• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Now I has a sad. Thanks to monteryC6 for trouble shooting a bit. The good news is Meineke gives me free 15mi tow with my oil change and their shop is 9 miles away :): Truck should be here in a few.

i got out of the car after a trip where I donated six large bags of things to a church school and goodwill. On that trip I lost my Oakley sunglasses and my engine may have exploded. No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It looks like it cried or had a bad bloody nose all the way to where you parked it! That can't be good!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I got out of the car and smelled burning oil. My neighbors burn stuff so I hoped it was that. Walked to back of car for a fresh smell and saw the trail.

only leaks when engine running. But it pours out. Haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. Hoping to keep the car another year. May be cheaper to install a large above hood oil tank than fix the leak.

engine sounds fine. Hoping it's some pump or a hose or something easy. The filter cap looks fine. It's dripping off several different things up at least several inches from undercarriage.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Guy I used to work with many moons ago left for lunch one day. After a few minutes I happened to look out the window and see a LARGE puddle of oil where his car had been sitting and a trail leading off down the road in the direction he traveled. Working at a parts store at the time the boss told me to grab a filter and 5 quarts of oil and follow the trail until I found him and see if we could get him to limp home. I drove to his house where I found his car sitting in the driveway and knocked on the door to inform him of the problem. We put a new filter on it and the 5 quarts of oil and he drove that car for several more years. Forgot to mention that he lived 9 miles from work! Guess his old wore out early 70's galaxie was SO wore out that it didn't make much difference whether it had oil in it or not!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There should not be an external line or hose for engine oil. Trans cooler line maybe? If it is engine oil, I'd suspect a blown gasket of some sort.

Oil pump gasket or O-ring or something?

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There should not be an external line or hose for engine oil. Trans cooler line maybe? If it is engine oil, I'd suspect a blown gasket of some sort.

like some cheap, easily accessible gasket?

first tow truck said 60 minutes. This text just said 120 :(. It's AWD so they need a flatbed. The good news is the kids will be home to watch.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I believe this model has a remote oil cooler, with rubber(ish) hoses. An obvious place to check.

Could be as simple as a blown seal on the oil filter. I've had it happen.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, I always say worst case scenario...pop the fuel line, off toss in a road flare and walk away.
    But on a serious note if the engine never made any noise I would suspect something fairly simple

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    had one years ago where someone doubled up oil filter gaskets on accident and it developed a pretty good leak one day. Luckily I caught it before it was empty and was able to shut it down.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Top Bottom