• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    With all the problems Toyota and Honda are having lately, have any of you changed your mind about American made vehicles?
    It seems to me these recalls and questions about hidden data on problems, will cause an impact on resale value.
    Just wondering what people are thinking now?:dunno:

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I think that now that the US government owns the domestic auto manufacturers, they are trying to discourage people from shopping the foreign competition. My local mechanic says he has never seen a Toyota in his shop for any sort of gas pedal problems. He also said that he would be confident in buying a Toyota, even now.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    My parents bought a Chrysler a couple years ago that had a couple outstanding recall repairs on it. All you have to do is take it in to the dealer and have it checked for them. If there are any not completed, the dealer will do them and bill the manufacturer. No big deal. I don't see these recalls being any reason to stop buying a particular make of automobile.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    UPDATE: There seems to be more they haven't let the public know about.

msnbc_ban.gif
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MSNBC.com[/FONT]

Toyota eyes recall of world’s best-selling car
    Possible power-steering problems with Corolla subcompact investigated
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press
    updated 4:15 a.m. ET, Wed., Feb. 17, 2010

TOKYO - Toyota is looking into possible power-steering problems with the Corolla subcompact, the world's best-selling car, the automaker's executive on quality control said on Wednesday.
    The news came as Toyota took full-page ads in major Japanese newspapers to apologize for massive recalls, and began fixing braking glitches for two problem hybrid models, as pressure continued to build on the automaker to come clean on defects.
    The executive said the automaker is considering a recall of the Corolla, but no decision has been made as the company is still looking into the complaints in the United States, which are fewer than 100.
    Shinichi Sasaki, the executive overseeing quality at Toyota Motor Corp., said details of what may be wrong and possible numbers of needed repairs were still unclear.
    Toyota faces a growing investigation by U.S. federal authorities. Some U.S. lawmakers want Toyota President Akio Toyoda to appear at a Feb. 24 Congressional committee hearing that is examining the problem of sticky gas pedals behind an earlier global recall.
    But, Toyoda said Wednesday he would not attend the hearing and entrusted his U.S. company officials to answer questions on the massive recalls.
    The company also promised a brake-override system in all future models worldwide.
    Toyota has recalled 8.5 million vehicles globally during the past four months because of problems with sticking gas pedals, floor mats trapping accelerators and faulty brake programming.
    'We apologize from the bottom of our hearts'
    Toyota's advertisements in nationally circulated Japanese newspapers focused on the recalls in Japan, which affect the Prius gas-electric hybrid and two other hybrids — the Sai, sold only in Japan, and the Lexus HS250h, also sold in North America.
    The newspaper notice asks owners to bring their cars to Toyota and Lexus dealers nationwide starting Wednesday. The fix on the Prius began last week.
    "We apologize from the bottom of our hearts for the great inconvenience and worries that we have caused you all," the black-and-white ads say.
    Toyota has published similar ads of apology in U.S. papers. Toyota has also stopped airing TV ads in Japan for models affected by the recall, although it has continued them for other models.
    Toyota in Japan had no immediate comment on the order Tuesday from the U.S. Transportation Department to hand over documents related to its massive recalls. The department wants to know how long the automaker knew of safety defects before taking action.

Toyota's U.S. unit said in a statement that it "takes its responsibility to advance vehicle safety seriously and to alert government officials of any safety issue in a timely manner."
    "We are reviewing NHTSA's request and will cooperate to provide all the information they have requested," it said.
    Toyota must respond within 30 to 60 days or face fines.

Death reports surge
    Reports of deaths in the U.S. connected to sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles have surged in recent weeks, with the alleged death toll reaching 34 since 2000, according to new consumer data gathered by the U.S. government.
    Under federal law, automakers must notify the department's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration within five days of determining that a safety defect exists and promptly conduct a recall.
    Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has said the government is considering civil penalties for Toyota over its handling of the recalls.
    The maximum fine is more than $16 million. The largest auto industry fine came in 2004, when General Motors paid $1 million for responding too slowly on a recall of nearly 600,000 vehicles over windshield wiper failure.
    The probe extends beyond Toyota's U.S. operations, a request that safety experts said was unprecedented for a federal agency tasked with regulating vehicles domestically.
    The agency is seeking information on Toyota vehicles that were sold overseas and also subject to U.S. recalls for problems with sticking gas pedals.
    Toyota told NHTSA in January that the problem appeared in Europe beginning in December 2008. Toyota has said it began fixes on that in August 2008, but the company failed to link that with gas pedal problems in the U.S., which surfaced in October 2009.
    NHTSA also wants to know how seriously Toyota considered the possibility that electronics of the gas pedal system might play a role. The company has said tests show that electronics were not to blame.
    Production suspended at some U.S. plants
    Overnight, Toyota also suspended production at some of its U.S. plants.
    It has also temporarily suspended production of the Sai and Lexus HS250h hybrids in Japan until it comes up with the software fix. It was unclear when production would resume. Kyodo news said production will likely resume Monday.
    Prius production has continued because Toyota quietly fixed the glitch in models going into production since late January.
    Toyota is halting production temporarily in San Antonio, Texas, and Georgetown, Kentucky, to address concerns that too many unsold vehicles may be building up at dealerships because of the large recalls.
    Company spokesman Mike Goss said the Texas plant, which builds the Tundra pickup truck, would take production breaks for the weeks of March 15 and April 12. The Kentucky plant, which makes the Camry, Avalon and Venza vehicles, plans to take a production break on Feb. 26 and may not build vehicles on three more days in March and April.
    In addition, the company's plant in Huntsville, Alabama, will idle some production during the same time as the San Antonio facility, according to company spokeswoman Stephanie Deemer. The Alabama factory makes V-8 engines for the Tundra pickup trucks that are assembled in Texas.

In late January, Toyota halted production of recalled brands throughout the United States for about a week.
    The U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is holding a hearing on Feb. 24 on Toyota's gas pedal problems. The House Energy and Commerce Committee has scheduled one the next day. Toyota Motor North America chief executive Yoshi Inaba, LaHood and NHTSA Administrator David Strickland are expected to testify at both meetings.
    The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee has scheduled a March 2 hearing.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35434118/ns/business-autos/

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I need to be looking into a buying a new vehicle in the near future and the recall has made me rethink about which vehicle to buy. Toyota was on the top of my list until the recall. It's not so much the recall, but how the company and dealerships make things right. I am uncomfortable with a recall and no immediate fix for the problem.
    I'll have to watch and see how this plays out before I rule out Toyota, but I am concerned about their vehicles. Ford moved up to #1 on my list.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I choose Subaru as my Japanese automaker over any other. Best car you can buy for the value.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It would not bother me in the least to buy a Toyota.

And I would buy another Ford just because they didn't take the .gov dollars.

I've had a couple of Fords literally fall apart while they sat in my garage overnight. .gov dollars or not, I'm hesitant to buy another one. I have no problem buying American (I would prefer it), but show me a car that's actually American first (built in America by an American company), and then show me one that I can actually afford that isn't a steaming pile of garbage.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I've had a couple of Fords literally fall apart while they sat in my garage overnight. .gov dollars or not, I'm hesitant to buy another one. I have no problem buying American (I would prefer it), but show me a car that's actually American first (built in America by an American company), and then show me one that I can actually afford that isn't a steaming pile of garbage.

Hmmm... well, what's your budget look like? Might take a look at one of these :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Mine, I guess, would be considered a hybrid, partially built in Canada and partially in the U.S.

It is a 2000 F-250 V10 with 109,000 miles on it. Mechanically, I have done almost nothing to it until this last year where I have had a few minor problems.

My wife bought a used Taurus a couple years back. Yep, piece of crap.

I used to sew leather seats for several models of Toyota, and two of our company cars were Toyotas that saw A LOT of abuse by employees on errands or business trips and ran like champs.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My wife bought a used Taurus a couple years back. Yep, piece of crap.

BOTH of the Fords I had were Taurus's. On one of them, the right front spring broke while it sat in my garage. It was covered under a silent recall (WTF is a silent recall!?) due to an engineering defect. They replaced the tire it shredded, too. The second time this same car broke in my garage, it was the exact same problem but on the rear spring. That was inexplicably not an engineering defect even though it was the same problem. I had to pay for that one myself.

I drive a Kia now. I was hesitant about buying a Korean-made car, but it's what I could afford, and so far it's about the most comfortable and best-built car I've owned in probably 12 years.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    BOTH of the Fords I had were Taurus's. On one of them, the right front spring broke while it sat in my garage. It was covered under a silent recall (WTF is a silent recall!?) due to an engineering defect. They replaced the tire it shredded, too. The second time this same car broke in my garage, it was the exact same problem but on the rear spring. That was inexplicably not an engineering defect even though it was the same problem. I had to pay for that one myself.

I drive a Kia now. I was hesitant about buying a Korean-made car, but it's what I could afford, and so far it's about the most comfortable and best-built car I've owned in probably 12 years.

Trying parking the Kia in the driveway. Sounds like your garage likes to eat cars.:D

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    BOTH of the Fords I had were Taurus's. On one of them, the right front spring broke while it sat in my garage. It was covered under a silent recall (WTF is a silent recall!?) due to an engineering defect. They replaced the tire it shredded, too.

Nothing silent about that one.

Auto Recall Date: JUL 15, 2004

Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:COIL SPRINGS
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 899060
    Model Affected
    2001 FORD TAURUS

2001 Ford Taurus Defect Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS COULD FRACTURE DUE TO CORROSION ASSOCIATED WITH SALT USED ON THE ROADWAYS DURING THE WINTER. A FRACTURED SPRING COULD MOVE PAST THE SPRING SEAT AND CONTACT A FRONT TIRE.

Defect Consequence:
    IF THIS OCCURS, THE TIRE MAY RUPTURE RESULTING IN A RAPID AIR LOSS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL PROTECTIVE SPRING SHIELDS. IN ADDITION, FORD IS EXTENDING THE WARRANTY COVERAGE OF THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS IN ALL OTHER STATES, FOR FRACTURE ONLY, UP TO 10 YEARS OF SERVICE OR 150,000 MILES, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. IF THE VEHICLE HAS ALREADY ACCUMULATED MORE THAN 150,000 MILES, THIS COVERAGE WILL LAST UNTIL JULY 31, 2005. IF EITHER FRONT COIL SPRING FRACTURES, DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH FRONT SPRINGS AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER.

AN INTERIM NOTICE WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON AUGUST 2, 2004. PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE 2000-2001 MY VEHICLES AND OWNERS WERE SENT A LETTER ON JANUARY 10, 2005, ADVISING THEM TO BRING IN THEIR VEHICLES FOR REPAIR PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE FOR THE 1999 MY VEHICLES BY THE END OF FEBRUARY 2005 AND OWNERS OF THESE VEHICLES WILL BE NOTIFIED THEN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:

Notes:
    FORD MOTOR COMPANY 04S17

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I am a long-time fan of GM products, owned them for 20 years, but I will not buy products from the government. My Pontiac Vibe, a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac logo, has opened my eyes to Toyota as a carmaker. My friends with Hondas have nothing but good things to say about them. My next purchase will be a truck, and while I used to say that Japanese automakers had no idea how to build a real truck, I'll be taking a close look at the F150 equivalents (Tundra? Ridgeline?) when the time comes, Toby Keith notwithstanding.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

AN INTERIM NOTICE WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON AUGUST 2, 2004.

Huh. I bought mine second-hand with 10k miles on it, and even registered with Ford but never got a recall notice. The dealer told me it was a silent recall when I took it in (read: had it towed) for service.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't think the problems are nearly as severe as the government is making them out to be. We must remember, the US government has nationalized two of our auto manufacturers, and I think there is a distinct possibility they are merely abusing their power now to attack a competitor.

Toyota has already fired a shot back, idling two of their American plants, and their workers, for a brief time. If they keep getting pushed, they'll shut those plants, the ones producing problem vehicles, completely and move production back to Japan, and let .gov figure out what to do with an even larger unemployment problem.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't think the problems are nearly as severe as the government is making them out to be. We must remember, the US government has nationalized two of our auto manufacturers, and I think there is a distinct possibility they are merely abusing their power now to attack a competitor.

Toyota has already fired a shot back, idling two of their American plants, and their workers, for a brief time. If they keep getting pushed, they'll shut those plants, the ones producing problem vehicles, completely and move production back to Japan, and let .gov figure out what to do with an even larger unemployment problem.

This was my first thought as soon as I heard there was going to be an investigation. Our current government is nothing more than a bunch of thugs. This looks like Chicago politics to me.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County

Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:SPRINGS:COIL SPRINGS
    Estimated Vehicles Affected: 899060
    Model Affected
    2001 FORD TAURUS

2001 Ford Taurus Defect Summary:
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS COULD FRACTURE DUE TO CORROSION ASSOCIATED WITH SALT USED ON THE ROADWAYS DURING THE WINTER. A FRACTURED SPRING COULD MOVE PAST THE SPRING SEAT AND CONTACT A FRONT TIRE.

Defect Consequence:
    IF THIS OCCURS, THE TIRE MAY RUPTURE RESULTING IN A RAPID AIR LOSS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL PROTECTIVE SPRING SHIELDS. IN ADDITION, FORD IS EXTENDING THE WARRANTY COVERAGE OF THE FRONT COIL SPRINGS IN ALL OTHER STATES, FOR FRACTURE ONLY, UP TO 10 YEARS OF SERVICE OR 150,000 MILES, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. IF THE VEHICLE HAS ALREADY ACCUMULATED MORE THAN 150,000 MILES, THIS COVERAGE WILL LAST UNTIL JULY 31, 2005. IF EITHER FRONT COIL SPRING FRACTURES, DEALERS WILL REPLACE BOTH FRONT SPRINGS AT NO CHARGE TO THE OWNER.

AN INTERIM NOTICE WAS SENT TO OWNERS ON AUGUST 2, 2004. PARTS ARE NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE 2000-2001 MY VEHICLES AND OWNERS WERE SENT A LETTER ON JANUARY 10, 2005, ADVISING THEM TO BRING IN THEIR VEHICLES FOR REPAIR PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE FOR THE 1999 MY VEHICLES BY THE END OF FEBRUARY 2005 AND OWNERS OF THESE VEHICLES WILL BE NOTIFIED THEN. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Estimated Vehicles Affected:

Notes:
    FORD MOTOR COMPANY 04S17

ahhh yes the old spring shield recall. I can't remember how many of those recalls I performed when I worked back at a dealer. I had it memorized and could practically do it blindfolded. :):

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    ive owned honda nissan toyota chrysler ford Ive owned a few cars and my favorite is my mustang.........its beat day in day out......my honda fell apart my nissans trans ate it and i blew fist size holes in my chryslers trans also........BTW buying american now is a dead slogan.....lots of plants have moved to mexico or overseas.......thank you nafta.

Top Bottom