• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I was standing right out in front of my apartment on the West side of Bloomington just before 11pm tonight, and three guys came walking down the sidewalk, talking loudly, one of them OC'ing a .38 in a cheap holster. The impression that they gave was very much one of looking for trouble. My friend, who is also licensed to carry, was standing with me and said the same thing after the fact. We politely said "hello" and Mr. .38 loudly replied "Yeah. Nice evening ain't it!" while strutting down the sidewalk. After they passed us, we stood quietly and watched them until they were out of sight.

My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing? I realize that many folks think that OC is a great idea. I don't. I realize that I'll get flak for saying that, but I do think that everyone has to agree that some OC crosses the line into being intimidating and inappropriate.

Because of the neighborhood, the time of night, and the general attitude and appearance of the men, I was concerned. I would have been much less bothered by it had my wife and infant daughter not been at home, but as it happened, they were only 15 or so feet away, on the other side of a ground floor window with the shades drawn.

What do you think?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Call the cops because you don't like OC?

Call the cops on people not violating the law?

Do it me, and if I find out you are who did it, I'll sue your sorry, anti-gun butt into the ground, even if just to make you spend time and money defending the lawsuit.

IMHO, people like you are far more of a threat to our society than criminals. And much, much more of a threat than a couple guys walking down the street wishing you a good evening.

Anti-gunners and Fudds are enemies of our Constitution, and our freedom. I'd rather deal with Brady Bunch buffoons. At least they don't slink around and try to stick the knife in your back.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    having a gun doesn't make somebody a threat to your wife and kids. What I would do: mind my own business, if you're getting warning signs then be ready to react.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    Mr Williams,
    You seem to have some trouble reading. I didn't call the cops. Also, I'm not anti-gun, I carry all the time.

I simply haven't come across that many people open carrying in my neighborhood, and these men certainly weren't "pleasantly" wishing us a good evening.

So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Mr Williams,
    You seem to have some trouble reading. I didn't call the cops. Also, I'm not anti-gun, I carry all the time.

I simply haven't come across that many people open carrying in my neighborhood, and these men certainly weren't "pleasantly" wishing us a good evening.

So let me ask the question again. What kind of behavior from someone OC'ing would lead you to call the cops? This question isn't about the particulars of my encounter this evening, it's a general question about the RESPONSIBILITY of OC'ers to behave in a way that is appropriate and non-threatening. What kind of behaviors would you consider to be over the line?

I would call the cops on someone OCing if they did something illegal, or threatened me or anyone else, of course I would do that if they weren't OCing

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Mr Williams,

Naw... you didn't call the cops. Just wandered in here and wondered if you should do so because you witnessed some citizens.... walking. Plenty of anti-gunners out there carrying guns, they just happen to think they are better than everyone else.

What would prompt me to call the cops? Witnessing a crime. Walking down the street offending your delicate sensibilities doesn't qualify as a crime.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Naw... you didn't call the cops. Just wandered in here and wondered if you should do so because you witnessed some citizens.... walking. Plenty of anti-gunners out there carrying guns, they just happen to think they are better than everyone else.

What would prompt me to call the cops? Witnessing a crime. Walking down the street offending your delicate sensibilities doesn't qualify as a crime.

now that's a good qoute

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Mr Williams,

Sounds like he did. I can't find anything mean about saying what a nice evening it is.

Then why bring it up? You sound like you were one nervous twitch away from making a panicked MWAG call.

Personally I find it in bad taste when someone wears sandals and jeans. Irregardless of open carry. However I wouldn't dream about calling 9-1-1 over such a fashion fauspax. Neither would I care about a .38 in a cheap holster, I might chuckle, but hey, poor people have a right to defend themselves too! ;)

I can't think of any OC I'd call the cops about. A holstered gun is not a threat to anyone.

Now I would call the cops if I saw someone in jeans, oc'ing and swinging a puppy by it's tail while wearing flipflops.

It's my first time using purple... do I get a prize or something? :laugh:

Crap another thread where Joe and I agree... must be the new menards brand of bottled water I picked up.... :):

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    So was it the cheap holster, tone of response, method of strutting, or continuing to walk on out of sight that hit you so wrong?

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Personally I find it in bad taste when someone wears sandals and jeans.
    *If you want i'll call you next time i go shopping in a tight Fox T-shirt, wearing holy jeans and flip flops and a flat billed hat**. You can Call the cops :D

*I actually do dress like this sometimes but I don't OC :)

**The flat billed hat doesn't have stickers and I actually support the team.......oh and its actually team colors

:laugh:

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I agree with Joe and Sj. If they commited no crime then there is no reason at all to call the police. I understand and advocate situational awareness not to mention reading body language but being impolite is not a crime. Not yet anyway.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    RCR makes a good point about situational awareness, whenever I see an OCer, I make sure I know where they are, I don't care if it's the local thug or a guy in a suit

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    My question is this-- under what circumstances would you call the cops on someone who was OC'ing?

What do you think?

Sometimes it's best to just ask a question and drop the situation/scenario when talking to some on INGO. They are obviously just as quick to judge you as you where to judge the person walking buy your residence.

Personally I would call the police at the same moment if the person had a gun or not. That point for me is when they are committing a crime, or begin to commit a crime. Walking on the sidewalk and looking thug, broke, dumb, etc... is not a crime, but leaving that sidewalk to enter a yard that I know they don't own or rent is possibly the beginning of a crime. I would give them a minute and judge the situation from there. The entire time I would be planning my exit strategy, which would include a call the the authorities if I felt a crime was taking place................ All of this includes to many variables to give an exact answer though. I have lived in Btown and have to say trespassing without burglary in the city is common and I wouldn't blink an eye. If I saw trespassing in the country a phone call would be placed immediately...... AGAIN, just to many variables.

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    What if he didn't have a gun on him? Would his response be enough for you to ask this question?

If I see someone OC I don't flinch unless they appear to be insane or might pull it out for no reason. They passed the same ISP background check and fingerprint check you did, and the police have way better things to do than harassing OC's.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Fellow INGOers I suspect the OP is a troll. Probably a buddy of the kid in the Guardian Angel thread. Even if he isn't this story is too ridiculous.

How did he know it was a .38? Exactly what kind of holster was it that was so cheap?

How could a free man confidently walking about be grounds to call the police?

Regardless I recommend heading to the ignore feature and adding this one.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    obvious_troll.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members