What is the FASCINATION with people open carrying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I have never understood that fascination. Why anyone would WANT to draw attention to themselves in that manner?:dunno: I've read many posts by people who say they were "contacted" by Law Enforcement and don't understand why? I for one DO NOT WANT THAT ATTENTION! I also don't want any potential "Thugs" to know I have it either. :twocents: Anyone? Anyone?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    You'll get PLENTY of responses but I doubt any answers.:popcorn:

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

The state is silent on the issue of how someone legally carries a handgun if that person has a LTCH. Period.

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    What is the fascination of wondering why people open carry?
    Purple were needed.

I've never understood people who do things just "because they can". Just because you can doesn't mean you should. An Idiot stated here on INGO that someone asked him if he was a cop. He got such a charge out of it he said was going to o/c next time wearing a suit so he could look like a detective. Is that it? Do some of these people want to look like cops because they don't have what it takes to do it for real?

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    ok, since your fairly new to INGO, i will be nice and inform you instead of asking you to use the search function.......these types of states tends to spark a large amount of OC/CC debate.....for example.

Pro OC individuals argue that......
    1. There is nothing to move to get to there firearm, therefore a quicker draw time....
    2. It is a possible deterent to a criminal.
    3. to try to get the image of gun owners being law abiding and generally nice citizens.

Pro CC

1. Element of surpirse.
    2. Fear of being disarmed
    3. Doesn't want anyone to know there carrying or does not care much for encounters or questions.

You will find MANY, MANY of these debates on here. and it generally turns into a pissing match between grown men.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Why don't you read or post in the sticky, The Open Carry Argument?

There are numerous reasons why I OC over CC

A quote I read on here ( I believe ) " So I don't have to use it "
    There are numerous people that think you will be the first one shot, but I have never seen that recorded in the news. Yet, we have heard criminals say after being caught that they waited until the OCer(s) left, before robbing the place. Plus, it may never happen period if you are carrying. OCing can deter someone from doing something stupid.
    OCing is about not being a victim, or looking like a victim.
    If you conceal carry, you might not end up the victim, but you still LOOK like one.
    CCing is a reaction to a crime, instead of deterring the crime.

Being hassled by LEOs is not a bad thing actually, sure it is stressful and can be inconvenient, but... You will be able to educate those officers that are wrong. They might just be ignorant of the law. The thread on here yesterday was talking about how the Putnam County deputy and his super thought that OCing was illegal in IN. The OP said no it wasn't and referred the deputy to handgunlaw.us. The deputy ended up asking a trooper, and then apologizing to the OP off-duty.

Other citizens are another reason to OC. I have had someone walk up and tell me he felt good seeing a regular person OCing and acting normal. If people get use to seeing average, law abiding citizens carrying, maybe they will get over their fear of firearms. These stories are all over INGO.

Full size 45 ACP, more comfortable to OC too. I don't want to have to try and carry a full size gun IWB, especially a blocky Glock.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    littlebigman.jpg

It's hard to go snake-eyes if you don't open carry.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I've never understood people who do things just "because they can". Just because you can doesn't mean you should. An Idiot stated here on INGO that someone asked him if he was a cop. He got such a charge out of it he said was going to o/c next time wearing a suit so he could look like a detective. Is that it? Do some of these people want to look like cops because they don't have what it takes to do it for real?

Are you talking about my thread? The plain clothes officer harassing me in McDonalds and lecturing me about wearing a duty holster, and carrying a Glock? Said I looked like a cop? I don't remember saying I wanted to wear a suit and look like a detective though.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy

Easy does it sir...

From what I've gathered from many who OC, they seem to see it the same way folks with a security system see an ADT sign in their front yard. It's a deterrent. I've not seen any stats to show one way of carrying better than the other, so to call someone an idiot because they think differently than you may be crossing the line a bit.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County

If you give up one right, the rest will follow, if you have the right to OC and you feel like it, Then do it. you have the right to eat a hamburger, even if its not a good idea because your a little over weight, if you want the hamburger then eat it...... its that simple, whether its a good idea or not we live in America where people are given rights and don't need an excuse to use them, however they should be prepared for the results and responsibiltys of using such said rights.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Dunno, maybe true 'cop wannabes'?

It appears that these are the same folks that lash out at others when questions arise about CC or LTCH 'badges' or similar topics. They're pretty easy to spot 'cause there's invariably some 'shout' about "I have the RIGHT!"

Which is ironic 'cause neither the U.S. nor Indiana Constitutions say that, and the 'right' doesn't exist. But it usually boils down to that 'justification' because other arguments just don't exist.

SOME claim "it's more comfortable", but that's not necessarily correct. Typically OWB is more comfortable than IWB, and that can be done just as easily CC'ing, as well as OC.

SOME claim "I can get to my gun faster", but that's been repeatedly proven not to necessarily be true, either. What, are they having the 'showdown at high noon in Dodge City'? Talk about the 'cop wannabe' syndrome, LOL. :D

There's some other, even less viable 'justifications' made, and these folks appear to be pretty hardcore about 'proving' their perspective(s) is/are 'right'. But the facts just don't appear to bear out the rhetoric. Doesn't appear to make a difference, as it appears their objective is to be confrontational at every instance, even when no confrontation previously existed. Oh well, every group has it 'nuts' and we have ours! :D

So, it usually comes down to the fact they WANT to OC. Which is fine, and the Constitutions are silent on the matter. But, there is no 'right' provided for it.

Despite the rants and rhetoric and derogatory commentary about 'cop wannabes', if ANY action could be labeled as 'cop wannabe', it would OC'ing in most circumstances. Much more so than someone CC'ing that wears an LTCH badge in case they inadvertently print or flash a pistol. FAR more so.

Personally, I could care less which way someone carries. OC to / from the range, while hunting, at shooting events, etc. all make perfect sense. OC'ing going to the local grocery store or restaurant just has the 'cop wannabe' appearance all over it, and they're perceived exactly as such no matter what rhetoric they try to elaborate to justify it.

As for challenges from LEO's or non-gun civilians, well, the OC'er is the one creating the situation, so I see no reason to empathize if someone is complaining or whining about it, as the case may be.

While I agree with their ability to OC, I also firmly believe they're NOT benefitting the gun community, nor the greater community as a whole.

Of course, USUALLY the response to that accurate observation is "I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks or if anyone else cares 'cause I have the right!" Which really isn't accurate.

THEN they wonder why non-gun people want to take away their guns?

DUH... :n00b: :n00b: :n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom