• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I saw this on one of the atheist forums I frequent (wait for the video to load, the interview is worth it):

Jesus Christ statue beheaded twice in two weeks - CNN.com

I really like the way the man from the church (preacher, maybe?) responded to this. All I can say is that I would be furious.

I am very disappointed to see this. This type of thing isn't funny, clever, brave, or or "ironic"...it is plain stupid.

There doesn't appear to be a suspect yet. I really hope it's some dumbass kid, and not some half-cocked hipster "atheist" pot-stirrer trolling the local Pentecostals.

Strong words shared among willing orators is one thing, but I have no stomach for this crap.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Regardless of your religious views (and mine don't' align with Christianity at all), vandalism is vandalism. That would be near impossible to have fixed, or at least extremely expensive to the point of it being not worth while. They would need someone to recreate the entire head and reattach it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't get the need to desecrate or vandalize other's property regardless. Targeted a religious institution is a particularly douchey douche move, though.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Regardless of your religious views (and mine don't' align with Christianity at all), vandalism is vandalism. That would be near impossible to have fixed, or at least extremely expensive to the point of it being not worth while. They would need someone to recreate the entire head and reattach it.

Yeah, it would probably be less costly to replace the whole thing.

I'll be keeping an eye on the story. If the church starts any kind of fund to help cover repair/replacement costs I'll throw a few buck into the pot.

I really hope the asshat that did this is found. I want to know WTF he was thinking.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, it would probably be less costly to replace the whole thing.

I'll be keeping an eye on the story. If the church starts any kind of fund to help cover repair/replacement costs I'll throw a few buck into the pot.

I really hope the asshat that did this is found. I want to know WTF he was thinking.

Paul if they start a fund let me know please.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Maybe a security camera will go up and catch him the 3ed time. I have also seen people that just for some reason hated God and church, I know some who at one time said they were going to burn a church down. The folks started praying for them…..and they ended up in church giving their life to the Lord…they didn't see that coming.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I saw this on one of the atheist forums I frequent...

I know it's unrelated to the thread... but ...

Why? What's the appeal of an atheist forum, if you don't mind? Feel free to answer in the general religious thread, if you think it's more appropriate.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010

Why? What's the appeal of an atheist forum, if you don't mind? Feel free to answer in the general religious thread, if you think it's more appropriate.

Without getting into a deep discussion about it, I don't see it being any different than a Christian or Muslim forum (assuming they have those, I've never searched for either).

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Without getting into a deep discussion about it, I don't see it being any different than a Christian or Muslim forum.

The difference I see is that a Christian and Muslim forum would be based on something, on a faith. They have a common thing to discuss.

In my head, an Atheism forum is just a place to talk about how much everyone hates religion. I can't imagine it being a fun or engaging environment.

I'm hoping Paul might clear that up, if he so chooses.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    This and all the grave yard vandalism of late. The hate is out there.

Yes it is out there. I would like to know who it is causing all this hate and vandalism. We did not have this much of it in the past (prior to the election). Is it the angry Demos trying to make hate so they can swoop in and save us in 4 years, or is it some on our side thinking it is a "free for all"? I wish I knew so we could address it appropriately. Right now the media is having ball with telling us about it and trying to make it more than it actually is.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The difference I see is that a Christian and Muslim forum would be based on something, on a faith. They have a common thing to discuss.

In my head, an Atheism forum is just a place to talk about how much everyone hates religion. I can't imagine it being a fun or engaging environment.

No doubt there are those out there. Sometimes INGO turns into one of those :D. But there are sites out there where people can discuss the arguments for and against each point of view. Take a look at Frank Turek's site for an example of a Christian apologetics site. I don't know the atheist counterparts' names but I've heard/read of them discussed, so they're out there.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Maybe Jesus himself did it? :dunno:

"That's not what I look like!" Whack!

Angry-Jesus-meme.jpg

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis

So, it really depends on the forum.

The very best out there (from my view) is an invitation-only forum where atheists can speak openly about whatever we want without theist influence. We tend to discuss news, politics, and personal matters, as viewed through an atheist lense. Because we share some common experiences and viewpoints it is often easier to work through issues we have when navigating this largely religious landscape we inhabit.

A big part of the "private" atheist community talking about how to deal with the conflict caused by living openly as an atheist among the religious...how to "come out" to loved ones and coworkers so they will be the most understanding and accepting they can be, how to navigate professional and social roadblocks caused by our differing views without compromising our integrity or limiting our potentials.

The worst out there (like reddit's /r/atheism) are used largely as a public way to shame believers. I watch those to have some idea what is happening on the "public" front of atheism.

Does that cover it for you, or did you have other questions? I'm glad to speak to what I am able.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Interesting. I've never felt to the need to discuss anything in a closed forum away from the religious folk. Then again, an atheist is someone that is convinced that there is no god. I'm not really convinced of anything.

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Interesting. I've never felt to the need to discuss anything in a closed forum away from the religious folk. Then again, an atheist is someone that is convinced that there is no god. I'm not really convinced of anything.

Some of the most thoughtful conversations I have on religion are with Atheists....I am not a "young earther" and really enjoy how science and religion mesh up and the respectful Atheists (and Theists) we have here on INGO you can have those conversations without insulting each other.....

The fact that Paul is the OP of this thread and offered to help pay for the cost of replacing the head of Christ speaks volumes about the quality of both believers and non believers we have here on INGO...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Does that cover it for you, or did you have other questions? I'm glad to speak to what I am able.

Yep, thanks. Makes some sense. Not sure I agree totally with the feeling of conflict and "coming out"... as though it's a massive minority. Then again, I probably confuse Atheism with Apatheism. I figure most people don't care... and I suppose Atheism is different in that it actively doesn't believe.

And you're right, most of my view on the subject is seeing the ****flinging 'tards on /r/atheism. I know that group doesn't represent atheists as a whole, but when I think of a community of atheists, it's hard to think of anything but that sort of behavior. Your answer does help in changing that default view.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Atheists don't just talk about religion, or the believed lack thereof.

Top Bottom