Friday Night Steel ERR... Motorcycle Gymkhana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you be interested in trying Motorcycle Gymkhana in Indy?

• Total voters

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi,
    My name is Chuck and about 5 years ago I pooled a few hundred bucks with some friends and we started the Friday Night Steel program at Marion County Fish and Game. Since then it's really flourished, and we've seen a lot of folks improve their skills. I've even had one friend thank me personally after he was forced to kill an attacker, which likely saved his life.
    Seeing this success and combining it with my love of motorcycles made me wonder if we could create something similar with motorcycles. I've been dying to try Motorcycle Gymkhana, which is basically an advanced form of parking lot practice. Here's Wikipedia's description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana_(motorcycle)

A sample course:

f7eQv.png

Here's some video of folks doing it:

Folks trying to start this in Alabama:

[ame]http://youtu.be/H057oT7JCuo[/ame]

Awesome guy from Japan (where this originated):

[ame]http://youtu.be/nIRFXv7W5yE[/ame]

This reminds me a lot of Friday Night Steel for a couple of reasons:

1) A few of us could work together to get this started without much $
    2) It could make us safer
    3) I think there is pent up demand for something like this in Indy
    4) It's a "run what you brung" event; you could participate with a wide variety of bikes, and they'd just be in different classes
    5) It'd be a lot of fun, but it would be very difficult to start without a few committed people
    6) If you practiced this regularly (i.e. monthly) you'd get a lot better at it
    7) It's a gateway to other sports. At FNS we graduate a lot of shooters to other disciplines (USPSA, Steel Challenge, etc.).
    8) It's a safe way to get started, with a controlled environment
    9) It'd be great for sponsors / local shops. We've had competitors buy literally hundreds of guns for FNS just to compete at a higher level
    10) It wouldn't have to cost much. Many of the competitors ride 250CC or 600CC crotch rockets. It'd be cheap to get a salvage bike, tear off the fairing and ride. Of course, your normal street bike would be allowed, and would be perfectly competitive in it's own division too.
    11) We could create our own rule book to suit local bikes and our practice space. We wouldn't have to strictly use the rules that folks use in Japan.

So, what do folks think? Is there enough interest to start something like this in Indy? Here's the questions we'd have to answer:

Is there any place we can practice?
    Can we get some cones?
    Can we get a stop watch?
    Would anybody come?
    Could we keep scores and post them on a website?
    Updated:
    Insurance? Do we need it? Where can we get it?
    What do you do about guys breaking a clutch lever and not being able to get home? (Parts for sale on site or make people bring spares?)

So, that's my idea. I'd be willing to help, and I'd love to make it accessible to new folks just like FNS has always been accessible to new shooters. Anybody want to participate? Anybody got a small parking lot where we could get started?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Who is the responsible party in the event of an accident/damage to property? Insurance policy required by event organizer?

Good question. With FNS, we were able to do it under the insurance policy of the range. For this, I'm not sure where we'd start. We'd definitely need to have a small entry fee to help cover insurance and incidentals, but I'm not sure if it would be our insurance, or possible "rent" at a location to cover their insurance cost.

I'm sure participants would also need to sign a damage waiver (event organizer not responsible for damage to bikes) and would be responsible for any damage to their bikes. My goal is to keep the course design simple and not too fast, so that any potential drops would be at slow speed.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Good question. With FNS, we were able to do it under the insurance policy of the range. For this, I'm not sure where we'd start. We'd definitely need to have a small entry fee to help cover insurance and incidentals, but I'm not sure if it would be our insurance, or possible "rent" at a location to cover their insurance cost.

I'm sure participants would also need to sign a damage waiver (event organizer not responsible for damage to bikes) and would be responsible for any damage to their bikes. My goal is to keep the course design simple and not too fast, so that any potential drops would be at slow speed.

ABATE holds courses in empty parking lots all the time. They might have an idea for insurance needs.

There are plenty of empty parking lots around town. Hell, there is an old Cub Foods at 10th and 465 (West side) that has sat vacant for 10+ years that would be about the right size.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ABATE holds courses in empty parking lots all the time. They might have an idea for insurance needs.

There are plenty of empty parking lots around town. Hell, there is an old Cub Foods at 10th and 465 (West side) that has sat vacant for 10+ years that would be about the right size.

That'd be an idea. I'd love to find a small racetrack that holds drag races or similar, where we could get a football field size piece of ground some night during the week when they're not busy. Like FNS, I just want to create a safe environment for folks to learn in a cooperative environment and have fun.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Seems like the motorcycle version of auto crossing? [ame=http://vimeo.com/12067348]Sea of Cones : A Documentary About Autocross on Vimeo[/ame]

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Seems pretty similar, but from what I understand Motorcycle Gymkhana is tighter and more technically focused. Most of the "tracks" are smaller than a basketball court and it's more about how fast you can do a tight figure 8's, tight corners, etc. It looks like the smaller bikes (250's, 600's) do the best just because they're light and nimble. If you keep the courses small and tight, it'll keep the small bikes competitive, the speeds low, and hopefully the costs down.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anybody know any Abate instructors personally? I met the instructors that taught my class, but that's about it.

Just a SWAG, but I'd think you'd want to go right to the top of Indiana ABATE. Get them at least informed from the beginning, if not completely involved for site selection, insurance and organization.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking the same thing; they may be a good source for info. I certainly don't want to give the false impression that this has anything to do with Abate or is sanctioned by Abate though.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I rode by the Speedrome today. Seems like a great location for something like this if we could work out the details. I would be concerned about oil and antifreeze on the asphalt though.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Having autocrossed for a few years (if starting in '78 is a few:laugh:) I can tell you that MOST venues will want to see your insurance for the event. Very few places will want to bear the liability. It's also a good idea from a promoter/organizers standpoint to have it for the same reasons.

A few friends getting together is one thing but if something goes wrong, well that's when you find out who is truly your friend!

Good luck, looks like fun!!

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Having autocrossed for a few years (if starting in '78 is a few:laugh:) I can tell you that MOST venues will want to see your insurance for the event. Very few places will want to bear the liability. It's also a good idea from a promoter/organizers standpoint to have it for the same reasons.

A few friends getting together is one thing but if something goes wrong, well that's when you find out who is truly your friend!

Good luck, looks like fun!!

Just so I understand, are you saying that most organizers want to see the participants' insurance?

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    1. I think I'm in love.

2. I want to participate.

3. This gives me a reason to purchase Honda's new 250.

If I can help in any way, please let me know! I will try and follow this thread but even if I can't assist, I would appreciate it if you guys would let me know when you get your first track set up.

Top Bottom