• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm usually not one to brag, I really am a pretty reserved guy. But this time I gotta do it. My 16yo daughter just received an invitation from Harvard Medical School to come for a visit over the summer. And to shadow an Anesthesiologist for a couple day and watch a couple surgeries from an observation room. She has expressed her intetest in being an Anesthesiologist since she was in 3rd grade.

I may need a doctor when it sinks in how much med school could cost me. Lol

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I'm usually not one to brag, I really am a pretty reserved guy. But this time I gotta do it. My 16yo daughter just received an invitation from Harvard Medical School to come for a visit over the summer. And to shadow an Anesthesiologist for a couple day and watch a couple surgeries from an observation room. She has expressed her intetest in being an Anesthesiologist since she was in 3rd grade.

I may need a doctor when it sinks in how much med school could cost me. Lol

Congratulations! I have an AED you can borrow if needed.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OMgoodness I completely agree with that concern. Heck, I am concerned about that no matter what school she ends up going to. It seems to be an incredible issue on almost all college campuses.
    So far she has shown to have a spine and not allow teachers to feed her crap. She has spoken out against the masses in school during political conversations.
    She also informed me she talked with her JROTC instructor about being a Corpman (I think that was the term) to get the medical training she wants while serving our country. I was floored when she told me this today.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Congrats TChicken!!!! Just want to let you know that if she does get accepted to Harvard, there are quite a few scholarships, grants and other money things for those accepted to Ivy League schools. So instead of needing both arms and both legs, it will require just one arm and all your toes. ;)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    OMgoodness I completely agree with that concern. Heck, I am concerned about that no matter what school she ends up going to. It seems to be an incredible issue on almost all college campuses.
    So far she has shown to have a spine and not allow teachers to feed her crap. She has spoken out against the masses in school during political conversations.
    She also informed me she talked with her JROTC instructor about being a Corpman (I think that was the term) to get the medical training she wants while serving our country. I was floored when she told me this today.

Make sure she researches her options, first. The corpsman / medic route is more of an emt type of job. Great experience, to be sure, but not anesthesiology. On the other hand, someone entering the service as a doctor is (depending on the current incentives program) elegible for a big bonus. Like 6 figure territory at times. There is also partial student loan repayment from time to time.

Point is, there is more than one way to serve, and it's all honorable. So she needs to do the math to figure out which way helps her out the most in return. Or be dumb like me...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Congrats TChicken!!!! Just want to let you know that if she does get accepted to Harvard, there are quite a few scholarships, grants and other money things for those accepted to Ivy League schools. So instead of needing both arms and both legs, it will require just one arm and all your toes. ;)

She has been researching scholarship opportunities and grants available also. Since she is only a sophomore right now she has been advised to search this stuff out but not to apply yet, wait until next fall.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Very cool. Understand that IU is a phenomenal medical school and probably 25% the cost of east coast elite schools. I worked some of the "elite" grads in medical school and they were all way behind at actual patient care. They were probably smart, but residency is really what makes you Into the doc you'll be.

IU has a good residency in anesthesia too I think

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Make sure she researches her options, first. The corpsman / medic route is more of an emt type of job. Great experience, to be sure, but not anesthesiology. On the other hand, someone entering the service as a doctor is (depending on the current incentives program) elegible for a big bonus. Like 6 figure territory at times. There is also partial student loan repayment from time to time.

Point is, there is more than one way to serve, and it's all honorable. So she needs to do the math to figure out which way helps her out the most in return. Or be dumb like me...
    Were you too dumb to do the math part? :):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very cool. Understand that IU is a phenomenal medical school and probably 25% the cost of east coast elite schools. I worked some of the "elite" grads in medical school and they were all way behind at actual patient care. They were probably smart, but residency is really what makes you Into the doc you'll be.

IU has a good residency in anesthesia too I think

She plans to visit IU before summer for that very reason. She has been impressed with info she has gathered about IU med school

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Woobie - good point on doing the research. She has been looking at several schools. In fact she will be visiting Notre Dame this weekend for a tour.

I did some time in recruiting. My information is outdated, but the process stays the same. If you need help navigating that, just let me know. Usually recruiters try to help the recruit out. Then again, sometimes they don't.

Top Bottom