• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    By the time the cop's gun is in your face it's probably best to shut your pie-hole and follow directions. If you're right it will come out soon enough. If you're dead it won't matter.

I am moving my voice recorder to my cell phone main screen after this. Anyone know if it's legal to record police encounters in IN?

hoosierken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, makes me think some more about having a recorder handy all the time. I'm not at all familiar with PA gun laws or Philadelphia, never been there. Isn't it Philly that had the bad police reputation there in the 80s. Of course if I had an officer shouting at me while I was staring down his barrel I think I would comply so I could see my grandkids later. I have a thing about a gun being aimed at me by Anybody. I get onto my grandson for pointing his nerf gun at someone's head by accident. Never too early to learn trigger control is it?
    Back to the topic...I think that without the recording the citizen wouldn't have much to say but what stops an officer from simply taking the phone or destroying it if he knows he was in the wrong?
    I'm interested in seeing what everyone else thinks here.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I can't see the video where I'm at, but in Philadelphia, open or concealed carry is permitted with a valid PA license to carry firearms or reciprocal state license or permit.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Honor, Integrity and Service...not with language exhibited by those officers. There is no need to curse vehemently at a citizen who has been nothing but calm.

Ok, second audio clip at about the 6:00 mark, it sounds like the cops are struggling getting the weapon out of the holster. One says, "Do you have to twist it to get the firearm out?" Another says, "I think it's one of those Turbo Blackhawk ones."

Now I assume he means "Serpa Blackhawk", but this is just another reason why disarming citizens who have done nothing wrong and who are licensed to carry is a bad idea, IMO. It's clear these officers have no idea how to even remove the firearm from the holster.

For the record, two of my closest friends are officers...so this isn't a LEO bash post.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Over on the cop block website someone posted in the comments that this guy purposely tries to incite these incidents. The fact is, he is in a more liberal, anti-gun city and he knows exactly what will likely happen. My personal opinions on OC aside, if this is how the OC folks want to get their message across, it won't work. For starters, the same commenter posted documented evidence that this guy has been out in public drunk a couple of times, and has some sort of theft related arrest.

I still think that OCing in major metro areas will eventually backfire. Folks don't want a "wild wild west" image in their neighborhood. The more incidents like this we see/hear about, the more OC will move to the forefront in the gun debate. I don't see a majority of the population supporting OC, so it wouldn't surprise me if the laws are changed to concealed carry only.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Over on the cop block website someone posted in the comments that this guy purposely tries to incite these incidents. The fact is, he is in a more liberal, anti-gun city and he knows exactly what will likely happen. My personal opinions on OC aside, if this is how the OC folks want to get their message across, it won't work. For starters, the same commenter posted documented evidence that this guy has been out in public drunk a couple of times, and has some sort of theft related arrest.

IMO, he was nothing but polite and professional during this encounter. He said sir a hundred times and was calm throughout.

Now, contrast his demeanor with the first officer and more importantly the subsequent responding officers. If I had a dollar for every F-bomb dropped by the cops, I would retire. Such tongue lashing is uncalled for in this instance.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Back to the topic...I think that without the recording the citizen wouldn't have much to say but what stops an officer from simply taking the phone or destroying it if he knows he was in the wrong?
    I'm interested in seeing what everyone else thinks here.

I've thought about that many times. A couple thoughts in no particular order:

1. Never make it obvious you're recording (where that's legal, obviously; IANAL). I'm probably going to try to slip my phone in my pocket so you can't tell I'm recording. Luckily, on my phone, the screen can be off while recording. Even so, if you're being arrested, chances are you'll be separated from your phone pretty quickly.
    2. It almost seems like it might be worth investing in something like this: Pen Video Reocrder | Miniature Video Camera
    3. There is a site called qik.com that allows you to stream video directly to their servers from your smartphone, in nearly real time. This would prevent anyone from destroying it. There is a lag time, but in my tests from 3G, it does a pretty respectable job of uploading mediocre quality video pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    IMO, he was nothing but polite and professional during this encounter. He said sir a hundred times and was calm throughout.

Now, contrast his demeanor with the first officer and more importantly the subsequent responding officers. If I had a dollar for every F-bomb dropped by the cops, I would retire. Such tongue lashing is uncalled for in this instance.

It wouldn't surprise me if a good % of the general public likely thinks he deserved that "tongue lashing." His crime to this % of people: "He just wants to walk around like a cowboy with his gun showing!" I can see cursing him once, maybe to try and get a command/point across, but after that, I would just chalk the person up as one who is refusing commands. If they aren't cursing at me, I likely wouldn't feel the need to curse any further.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. Something tells me the permit/licensing division might get notified of this guy, and he does have a criminal history, though minor from what has been posted on-line. Hope he doesn't lose his permit/license to carry, but I can see an investigation forthcoming.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Folks don't want a "wild wild west" image in their neighborhood.

And folks did not want people of certain races or creeds in their neighborhoods. What does it matter what people want? Does bigotry trump civil rights?

I don't see a majority of the population supporting OC,

Is there some study that I am unfamiliar with?

Upon statehood a majority of Indiana made carrying concealed illegal. In many states open carry is legal but carrying concealed requires a license.

In fact in Indiana some cities were so uncomfortable with concealed carry (the mark of a ruffian) that those cities banned carrying concealed, e.g. Speedway.

Some ranges used to ban only concealed carry, but open carry was permissible. Please cite for me the cities and ranges where open carry is banned but concealed carry is not.

so it wouldn't surprise me if the laws are changed to concealed carry only.

Can I have the name of one state, just one state, which has gone from open or concealed carry to concealed only?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It wouldn't surprise me if a good % of the general public likely thinks he deserved that "tongue lashing." His crime to this % of people: "He just wants to walk around like a cowboy with his gun showing!"

That sounds like every CC/OC debate right here on INGO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Cowboy" was my appellation in Broad Ripple.

At least the Indy cop in Broad Ripple pointed my own gun at me out of complete ignorance ("our officers are highly trained";)) and did not use his own gun. Could have been worse, the auto parts stroller could have had coffee.:D

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    All the more reason to openly carry so people become acclimated to it.

One cannot sleep on his rights.

+1! Since when does a person's comfort level dictate which rights I can engage in? You hardly hear a person advocate apartheid or other forms of civil infringments, but when it comes to my explicitly GUARANTEED right to bear arms suddenly I'm supposed to care if the sight of an openly-carried firearm irritates some ignorant people? :n00b:

When did our Nation enter this sad state of PC?

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    That sounds like every CC/OC debate right here on INGO.

It does, doesn't it? I swear there's an echo here---sooner or later, someone will bring up how the public doesn't like OC and how it reminds everyone of the Wild West---and it's interesting to note that those who engage in the "Wild West" example show their true ignorance of history.

I'm surprised INGO hasn't collapsed under the weight of the "OC is baaaaaaaaaaaad" posts. :n00b:

Top Bottom