• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was born and raised in Houma La. I gotta say it’s been very hard to find true Cajun cooking (besides my dad’s cooking of course) up here in the North. Well Jsharmon7 recommend Papa Roux one day for lunch so we went there.

I've been told to try several places for their "Cajun authentic food" and a lot of times they always fall short. Seems like the standard thinking is put as much hot sauce in your food till it’s completely unbearable and that’s just not so. It’s a fine balance of flavor and spice. They way my paw paw always explained it to me was eating Cajun food is like a good torture; it hurts but taste so good you can’t stop.

Anyways we went and first off the atmosphere is pretty much what you’d expect to see down on the bayou; a hole in the wall place with very little and close seating, some upbeat jazz playing, and the workers hollering back and forth in the back.

I ordered the catfish po-boy and coleslaw and Creole for my sides. The po-boy was flipping BIG (I’m talking like whole fish big), it was messy, and it was full of sweet salty spicy flavor, truly the Cajun way. Coleslaw was a little dry but still good. Creole was just as I remember….dang hot.

From my first experience I can say Papa Roux is about as darn close as you’re gonna get without making the trip down. I’d recommend it to anyone wanting a taste and experience of the bayou. (Even though if you want the best mouth watering Cajun food you gotta find someone who can make a true Cajun gumbo….Dear Lord have mercy!!!)

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Doc, he is from the bayou state. If I remember right he came up here after Katrina, but still has his Dad hot shot the seafood from the gulf weekly.

Papa is a perfect example of what a true cajun is.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    That kid is a champ. Good for PaPa. I use to eat at the city market location every week when I worked near there. I'll have to make the trek down there again to show some support!

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    Welp, they made me a fan, I will go out of my way to spend money at a place like this and look forward to shaking some hands.

Top Bottom