What would you do if someone degunned you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you had your hands full, and someone degunned you, took your mag out, and handed you back your ammo and set the gun on a table....

How would you react?

How should the POLICE react?

Are you justified in kicking some butt?

How would the police react to that? Would they say its OK because he went for your gun?

These are the questions swimming thru my head at the moment....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    In my personal opinion, LEO's that I know tell me that they have justification to use force under those circumstances. I don't think it should be any different for anyone else. I can only assume you to be a threat if you reach for my weapon and I will react accordingly. Whether or not that is LEGALLY justified?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    I would like to think that I would drop what I was holding and protect my weapon. I always try to keep my right hand empty, but if I have to carry something, I try to put the least important or expensive thing in my right hand. No ones situational awareness is perfect, but I try.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Now, how about throwing out another wild tangent? What if that person comes up from behind you, without announcing themselves and grabs for your sidearm? You react accordingly, and it's a COP?!?

I bring this up because I've had it happen and so has another friend of mine. Although, I had the advantage of not "needing" to react.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Now, how about throwing out another wild tangent? What if that person comes up from behind you, without announcing themselves and grabs for your sidearm? You react accordingly, and it's a COP?!?

I bring this up because I've had it happen and so has another friend of mine. Although, I had the advantage of not "needing" to react.

Unannounced? I'd HOPE they would get the same treatment as any other bum.

Man, I need a force-on-force class or 10......

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Then they are in serious need of re-education on how best to conduct their duties in a professional manner.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Unannounced? I'd HOPE they would get the same treatment as any other bum.

Man, I need a force-on-force class or 10......

Then they are in serious need of re-education on how best to conduct their duties in a professional manner.
    AGREED. Keep in mind, this was several years ago. BUT, I always wondered what would have happened had I reacted like I normally would. (The only reason I didn't was because a friend walking with me was able to give me an obvious look and slight head shake, indicating to me NOT to just in time.)

Cop could have ended up injured or killed, and I would have likely been shot or at least arrested. And for what? Protecting myself against an uneducated irresponsible LEO?

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

I have seen this happen SEVERAL times, cops doing that to people.

always the same cop tho now that i think about it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm not sure what I would do, but I highly doubt it would ever happen...They have to see it first and I conceal well.

I would like to think that I would drop what I was holding and protect my weapon. I always try to keep my right hand empty, but if I have to carry something, I try to put the least important or expensive thing in my right hand. No ones situational awareness is perfect, but I try.

What if you are holding your newborn twins?:):

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Unfortunately, I've heard of it happening to several people. Had it not happened to me onece I might not believe some officers are that dumb. I've experienced bad LEO situations a couple times and I certainly think the majority of them could use some more training in these matters.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was stunned, did nothing, and just stood there like a monkey.

So I KNOW how I would react.
    Cute_Monkey_Face464.jpg

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm not sure what I would do, but I highly doubt it would ever happen...They have to see it first and I conceal well.

Or worse yet: a beer in one and and a fistful of bacon in the other.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

What made it worse, IMO/IME was the the cop that did it was OBVIOUSLY older and had been a LEO for a while, and he had his "backup" younger guy(s) behind him observing how he "handled" the situation. :xmad:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA

just try to not drop them on their heads. What is going to happen if I just let the BG have the gun? He is going to shoot me, and then i drop the kids. Same thing. Although I am not having more kids, I see your point.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    After thinking about it. If the person was acting in a non threating manner I would be afraid to grab it and cause an ND.

If the person was threating, push the muzzle away from me and draw my knife.

If a cop did it to me there would be some kind of lawsuit come of it.

I say all this but then again you never know til it actually happens.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    After thinking about it. If the person was acting in a non threating manner I would be afraid to grab it and cause an ND.

If the person was threating, push the muzzle away from me and draw my knife.

If a cop did it to me there would be some kind of lawsuit come of it.

I say all this but then again you never know til it actually happens.
    My knife is within reach of both of my hands so that I can maintain positive control of the firearm with one and grab a blade with the other. That is why I have always wondered how my situation would have ended had my buddy NOT been able to warn me before hand. What would happen in court in that case?

"You attacked an officer."

"No, I protected myself against what I deemed to be a threat because your "highly trained" officer didn't announce himself. " :n00b:

Top Bottom