• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrownSafe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Hey guys! We're going to be doing a new review on a few different flashlights. Below is a list of the flashlights we have on order. We want to include answers to your questions in this review.

Fenix LD12
    Sunwayman V11R
    Surefire E2D
    Inova X1
    Nitefighter BT40
    Spark SD6-500CW
    Dereelight Nightmaster
    Orbita Lighthouse
    Wicked Laser Arctic w/ Phosforce Attachment
    Prometheus Alpha
    Armytek Barracuda XM-L@ (either U2 or U3)
    potentially a Rofis JR20
    potentially an Armytek Predator Pro
    potentially an Armytek Viking Pro

So, what do you want to know about any of these models? Perhaps which ones work well with firearms? Which ones are best for EDC? Anybody in the market, or already own a model? Let us know! All input appreciated!

For reference, take a look at our past few reviews to see the quality reviews we do:
    Kahr P380 - Best Concealed Carry Pistol | BROWN SAFE Research Labs
    Wicked Laser - Top 10 Ingenious Uses for a Wicked Laser Arctic | BROWN SAFE Research Labs
    Superb Switchblades | BROWN SAFE Research Labs

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I see reviews for high end lights all the time, why not review lights in the under 100 buck range for those of us who would never hear the end of spending 100+ on a light from their wonderful wife :)

BrownSafe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    I see reviews for high end lights all the time, why not review lights in the under 100 buck range for those of us who would never hear the end of spending 100+ on a light from their wonderful wife :)

Many of the lights on the list are under $100! The Inova X1 is around $30!

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    We have short reviews on almost every light we sell right on the product page....as does most retailers.

Personally, what I think would be cool is torture tests. Will the $20 light really hold up as a weapon light or heavy use EDC...etc.

Up until a year or so ago I used to beat up new light models when they came in to see what made them fail, or if they worked as intended..etc. I just don't have a lot of time for that these days.... But it was always interesting...

BrownSafe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry, posted quick at work. I want to know if those are reliable. I paid under $100 for a 1000-lumen that seemed awesome. Are they durable? Got my brother and father a 1000-lumen one for under $65.

Found some interesting info when researching them.

Look at this thread on another forum, and maybe it could help you make a decision: Monster Flashlight (Brand))

It looks as if they're simply rebranding and selling. Here is one of the comments that talk about their customer service:

"I do have a Monster Flashlight. I bought it about 5 months ago when I was looking for an upgrade in performance to my Olight M20s. I came across the MonsterFlashlight brand and read what they had to say there. I emailed Monster Flashlight and asked quite a few questions before I bought my light. They always answered my email promptly and answered all my questions. I decided to give them a try. I bought a P7C-900. It is listed at 900 lumens. I was worried that the light would get hot on high mode if left on for very long. I was told that it had excellent heat sink and would be fine. In fact that is the case as the light stays fairly cool.
    When I got the light, I was happy with the quality of the build. What I wasn't happy with was the fact that the light was barely brighter than my Olight M20s and didn't throw as well. It had more spill but there is no way this light has anywhere close to 900 lumens. So what did I do?
    I emailed Monster Flashlights to ask them what was up with the poor performance of my light. That was the last I ever heard from them. They didn't answer my email. I just assumed that they had their sale and were moving on to the next sale.

I will admit that I have no way to measure the lumens of this light. The only thing I can do is compare it to other lights that I have. I have picked up quite a few lights since I bought this light and I am not as green around the edges as I was when I bought the Monster. I have a Shiningbeam Blaze to compare to the Monster P7C-900. The Blaze is listed at 720 lumens on high and 400 lumens on low where as the Monster is listed at 900 lumens on high. There is no comparison to the brightness of these lights. The Blaze blows the P7C-900 out of the water. On medium the Blaze at it's listed 400 lumens looks slightly brighter than the Monster. I just stepped outside just now to compare the two again so I wouldn't get it wrong. On high, the Monster doesn't have as much spill, brightness or throw as the Blaze does on the medium mode.
    I'm not saying that the Monster is a bad flashlight. What I am saying is that my light isn't near as bright as advertised and not even close to other high output lights I own. Maybe I got a bad sample of the Monsterflashlight. I just assumed that when they didn't return my email, they just wanted to be through with me. I seldom use the Monster anymore. I placed it on my 22 rifle as a weapons light. It is bright enough for a 22 but not bright enough or throw far enough for my more powerful rifles."

But don't take my word. Do your own research!

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    you can put whatever lumen number you want on the box, no one will stop you.

A good rule of thumb... Look at what LED the light has in it (lets say a Cree XPG-G2) Go find a light from a big name brand such as Surefire, Fenix or Foursevens that also has a Cree XPG-G2 LED in it. If these lights say the output on high is 500 lumens (just an example), then its prolly in the ball park. So if a no name brand like Monster claims 800 lumens from a light with a XPG-G2... its prolly an inflated number.

In others words, a Cree XPG-G2 is a Cree XPG-G2. Doesn't matter what the name of the light it. You can have some variances with the chip and current and lens, but not a 300 lumen one.

BrownSafe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    you can put whatever lumen number you want on the box, no one will stop you.

A good rule of thumb... Look at what LED the light has in it (lets say a Cree XPG-G2) Go find a light from a big name brand such as Surefire, Fenix or Foursevens that also has a Cree XPG-G2 LED in it. If these lights say the output on high is 500 lumens (just an example), then its prolly in the ball park. So if a no name brand like Monster claims 800 lumens from a light with a XPG-G2... its prolly an inflated number.

In others words, a Cree XPG-G2 is a Cree XPG-G2. Doesn't matter what the name of the light it. You can have some variances with the chip and current and lens, but not a 300 lumen one.

Thanks for clarifying that, boss.

Top Bottom