• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I know this guy pretty well, he's a real standup guy. He typically carries, but I guys he got complicit given that the fact that he was at his own home. Dsom, you are more correct that you know.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Even if he was carrying, he didn't know they were there until he was already held at gunpoint. Which was quite possibly already too late. A reminder to the rest of us to always keep that mental guard up. Glad he got to walk away from this one, hopefully these guys get caught before they can offload his firearms and personal items.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree there is more to the story than meets the eye but it sounds like he trusted the wrong people somewhere along the line.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very sorry to hear this. What a horrible situation for that man to be in. Very glad that he is ok and really hope they catch the pieces of crap that did this.

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Even if he had been carrying .... things would have likely gone the same way or worse.

Man said as soon as he got out of his vehicle there was a laser painting his head .....

Also, the story did not mention if he was carrying or not.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Even if he had been carrying .... things would have likely gone the same way or worse.

Agreed. In a situation like this, the bad guys have the drop- period. No amount of "awareness" or ninja like unholstering would have changed anything- or simply made it worse. I think the guy did the very best thing he could under the circumstances and I'm glad he got out alright.

Did I hear him say that he pushed a "police button" with his nose? The audio was a little low, so I might have heard wrong.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Couple of things come to mind w/ this story. The first is that while the odds are low the stakes are incredibly high. Hence ABC as stated above. Can only imagine the outcomes had he been traveling w/ a female companion or relative. The second is about training. While I will continue to work on the basics of draw stroke, target acquisition and good trigger control, this story highlights the need for situational FOF training that removes the decision of who lives and who dies from the benevolence of the attackers. Given the speed w/ which he was placed behind the 8 ball it may not have made a difference. Nonetheless it strikes me as shortsighted (pun not intended) to think that progression through static targets prepares one for this kind of real threat.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is why you dont want anyone to know your business. But that is not the only thing that will help keep you from being targeted. Situational awareness is key. Likely the entire neighborhood has been under surveillance by the criminals. A unfamiliar car in the neighborhood with someone setting in it just watching could be a criminal on a reconnaissance mission.

Unfortunately my experience is that the police will not respond to a request to send a car around just to check on such a situation. The best thing to do is very overtly walk out and take a picture of the car, the occupant and the cars license plate. I live in a bad neighborhood and this is the method we use to keep both overt drug deals and observers from out of the neighborhood. The last thing a criminal wants is his picture taken.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Is he a member here? I hate to say it but these guys - according to the report - made off with a good sized collection. These guys waited until the homeowner had pulled inside the garage, then they rolled up under the closing door, targeting him with lasers. Again, according to the report and we all know how inaccurate they can be early on.

My gut would say these guys knew him or of him and had it in their mind exactly what they wanted.

* Someone he sold a gun to at his house.
    * Someone who worked at a gun store he bought a gun at and peaked at the NICS paperwork.
    * Someone on an internet gun forum whom he told his address.
    * Acquaintance of a friend/relative who talked to much.
    * Contractors at his house.
    * UPS/Fedex guy who blabbed about the number of shipments to his house.

Guns are big targets for break-ins. As "Indiana Gun Owners," we are targets. Man, I'm one of the last folks to be referred to as paranoid or donning-a-foil-hat but this just reinforces the maxim to keep your mouth shut.

Try to keep from being a target.

I would feel better if they just kept publishing these rolls of State Licensees.

Top Bottom