• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Hello i dont know if this is the right section to ask this question, i use to live in michigan and i bought a hand gun and was licensed, do i have to do anythin to bring my gun here to indiana? Im going to be living in noblesville any info woul help thanks

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm from up there, too.

You don't need a license unless you want to carry here. If you are going to remain a Mich resident, you need to maintain the Michigan license or permit or whatever.

Or- get a utah, florida or other license that IN honors.

Welcome to the INGO-dome.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Welcome to Indiana!

Also - you don't need the State's permission to purchase here, like you do in Michigan. Indiana does not track hand gun sales.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So long as you're going to maintain a MI residence for most of the year, it doesn't matter if you have an IN residence as well. Just be aware that unless you are licensed SOMEWHERE, when travelling in IN, there are regs on how the handgun is carried. Once you're at home (or the store or the range or the gunsmith), those regs end, but in travelling, if pulled over, they can mean the difference between ain't-no-thing and $$$$$ for lawyers.

And yes, you can bring anything in your arsenal short of Class III into Indiana for storage and use at your IN residence without so much as a by-your-leave from government here. I'm just not sure on the legal entanglements for Class III. I know IN state law says they are verbotten even for possession without the proper federal licenses. While living here, you can buy guns, handguns or long guns, from any adjacent state and "import" them freely.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Thanks for all the info, im going to be getting my residence changed from michigan to indiana when my license expires, so who would i go see about having my gun here in noblesville?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Thanks for all the info, im going to be getting my residence changed from michigan to indiana when my license expires, so who would i go see about having my gun here in noblesville?

You don't have to see anyone, unless you want a carry license. Then you go the sherrifs department just South off Connor, about a block West of Allisonville Rd. by the fire station. You can start the process online, but you have to get fingerprinted at the sherrifs (edit, I hear lately that you can pay to have it done elsewhere).

www.noblesville.in.us/department/division.php?fDD=11-63

Last edited:

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008

Burt,

Just to make things clear for you. Indiana does NOT have handgun registration like MI does. You only need a license if you want to carry outside of your house (concealed or open -- IN does not specify how to carry)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Top Bottom