• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As the title suggests I need some advice on what the best ways are to search for a job now that everything is online.
    My 18yo step son has to find a job. He has put in a few applications online but hasn't had any success. This would be his first job so he has no experience and doesn't have a diploma but might take GED classes in the fall. :rolleyes: It seems the job search process is completely different than in years past.
    Used to I would apply and follow up with management where I wanted to work a week or two later. All I know is he needs to get some real life experience because the gravy train is about to come to an end.
    Any advice on job search programs etc would be a help.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was trying to hold a little back but here's part of what is handcuffing him. He is 18 isn't going to graduate (far too few credits) no job experience, has nobody willing to stick their neck out for him because he burns bridges, Imo incredibly lazy. But he has to find something to start paying for something before he ends up homeless. Sad but true

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I was trying to hold a little back but here's part of what is handcuffing him. He is 18 isn't going to graduate (far too few credits) no job experience, has nobody willing to stick their neck out for him because he burns bridges, Imo incredibly lazy. But he has to find something to start paying for something before he ends up homeless. Sad but true

Been there buddy. sometimes you have to be the bad guy.
    Like I said up thread, check the laborers local

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Food service is always a good first job option. Whether it's fast food or a sit down restaurant, almost all still use paper applications and hold on site interviews. Usually resumes are not required.

He should be able to get a job as a bus boy or dishwasher with zero experience. I would recommend going for front of the house jobs in sit down restaurants. The hourly pay is lower but he would get tipped out and leave with cash in his pocket every night.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The last two months the brakes have been applied on the gravy train but his mom & I are doing what we can to make him earn everything now. His dad has pretty much given up on him so he isn't getting any help there.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Is the Army an option?? It's been awhile (10-15 years) but I had a couple of relatives that were at a dead end and joined the Army or the Marines...7-8 years later they mustered out with a GED and experience. One is now a truck driver, the other works for a company laying fiber optics cables.

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    Maybe the unemployment office. They may help in getting his GED and then help him find some work while he's getting his GED.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    1) Make him get the GED or move out. Your roof, your rules.
    2) Have him look into prospective jobs, or trades, and rather than having him JUST apply, have him try to see if he can arrange to shadow someone for a day to see what the job entails. This is two-fold and will show the company that he is truly interested (especially with no experience).
    3) Set a time frame, and stick to it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to chime in, i know a young lad in a position similar to your stepson about 6 years ago. Now the same lad has a resume he is proud of and is also a full time student. Just saying dont give up hope, some of us grow up a little slower than others. Doesnt mean he cant get himself back on track. Kill the gravy train but dont give up on him.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I don't know what part of the state you are in but there are warehouses all over central Indiana that are begging for help. Some of them are starting out at $13.00 an hour. Try staffing agencies that is who hire most of the labor around the central part of the state anymore.

FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Is the Army an option?? It's been awhile (10-15 years) but I had a couple of relatives that were at a dead end and joined the Army or the Marines...7-8 years later they mustered out with a GED and experience. One is now a truck driver, the other works for a company laying fiber optics cables.

*this

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    As the title suggests I need some advice on what the best ways are to search for a job now that everything is online.
    My 18yo step son has to find a job. He has put in a few applications online but hasn't had any success. This would be his first job so he has no experience and doesn't have a diploma but might take GED classes in the fall. :rolleyes: It seems the job search process is completely different than in years past.
    Used to I would apply and follow up with management where I wanted to work a week or two later. All I know is he needs to get some real life experience because the gravy train is about to come to an end.
    Any advice on job search programs etc would be a help.
    If I was starting out now I'd try Walmart. Just to get in the workforce door. The people that work there are not being over worked.
    BTW your OP shows 666 posts, this may be an omen for your step-son. Good luck to both of you.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like some good advice so far. I really appreciate it. His mom & I refuse to give up on him but he has to do something since he will be out of school soon. We aren't going to let him sit around all day playing video games. We told him at the first of January he has to find a job of some kind by July 1st. That gives him a month after school lets out to spend all day looking and going to temp agencies if he hasn't found one by then.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy

He sounds like quite the catch for any company... Perhaps military service could provide some of the discipline he currently lacks?

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Best response I can give is A-R-M-Y. I have seen several young men I would refer to as "slackers" (that's what we called them in back in my day), that came back from BCT with a new outlook on life and either made it a career or came out 6 years later with discipline, a work ethic and a marketable skill and or connections to get your foot in the door somewhere. Though my oldest son went to college and was in the Guard at the same time, it pulled his head out of his a$$, got him physically ripped, gave him a swagger in his stride, boosted his confidence and self esteem and helped him use his MOS and ultimate rank to translate to a good job.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom