Can a felon have a long gun in his home?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    My son-in-law was into drugs as a teen and got caught selling in a school in Cincinnati when he was 16 or 17. He was convicted of a felony in Ohio (where he and my daughter live). He did a 180 degree turn years ago, has an education, is a family counselor, minister, and teachs Spanish at a University. He and I know that he cannot possess a handgun, but he asked me if he is able to have a rifle or shotgun for home defense or for hunting. My daughter has no convictions and is a nurse. Can she legally possess a firearm in the house with someone that is a convicted felon? I worry about them being able to protect my grandchildren without the use of a firearm. He tried to get the felony removed/downgraded, but so far no luck. Anyone know about whether or not he or she is able to possess a long gun or shotgun in the home?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Wait a minute guys, He was a minor when he committed the felony, I think when he becomes 18 years old, his old file is sealed & can only be seen be a judge.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    At the age of 16-17 he was possibly tried as an adult. But back to the original question NO..

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Assuming he was tried as an adult, most certainly not...

With that kind of turnaround, I'd probably tell him to dig a bit deeper and try to get those records expunged...I would say it's worth a shot, but I may be completely off-base.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    So if you had a son that was 18 and convicted felon and you owned guns then he could not live in your house with the guns you legally own?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    a felon can leagally own a muskett no other type of firearm

What about a fusil, or a wheel lock, a Puckle gun, a Kentucky rifle, a flintlock, or a Jager, a Hakenbusche, a matchlock, or even a snaphaunce? Lots of other types.:D

Anyone know about whether or not he or she is able to possess a long gun or shotgun in the home?

First, a few threshold questions:

1. Is he in Ohio or Indiana or some other state?

2. What happened to the case? Was he prosecuted as a juvenile or waived to adult court? Does Ohio have some weird statute like New York's "Youthful Offender" program?

3. Was he convicted? Of what and at what level?

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Clarification: As an adult, convicted, as far as I know he didn't spend much if any time in jail. We don't spend a lot if time talking about those specific details. I didn't know him as that guy. It happened in Ohio and he is a Buckeye.

Last edited:

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    I have a felony record, can I possess a firearm?​
    No, federal law prohibits a convicted felon from owning a firearm.​
    I have a felony record, can I possess a cap and ball musket?​
    Yes, unless your felony conviction is for a crime listed under IC 35-47-4-5.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Too bad. My daughter has some interest in handguns. Not sure she'd ever spend that much on anything that wasn't a pair of shoes or a purse.

Here's a question that I don't know the answer to...Could your daughter apply for an LTCH and leave the handgun in her car?

Would she have to have a car in just her name and/or could the car even be parked on their property?

Top Bottom