• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I'm looking for an interesting topic to film a documentary and want to focus on buried treasure in or around the Indiana. I plan on picking one So what do you know? Is there anything buried in these hills?:popcorn: Thx

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Not exactly treasure

Here is a story my father in law tells:

My father in law's father and his friends would get together once a year to make corn liquor. Once the distillation was complete, his father would place his share of the liquor into a ceramic five gallon carboy, seal it with wax and bury it on his property. He would then dig up the carboy buried the year before and that is what he would drink on all year.

They lived in the area that would eventually become Patoka Lake. Patoka is a man made lake that was created by damming the Patoka River. When the core of engineers built the lake, there were a few towns that had to be moved as they were in the area set to be flooded. his father's home was one of these.

When the time came to move, it was right out the time that his father and friends would gather to make their corn liquor. His dad sealed up that year's carboy and prepared to bury it at their new home which was located out of the area set to be flooded, but when he went to look for the carboy that he had buried the year before he could never find it. He looked and looked, probing the ground with a long metal rod, but he couldn't find the previous year's liquor. Eventually the time ran out and they had to move.

I don't know if you count this as treasure, but somewhere under Patoka Lake there might be five gallons of some really well aged corn liquor.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Since you are in Evansville you might take up the story of the P-47's that were buried some place in Warrick county I believe. Part of the story was: at the end of WWII there were about 15-20 planes at the Republic Aviation plant (now Whirlpool) that were loaded onto trucks and taken out in the boonies (not Boonville ;)) and then buried for some odd reason.

Might make a good story and I always wanted to know how it ended.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i buy and remodle houses for a living and i bought a house once and found 50 bucks in quarters hidden under the floor once.

if you need to interview me just ask:D

duke

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    here is what I found after a quick search:

Indiana has a beautiful hilly countryside that is dotted with caves, underground rivers, woody areas, and many hiding places for treasure. If you are a treasure seeker, you may wish to spend some time searching for a few of the lost treasures that have not been discovered in several counties throughout Indiana.

Let’s start in Adams County, Indiana, which is in the central portion of Indiana with boundaries touching the state of Ohio. During prohibition, it has been told that a racketeer buried a very large sum of money along the banks of the Wabash River somewhere between Geneva and Berne close to where State Road 27 crosses the river. As of today, the money has never been located.

Off to Jackson County. The Reno Brothers were famous robbers of the area and in 1868 after robbing a train and burying the $80,000 they headed to Canada of course with a sheriff’s posse trailing them. Not only did they bury this treasure but also it has been told that in their home in Rockford, Indiana they also hid $98,000 from one of their other robberies. There home was not actually located in Rockford but somewhere in between Rockford and Seymour near State Road 31a.

Take a trip to Jefferson County and look up the old Harris Farmhouse fondly known as Bear Farm. Rumor has it that this farm was used to smuggle slaves during the civil war and many gold coin caches are hidden on the property. The farm can be found if you follow these directions. Go northeast three miles from Madison and when you see a hollow on the Ohio River this is where the gold is supposed to be buried. However, time has changed the area and the hollow may have changed.

If you have time and can get permission, you can dig around George Rogers Clark Historical Park just south of Vincennes in Knox County. You may be the lucky one to find the $5,000 gold coins buried during the Civil War by General John Morgan.

You may have heard about Al Capone, his henchmen, and his escapades around Chicago, but he and his gangsters were also known to travel through parts of Indiana as well. As the legend goes, one of his henchmen just prior to be gunned down hid 2,000 cases of whiskey in a cave somewhere close to Michigan City on the shoreline of Lake Michigan. The legend states that the opening of the cave was closed with explosives and the whiskey was worth around $300,000.

If you could find the exact point outside of Crown Point, Indiana in Lake County, you would find yourself a millionaire or so they say. A gangster by the name of Jim Colosimo, during 1920, buried diamonds worth millions of dollars. The exact location has never been found.

Even the FBI has searched for this treasure without ever locating the exact spot. Travel to Marshall County, then close to Bremen on State Road 6. There is a dirt road there and approximately one and half miles down the road, Jim Genna buried a very large amount of money contained in a steel box. He placed them under a rock pile in a pasture. Good luck finding this one.

In Martin County, just north of Shoals, Indiana right off State Road 150 where it overlooks the White River on what is fondly called Rock McBride Bluff is a fortune. During 1810, Indians from the area buried figurines and gold bullion in a safe.

Another bad guy that traveled through Indiana was John Dillinger. The FBI has stated that Dillinger buried around $25,000 in Mooresville, Indiana on his father’s 67-acre farm.

As the story goes, outside Terre Haute, Indiana along State Road 42 is a fortune worth $95,000. During the 1920’s it is believed that a bank employee embezzled this amount of paper currency from the bank and then proceeded to bury the money and then committed suicide.

If you can find any of these hidden treasures, you are much better at solving mysteries than even the FBI and the most prominent treasure seekers.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Indians overtook a wagon train of gold down in Martin County in the 1800's.
    It's supposed to be buried along White River near McBrides Bluff
    The Government back around 1930's thought they knew roughly
    where it was located, and dug several large holes in an attempt to locate it.

They did not.
    This lost treasure is listed as one of the top ten in Indiana.

There are several caves down that way, some along one area have
    Indian carvings on them.
    I "know" of one more that has a sealed entrance.

Sealed with a large white limestone star and covered with earth.
    This white limestone is not native to that area and had been ...
    carried in by someone years ago.

This star and cave entrance was found while two guys were
    digging for water about 40 years ago.

One guy has long passed, the other guy ain't talking.

Indiana has several lost treasures.

Indiana has several treasures to offer, if your eyes are open.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who would allow you to film them looking for or digging up treasure...most folks who look for treasure and find treasure keep it on the DL..if its a big enough treasure the state will put there claim on it and the feds will make you pay taxes on anything you are allowed to keep...you may be able to keep it if its found on private property in IN but by law you will have to give the land owner 50% of what is found...or whatever you sale it for the land owner gets 1/2 of it...plus you have to pay taxes on it..the laws vary state to state. now in KY..if you find treasure you can actually loose your property until the archaeologist say they are done with it...which could be never. it is against the law to even look for "buried treasure" in KY as most of the state is protected by some grave robbing law{has nothing to do with actually digging up graves...its just what they call it}

I metal detect and treasure hunt as a hobby..mainly looking for old coins and relics on old home sites and gathering places...if I was ever to uncover a buried treasure such as a box full of gold and silver coins,no one would ever hear about it.
    If you would like I can link you to some "treasure stories" for this state and you can feel free to investigate these if you want....but more than likely these stories have already been investigated and if there was any treasure to find Im sure its already been found.

I know of one story that dates back to the civil war where a group of confederate soldiers stole a bunch of union silver and headed to MO with it but they only got as far as the wabash river,where they had to bury it because they couldnt cross the wabash...only thing is the wabash has changed course in this area since then and it is most likely at the bottom of the river.

let me know if you want the link and Ill send it to you.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    There is a legend about a Welsh prince named Prince Maddoc here in Clark County. It's said that he actually came here way before Columbus found the new world. He also brought a lot of silver with him. This story is said to be connected with the blonde haired blue eyed indians. Then look up Tunnel Mill near Charlestown, IN. John Work built this place and it was said that the local natives blind folded him and took him to a large cave that was full of...guess what....silver! It all seems to be linked but nobody knows for sure and no one is sure the silver has ever been seen since then.

Sasquatchhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I know in Salem and around the ohio river there were lots of Miami indians. My bet would be on htose guys. Delaney Lake is named after Chief Delaney, A chief of a Miami tribe.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    if I was ever to uncover a buried treasure such as a box full of gold and silver coins,no one would ever hear about it.

This is likely the best thing to do. Recall there was a case recently where a plumber was doing work for a lady in a home. During the course of his work, he found that previous owners had put money in the wall of this older home. He told the owner and there were tons of very good condition, very old currency, worth much more than the face value. Of course now he is suing, saying he wants half. Then if you go public, allowing the local newspaper to take photos and such, then previous owners will be pulling out their old real estate contracts trying to find a loop hole to claim it themselves, etc. etc..

It is best to keep these things hush-hush.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    This is likely the best thing to do. Recall there was a case recently where a plumber was doing work for a lady in a home. During the course of his work, he found that previous owners had put money in the wall of this older home. He told the owner and there were tons of very good condition, very old currency, worth much more than the face value. Of course now he is suing, saying he wants half. Then if you go public, allowing the local newspaper to take photos and such, then previous owners will be pulling out their old real estate contracts trying to find a loop hole to claim it themselves, etc. etc..

It is best to keep these things hush-hush.

I have had people contact me wanting me to find "jars full of gold and silver" there grandparents/parents supposedly buried on the family property..I have agreed a few times to give it a go,but only after I made them sign an agreement that they would be liable for any taxes that may arise after the loot was uncovered and I would receive 20% of what is found before anything was sold. I was never lucky enough to uncover a large cache but I have found a few small less valuable caches the most valuable was an old container that had 23 silver dollars in it...all common dates and worth less than $20 a piece the land owner allowed me to keep 8 of the silver dollars. but the best cache I ever found was 1,000+ wheat pennies from the 40s and 50s. not valuable in the least bit but it was heart pounding when I started digging and could see coins in every shovel full of dirt:): the owner said her dad told her as a kid that he buried "100s of coins" which she believed to be silver and gold....I guess a penny would buy alot more back in the day:):
    finding a valuable treasure is like winning the lottery....it can happen but chances are it wont happen to me. if it ever does youll never hear from me again:):

cantstopsrfn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    keavy
    Caves

Indians overtook a wagon train of gold down in Martin County in the 1800's.
    It's supposed to be buried along White River near McBrides Bluff
    The Government back around 1930's thought they knew roughly
    where it was located, and dug several large holes in an attempt to locate it.

They did not.
    This lost treasure is listed as one of the top ten in Indiana.

There are several caves down that way, some along one area have
    Indian carvings on them.
    I "know" of one more that has a sealed entrance.

Sealed with a large white limestone star and covered with earth.
    This white limestone is not native to that area and had been ...
    carried in by someone years ago.

This star and cave entrance was found while two guys were
    digging for water about 40 years ago.

One guy has long passed, the other guy ain't talking.

Indiana has several lost treasures.

Indiana has several treasures to offer, if your eyes are open.

Do you know where these caves are? For several years now I've been wanting to take a trip that way in search of what I've read about is the Hoosier Treasure Cave. Do you live in the area? If i did come there could you or would you point me in the right direction? I read that a Joe Norman found the carvings in 1960, but never found the cave and research shows that he is deceased now. Please reply. If you could send a personal email address I'd like to chat and learn more about this.

Top Bottom