend trying a project of this size.
    It also takes a while to learn the touch of finishing concrete.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Lol, time does fly. Last time I did concrete was last fall. The price change was early 2016, and it was somewhat significant, so it hasn't been that long ago since it was $90. I didn't mean it to sound like it had been a while.

I actually got it for 94 delivered about a year ago, but I also ordered 240 yds. Had I been ordering 10 yds or less I think I was going to be at 120 per yard.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Maybe, let me see what's around Columbus. Quote #1 was $2,200 so we'll see how that stacks up.

For its worth, when I was hunting concrete contractor's I quickly learned price was not the most important thing. I had a 10ish yard pad poured about 6 years ago, and went with the cheapest bid. 3 years went by before it started cracking due to not having the prep work done properly.

Next go round I went with a guy who was middle of the road in the bid's, and could not be happier with the finish product. Your going to spend many years looking at the final product, dont let a few hundred dollars be the deciding factor.

Top Bottom