Will Illinois allow IN residents to apply for an IL Non-Resident Carry License?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not sure, after carefully reading the Illinois law, that residents of Indiana will even be allowed to apply for a non-residence license to carry in Illinois.

Non-Resident Permit

Non-Resident License Applications.
    (a) For the purposes of this Section, "non-resident" means a person who has not resided within this State for
    more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory.
    (b) The Department shall by rule allow for non-resident license applications from any state or territory of the United States with laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying, that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.
    (c) A resident of a state or territory approved by the Department under subsection (b) of this Section may apply for a non-resident license. The applicant shall apply to the Department and must meet all of the qualifications established in Section 25 of this Act, except for the Illinois residency requirement in item (xiv) of paragraph (2) of subsection (a) of Section 4 of the Firearm Owners Identification Card Act. The applicant shall submit: . . .​

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    probably not.

but i wouldn't anyways.
    I live on the state line, travel into Illinois almost every day.

The new ILL law allows me to travel into the state without disarming but it would be even better if I could get a license. Don't actually need it, but I'd get it if I could because there are times when I go into Beecher, Grant Park, etc which are right along the state line opposite of where I live.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I was talking with a coworker who lives in IL about this. He thinks no and I'm thinking the same honestly. I guess it all depends on what they interpret substantially as.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I live on the state line, travel into Illinois almost every day.

The new ILL law allows me to travel into the state without disarming but it would be even better if I could get a license. Don't actually need it, but I'd get it if I could because there are times when I go into Beecher, Grant Park, etc which are right along the state line opposite of where I live.
    Man I will say it was nice not having to unload and case up the 3 pistols and shottie this morning driving through illinois with the misses...I still got through the state in the shortest route possible...if they offer an out of state to us ill end up buying for sure. For no other reason than to know so many people in that crap state would HATE to have a slack jawed Hoosier carrying there haha!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Man I will say it was nice not having to unload and case up the 3 pistols and shottie this morning driving through illinois with the misses...I still got through the state in the shortest route possible...if they offer an out of state to us ill end up buying for sure. For no other reason than to know so many people in that crap state would HATE to have a slack jawed Hoosier carrying there haha!

Dude! You'd better still unload and put the shotgun in the case. This exemptions ONLY refers to concealed handguns. A loaded shotgun would get you in DEEP CRAP with the cops were it to be discovered.

Everyone needs to make sure they read and understand this exemption before crossing the state line with loaded firearms.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Looks to me like this will be sticking point ".......that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under this Act.". The term "substantially similar" leaves it open to interpretation. Remember, Illinois didn't do this because they wanted to.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    So tell me if I am now allowed to carry in IL or not then? Is my IN Lifetime LTCH good there or not?

This thing has me so freaking confused I am going nuts. I sure as heck don't need some idiot trooper or other policeman running my butt in because he doesn't know any better either.
    I am guessing it is concealed carry only there too, right? No Open Carry, right? I am sure to call the trooper, ISP, to confirm this as I go to see my doctors on Thursday in Champaign, IL which hasn't been a gun friendly town in the past but I thought I'd ask here anyway. Likely give the CPD and Urbana PD a call a well just to see what they say. As for getting an IL license, unless I need one to carry there, I see no reason to do so. I don't want anything that says "Illinois" on it in my wallet ever again. Lived there most of my life and was never happier to leave anywhere like I was there.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    excerpts from the bill (I added the titles above each)

definition

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun
    carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed
    from view of the public or on or about a person within a
    vehicle.

informing
    (h) If an officer of a law enforcement agency initiates an
    investigative stop, including but not limited to a traffic
    stop, of a licensee who is carrying a concealed firearm, upon
    the request of the officer the licensee shall disclose to the
    officer that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm
    under this Act, present the license upon the request of the
    officer, and identify the location of the concealed firearm.

transporting by a nonresident without a license from IL

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

When does it take effect?
    Section 999. Effective date. This Act takes effect upon
    becoming law.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I'm not sure, after carefully reading the Illinois law, that residents of Indiana will even be allowed to apply for a non-residence license to carry in Illinois.

I took the same conclusion away from this after reading the bill. They will probably not allow us to apply as Indiana residents.

I am in the same situation as you - I work in Illinois and drive there everyday. However, I will just keep it in the car and not let myself be to concerned about actually carrying it on my person outside the vehicle for now. At least now I can have it loaded and in the center console next to me if I wish.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So tell me if I am now allowed to carry in IL or not then? Is my IN Lifetime LTCH good there or not?

No, you will not be able to carry in Illinois with your IN LTCH. You can have a handgun in your possession in your vehicle while traveling in the state, but once you leave the vehicle the gun must be left behind. Vehicle locked, weapon out of site.

That is my understanding. I don't have the code handy to cite specific language.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    So you can have the gun in the car, locked in compartment. And it doesn't matter if its loaded? So just making sure that I am following.

1) are you a non resident of Illinois? (yes, should be your answer)
    2) Are you prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law? (no, should be your answer)
    3) Are you eligible to carry a firearm in Indiana and do you have a LTCH in Indiana? (yes, should be your answer)
    4) Are you in possession of a carry license from illinois? (no, should be your answer)
    5) If you leave the car unattended will you promise to lock the vehicle or at least lock the container that the gun is in? (yes, should be your answer)

If all your answers match the answers as they should be then read this definition of a concealed firearm

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun
    carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed
    from view of the public or on or about a person within a
    vehicle

If a police officer has contact with you as in a traffic stop and he asks you "Do you have any weapons in the car", how will you react? (you should say, Yes officer I have a handgun in "x" location, I have a license to carry from Indiana and I will show that to you"

And lastly - if a police officer asks you "who the hell mainjet from the internet is", you tell him that he is a non attorney guy that stated his opinion to me based upon his layman's interpretation of the law.

Top Bottom