• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • behiggie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    So I would like to know if you guys leave a handgun in the car and if so how you carry it is it in a lock box or in a sleeve under the seat that sort of thing. has any one mounted one of the fobus holsters and if so do you like it?
    thanks

812guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Columbus Indiana
    Got a couple lock boxes with the steel cords on them. Wouldnt really stop someone if they wanted to take them but would slow them down. Looked into a little larger one but havent came up with a great wat to mount it.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    You have to have a permit to even leave a gun in your car in Indiana

You don't need a permit/license to leave a gun in a vehicle. You only need it if you have a loaded handgun in the vehicle.

Long guns if any are in the vehicle they are locked and covered by a blanket or jacket in the trunk. looking to get a cable lock in the future just in case someone does decide to break in my vehicle.

I personally only leave my sidearm in the vehicle when i arrive to work it gets locked in the vehicle i get off work it goes on my hip.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    So I would like to know if you guys leave a handgun in the car and if so how you carry it is it in a lock box or in a sleeve under the seat that sort of thing. has any one mounted one of the fobus holsters and if so do you like it?
    thanks
    When it comes to the storage and/or placement of my guns here is my answer to anybody and everybody.

[ame="http://youtu.be/8105U1WY9ro"]Sgt Schultz's answer[/ame]

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    You have to have a permit to even leave a gun in your car in Indiana

Incorrect: Indiana code does not list this as a prohibition.

Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    **** Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    ****(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    ********(1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    ********(2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    ************(A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    ************(B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    ************(C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    ********(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    ************(A) unloaded;
    ************(B) not readily accessible; and
    ************(C) secured in a case;
    ********(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    ************(A) unloaded;
    ************(B) not readily accessible; and
    ************(C) secured in a case;

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    thanks

I use a Mini-Vault (by Gun Vault). There's a pack of tactical chewing gum in there, too.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    thanks
    I keep mine on me, IWB or OWB it's easy to get to when I buckle the seat belt I just make sure nothing is ontop of the gun and that it's canted (so that the more is more vertical) so that I can access it while seated. When it's pocket carry I leave a little more slack in the lap belt portion so that I can arch my back and have a straight line to draw "up" along my body.

Keep in mind that 99% of the time if you're in the drivers seat and the car works and you need to draw, you're probably also able to press the gas pedal and get away just as easily. It's that 1% that is the reason behind us carrying.

I don't like mounting to the car or removing and leaving floating about the car because that increases the odds of me forgetting it and being disarmed if I hop out of the car, human nature allows us to get lazy or not have perfect recall of exactly what we did, and getting in and out of the car can get like thinking about what you're doing when you tie your shoes. Also should you be involved in an accident you need to have it mounted in a manner that you can still get to it, and not have it go flying about the car even if it's weight (not mass) is 10, 20 or 30 times more as a result of G-force.:twocents:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Center of Mass clamshell keyed lock pistol storage container. Loop cable through seat frame or whatever and you are good to go. I have had a couple gunvault combination locks and all have had the combination locks freeze up on me. Center of Mass key'd pistol safe are the way to go. (IMHO).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Center of Mass clamshell keyed lock pistol storage container. Loop cable through seat frame or whatever and you are good to go. I have had a couple gunvault combination locks and all have had the combination locks freeze up on me. Center of Mass key'd pistol safe are the way to go. (IMHO).

You leave your vault locked during your commute?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom