What to do if someone pulls a gun on you and wants to take you to a second locat

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    HTML:
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/concealed-carry-self-defense/203830-what-do-if-someone-pulls-gun-you-wants-take-you-second-location.html

The link is above makes for some interesting scenarios and suggestions on how to handle them.

The thread caught my eye since it hit so close to home.

Several years ago my son was driving from VA to Indiana to pay us a family visit. His son lives in Indiana with his mother, my son's ex-wife.

He and a travelling buddy stopped in Charleston, WV for a break and to shoot a little pool at a little Bar and Grill off the Interstate. My son went out to the truck for his cigarettes and was followed by a bar patron who ordered my son into his truck or he'd shoot him.

Son complied and was driven around the Charleston ghettos and seedy parts of town for about an hour. My son said it looked like the perp was looking for someone.

They finally found the perp's partner who jumped into the truck with them. The new perp, who had a .45 semi-auto, started giving the commands and driving directions.

They ended up parking the truck and got into another vehicle. They drove to what my son said looked like an abandoned projects complex where they stopped. It was about 2:00 AM by then. The BG's took my son into one of the buildings and told my son to strip.

They were pretty excited and jumpy the whole time this was going on. My son complied and after he stripped, except for his socks, the two stepped outside to talk to someone on a cellphone.

My son said he knew right away what he had to do. As soon as the two were out of sight he bolted through the door and started running for his life. He said he tried to zigzag at first to throw their aim, but he said that didn't feel very effective so he just ran for cover as fast as he could.

He ran through alleys, changed directions constantly while looking for any sign of an open building. He finally found a hotel where he banged on the door till they finally let him in. The hotel staff called the police and provided some clothes for him to wear.

The cops helped recover my sons truck which was right where the perps left it.

They told my son that he was extremely lucky to be alive as this was probably a gang initiation and would probably have culminated in his death.

In retrospect, my son said he never saw the first perp's gun since the perp kept his hand in his pocket the whole time. He said he was caught so unexpectedly off guard that his mind just kind of blanked out and he just followed the guys directions at first.

This seems to be such an easy thing for a criminal to do, it would be wise, I think, to have a plan of action for this type of crime and to drill the family, including children, on what to do if they are accosted in their vehicle and told to drive.

The link provides some really interesting scenarios, action plans, actual stories and even training scenarios.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you want my stuff, you can have it........it's only stuff after all.

If you want me to get in the car to go somwhere else.........well we can just play your little game where we stand. I will die fighting that and hopefully I can take one or two with me.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Had something similar happen to a church buddy of mine except that his work truck was blocked in and hijacked with him along for the ride. He spent the whole time talking to them about Jesus until they got fed up and shoved him out the door.:laugh:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Never let yourself be tied up and never let the bad guys take you anywhere. Better to take the risk that you'll be shot at a marginally safer location (like outside the bar in OP's post) where help can be had. OP's son is lucky, as the cops pointed out.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    too bad he didnt have a gun to add to the mix and stop it from ever going to the point where he felt he had to go down that road. Man he is lucky to say the least

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow that is crazy!

I think many people (myself included) have this automatic perception that "self defense situations" always take place very quickly. This clearly illustrates that some scenarios can play out over a very long period of time. This can certainly make the good guy's decision making very difficult in knowing at what point he's totally justified in lethal self-defense.

I've often heard experts say "Never get in the car. . . never get in the car". Its against our grain to escalate a situation typically-- but I think this type of situation clearly warrants it. Do whatever it takes to not get in that car.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Always been told to stand and fight or run. If being carjacked then hit a cop car if possible. Always do whats not expected by the perp. I'm not going to post about how I feel about shooting the perp. But, if you do, then there should me no one with a contradicting story.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    If you want my stuff, you can have it........it's only stuff after all.

If you want me to get in the car to go somwhere else.........well we can just play your little game where we stand. I will die fighting that and hopefully I can take one or two with me.

This^^ +1

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    BG with his hands in his pockets says to me 'get in the car'. Step 2 would be the barrel of my Smith/Glock (whatever I'm carrying) in BG face. Step 3 would be up to BG.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    situations like this are all about opportunity (i.e. your son bolted through the door when he had the opportunity)......each person's reaction to different circumstances are going to be different because there are so many variables which include the level and quality of one's training....assuming your son had no knife or training he theoretically took the most appropriate action he could short of taking risks like not complying with the man in the first place because he didn't SEE the gun ....but what it all blows down to is being able to spot good opportunities in dangerous situations and then exploiting them....personally I wouldn't have followed orders without seeing the weapon...and my next actions would have been judged by the mans distance, our location, and the timing if he did happen to present the gun....but it always depends on the persons level of training, confidence, and numerous other variables.....basically the better your trained, the better you will be able to handle more situations with numerously more variables...in short, your son did the best he could given the information provided in your story.....it would be a good idea to take a "real life scenario self defense course" to be better prepared for situations such as these

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    NEVER go to the second location, they planned something for the
    second location and it NEVER bodes well for the victim.
    What the hell do you think they are taking you there for???
    Cake and Ice Cream???
    If they want you at a second location it means they are not ready to
    act on their plans at the first location...... take advantage of the only
    break you will get and fight your way out of it.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    go with them it could be for cake and ice cream. change his plans make him think you will comply then fight or flight what ever works best at the time

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Once you get in the car and you are driving...
    I mean I am the one driving right?
    I would just speed up to as fast as I could safely go and swerve around and attract attention to my car.
    What's he gong to do? If he shoots me, we will wreck.
    He doesn't want that.
    MY destination at that point is the police station.
    In an extreme circumstance, I would skid sideways and slam the passenger door into a phone pole.
    Or something concrete.
    I would definitely NOT drive around doing everything he tells me to do.

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    From a female's view point - AIN'T NO WAY ON GOD'S GREEN YOUR GOING TO GET ME IN THAT CAR, at least not willingly. Go ahead and shoot, whatever the BG has planned is worse. Get close enough to try and grab me/push me in, I've got teeth, knees, elbows, feet, hands, etc. and a whole bunch of fight.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Once you get in the car and you are driving...
    I mean I am the one driving right?
    I would just speed up to as fast as I could safely go and swerve around and attract attention to my car.
    What's he gong to do? If he shoots me, we will wreck.
    He doesn't want that.
    MY destination at that point is the police station.
    In an extreme circumstance, I would skid sideways and slam the passenger door into a phone pole.
    Or something concrete.
    I would definitely NOT drive around doing everything he tells me to do.
    :+1: Yep,BG would be in for a wild ride.

Top Bottom