• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Do you all carry personal defense ammo only, or do you carry FMJ? I stopped by Gander Mtn today thinking they would have some personal defense ammo, but no luck.

Just curious if I should worry about it, or just carry my FMJ range ammo.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Carry what you have...It all works the same, just some not as effective as others. FMJ is all they can use in the military....

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Depends on the caliber you carry. Anything under .380 its fmj. (.32, .25 etc). For .380 and up it's SD ammo. There are a few members that will insist .45acp ball ammo is the best there is so be ready for that.

If all you have is fmj, carry it until you can get some good sd ammo THAT YOU KNOW WORKS IN YOUR GUN. Don't just buy a box and load it up. Buy at least 100 rounds to shoot to make sure they work in your carry gun. I'd rather have fmj's that I know will shoot every time I pull the trigger than hollow points that will jam when your life depends on it.

What gun are you carrying?

Last edited:

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Depends on the caliber you carry. Anything under .380 its fmj. (.32, .25 etc). For .380 and up it's SD ammo. There are a few members that will insist .45acp ball ammo is the best there is so be ready for that.

If all you have is fmj, carry it until you can get some good sd ammo THAT YOU KNOW WORKS IN YOUR GUN. Don't just buy a box and load it up. Buy at least 100 rounds to shoot to make sure they work in your carry gun. I'd rather have fmj's that I know will shoot every time I pull the trigger that hollow points that will jam when your life depends on it.

Agreed!

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    I have 9mm Ruger P95 and Kahr CW9. I would like to carry the Ruger, but it's pretty big, which is why I got the Kahr. I don't carry either yet, but I've been training with both so I can carry either.

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    My guess is that most people use "self defense ammo" aka hollow point ammo.
    Some use FMJ ammo due to feeding problems with their weapons.
    Use what your weapon likes.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Hollow point ammo is likely to do more damage. However in most cases I think FMJ has the same stopping power as hollow point (many will disagree) despite that internal damage. I agree on hollow point being more lethal, but all I'm concerned about ultimately is stopping power. The main advantage to hollow point is that they are less likely to go completely through your target and injure an innocent bystander. Even if they do they will probably have lost enough momentum to not be able to seriously penetrate someone else.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have 9mm Ruger P95 and Kahr CW9. I would like to carry the Ruger, but it's pretty big, which is why I got the Kahr. I don't carry either yet, but I've been training with both so I can carry either.

The Ruger shoud eat anything you feed it. BUT I'd still test your SD ammo with it. The Kahr could be a lot more picky. But never the less, make sure whatever you carry works. Use factory mags on both guns too. Mags have a tendency to make a gun fail more than the ammo.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Hollow point ammo is likely to do more damage. However in most cases I think FMJ has the same stopping power as hollow point (many will disagree) despite that internal damage. I agree on hollow point being more lethal, but all I'm concerned about ultimately is stopping power. The main advantage to hollow point is that they are less likely to go completely through your target and injure an innocent bystander. Even if they do they will probably have lost enough momentum to not be able to seriously penetrate someone else.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this.

I don't worry about overpenetration with hardball in the lower velocity big-bores. One of my six-shooters, the one chambered for .45 Auto Rims, is loaded with simple lead ball because I've never seen it available loaded with anything else. Using hardball in something like a hot 9mm or .357 in any environment where there are innocent folks around would really give me the willies.

I once investigated a homicide, a hit, where the victim was shot while standing in a phone booth. The first round went through him, through the glass and kept on going. The victim fell to the bottom of the booth and the hitter stood over him and gave him the remaining five rounds from a six-shooter (.38 or .357, don't remember now).

When the homicide dicks were ready we pulled the dead guy out. The five slugs had gone through the guy like an icepick and were sitting underneath him on the concrete pad of the phone booth.

NumberCruncher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    Over penetration was my concern. I hope to God that it's never an issue I ever, ever have to deal with, but if I do have to shoot, I'd prefer the round stop in my target. Especially in the event of a home invasion. The way my home is laid out, my daughters' bedroom is directly in the line of site from my bedroom door to the top of the stairs. Or if I were to miss, I'd rather that round stick in the wall instead of end up in the neighbors house.

Again, I hope the only time I fire my weapon is on the range, but I'd like to have at least some peace of mind about where my rounds end up.

bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Carry what you got. Personally I have some Hornady Critical Defense lying around but prefer my FMJ. Ammo whether it be FMJ or JHP is the same when it hits the bad guy in my opinion. They will feel it and they will think twice about getting the rest of the ammo already loaded in my magazine.

I am suprised though I was in Gander Mountain last week and they had JHP ammo in 9mm and .40 what Caliber are you looking for. Then again they had a small selection as to brands, Remington was the one I saw quite a few of.

bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Over penetration was my concern. I hope to God that it's never an issue I ever, ever have to deal with, but if I do have to shoot, I'd prefer the round stop in my target. Especially in the event of a home invasion. The way my home is laid out, my daughters' bedroom is directly in the line of site from my bedroom door to the top of the stairs. Or if I were to miss, I'd rather that round stick in the wall instead of end up in the neighbors house.

Again, I hope the only time I fire my weapon is on the range, but I'd like to have at least some peace of mind about where my rounds end up.

If overpenetration is an issue. I would suggest switching to fragmentation ammo while you are home. Its a little more expensive but doesnt do well with punching through walls. However, when it hits a human target it will fragment and push into its point of impact. Just something to think about because of your layout situation at home.

TWFMB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    I always carry +P hollow points. Except when I'm carrying a .357, don't need the +P with them, still like hollow points though. I'd carry FMJ if it's all I had. Better than throwing rocks by far.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Read Houghmade's linked article above. It is nothing new but is concise and well done. There is absolutely no reason to carry FMJ unless you live in some third world country and the is all you can get, or you are in the military and are forced to. This is a no brainer.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Unless it's the end of the world and ammo is running low, I would never use FMJs for defense ammo because of over penetration. I carry Critical Duty and

Top Bottom