• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    So Im venturing down the road of getting away from tooth paste that has glycerin, sugar, and fluoride in it.

So I started to do some research...

I Kissed Toothpaste Goodbye « The Mommypotamus

Interesting read. But are you to believe every thing you read on the internet.

So what say you :ingo: people?

Tooth soap? Tooth powder?

Amazon.com: Herbal Tooth+Gum Powder 2 Ounces: Health & Personal Care

I understand that we have modern medicine. I get it. But there is something to be said that we humans are engineered pretty good, and our bodies (with exception) do a fair job of putting themselves back together.

Had a brain storm the other day that involved thinking "why don't you see liquid calcium based tooth pastes to repair & strengthen teeth by having the calcium bond to the tooth's enamel?" :yesway:

***DISCLAIMER... IM NOT A DOCTOR. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    My wife is a dentist who does crowns and dentures. Knock yourself out :)

And that's just it.

I do exactly what dentists recommend. I even go see them for regular cleanings. :rockwoot:

I floss. I brush 2-3 times a day. I use a quality name brand non whitening toothpaste.

I use a quality tooth brush.

I rinse twice daily with listerine.

I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't drink acidic drinks - maybe an orange juice here and there.

Im not a sweet eater. :popcorn:

Drug & tobacco free. Been tested multiple times for all sorts of mouth disease etc etc etc.

Yes I still have cavities. So what gives? Surely we as SUPER ALL KNOWING WE CAN DO NOTHING WRONG HUMANS we are missing something here.....

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I switched to toothpaste and mouthwash without fluoride about 18 months ago. A year ago I was in and had to get a filling. The dentist said to make sure my toothpaste and mouthwash have fluoride (and to floss all the time). I'm using Crest Pro toothpaste and the purple Listerine now (I was trying to decide what to get and another customer there said to get the purple stuff... so I did :laugh:)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I'm with HoosierDoc -- knock yourself out. I'm sure my colleagues near you would enjoy seeing you more often. :D

Seriously, there are a lot of factors that determine one's susceptibility to tooth decay. It sounds like you're doing all the right things (assuming that you're brushing and flossing CORRECTLY.) However, beyond good oral hygiene and regular professional care (borrowed that line from TV toothpaste commercials), other factors come into play -- old fillings that are breaking down and giving decay a foothold, the strength of your enamel, the amount of root surface that you may have exposed due to recession and/or gum disease, hereditary predisposition, composition of your own plaque, how you chew and what your teeth are doing to each other as you sleep, etc.

And, believe it or not, there ARE some people out there who just aren't meant to have teeth. All of the above factors come into play and that person is just doomed. And there are others who never floss and seldom brush, skip seeing the dentist and, when they finally do -- have few or no problems. Life just isn't fair sometimes. :(

Contrary to popular opinion, dentists are not the bad guys. We're the only profession working so hard to put itself out of business. However, if you choose to eliminate whatever benefit you may get from using a toothpaste with an approved fluoride and other additives to save a buck or two, go for it.

Like I said, some colleague somewhere will gladly welcome you into his office. :):

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I brush with that Crest Pro White whitening toothpaste, floss, and use peroxide based mouthwash, currently Crest Whitening as well. I only brush twice a day, floss once a day and rinse twice a day.

I have only had 1 cavity, and that was back when I was 15 I think. It was so small they just drilled without an anesthetic or anything.

Working at a restaurant, I eat very unhealthily and drink lots of soda and tea. Which I am working on :D I don't gain any weight or anything ( probably because I am still young ), but I feel like crap all the time. I have switched to only apple juice, water, and orange juice. No more soda, and if I drink tea it is unsweetened with honey or equal. And I am giving up beef.

Your body probably plays a big role in it as well. Some people are more prone to cavities than others? I don't know....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can't deny the potentially bad genetic hand you've been dealt.

My mother and sister in law are hyper vigilant about their oral hygiene. They both have had all kinds of dental work done - no fault of their own.

Also, just like in the realm of cleaning rifles, there IS such a thing as "too much". Brushing too often + too harshly can cause issues too.

-J-

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Everyone's teeth are different. I was almost religious about oral hygiene and my teeth just kept falling apart. Literally. By the time I was in my mid twenties I knew that dentures were inevitable. There was nothing I could do. However I know some people who treat their teeth like crap and have no problems.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I went about two years without going to a dentist and rarely brushing my teeth. For at least a year during this time, I was using the almighty fluoride toothpaste when I did brush and using Indy's super high concentrated fluoride water. It didn't do me any good. Seven cavities, one root canal, and eventually a handful of crowns. My new dentist that did my work for me actually taught me and I was old enough to listen. After getting the issues taken care of, no cavities for over ten years, using fluoride free toothpaste and well water that has some natural fluoride in it. If I brush my teeth correctly, twice a day, and go to the dentist for a cleaning, I have no problems. I need to floss more, but I don't, but lately have been thinking about trying to really make sure to floss.

I don't believe fluoride does a whole hell of a lot. I also question the safety of the stuff.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Everyone's teeth are different. I was almost religious about oral hygiene and my teeth just kept falling apart. Literally. By the time I was in my mid twenties I knew that dentures were inevitable. There was nothing I could do. However I know some people who treat their teeth like crap and have no problems.
    Just couldnt put that little pipe down could ya? :D

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Brush 1x a day, no mouthwash, floss maybe 2x week. Drink way too much soda. Eat tons of sweets. Never had a cavity. Never had any work done other than repairs (chips). Haven't been to the dentist in probably 5 years.

WoodenMetal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    NE
    I brush with either Toms (sodium lauryl sulfate free) toothpaste or a little baking soda. In a pinch just water and my toothbrush. What cleans your teeth is the scrubbing action itself. I do this 1-2x a day.
    I visit the dentist about once every 10 years to clean off the buildup. I eat a small amount of chocolate everyday, but no soda or excessively sugary foods. No cavities so far and I hope I never get one! I am scared of what they have to do in there to fix them!

Top Bottom