Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    No-Apologies CONSERVATIVE tbhausen's Avatar

Question Question for LEO's, Dispatchers, 911 Operators - MWAG Calls?

Many times here I've seen stories told that go something like this:

I was open-carrying at (insert legal-to-OC place). When I left there was a (insert law enforcement agency) vehicle outside". Not sure if someone made a MWAG call on me..."

Question is, if a person is going about his or her business normally while OC'ing in a place where it's legal to do so, what's the normal response to MWAG calls? Surely, 911 operators (or whomever takes such calls) know the laws well enough to ask relevant questions such as "Where exactly is the person?" or "Is he (or she) acting strangely or threatening anyone?" Do they, however, actually inform callers "People are allowed to do that--just call us if he (or she) actually causes any trouble."

On my scanner feed (limited only to routine dispatch transmissions--no tactical, investigations, narcotics, etc.) the only time I hear about guns is when police are dispatched after laws seem to have been broken. So it's pretty logical to conclude these MWAG calls seldom result in police swooping in to check out "average Joe OC'er". I'm just curious to know how concerned citizens (many, no doubt, who mean well but are ignorant of the law and have had their prejudices and perceptions shaped by the media) are handled when making these reports.
    Last edited by tbhausen; 08-25-2013 at 02:38. Reason: mobile phone Swypos

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    when I have been dispatched on such runs I ask the dispatcher to ask the caller if the person is doing anything other than simply carrying a gun and if it is holstered.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by VUPDblue View Post
    when I have been dispatched on such runs I ask the dispatcher to ask the caller if the person is doing anything other than simply carrying a gun and if it is holstered.
    You still show up and curb stomp either way though, right?

Just because it's holstered doesn't mean it's going to stay holstered.

You forget, every cop carries 4 things now. A gun, a badge, a radio and a cell phone. I work with an EMS service (so we're open 24/7) and I work nights...the cop(s) who work nights occasionally stop by an B.S. with us, and we see them on a lot of our runs as well. I see them get text messages and phone calls very frequently, followed by 'Gotta run, I have to actually do some work tonight. *sigh*' That also doesn't account for the radio traffic they receive of 'randomunit, TX dispatch'. Just because you don't hear it on your scanner, doesn't mean they aren't getting the calls for it.

Take this how you will, I'm not a cop, but I spend quite a lot of time around them, and get to hear a LOT of their radio traffic. Just what I've witnessed.

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    the curb stomps were implied....
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    Surely, 911 operators (or whomever takes such calls) know the laws well enough to ask relevant questions
    ...and you would be wrong. There are very little in the way of training requirements for a dispatcher, and none of them involve any knowledge of the law. While I'm sure it varies from county to county, the only training your average dispatcher gets is on the computer dispatch system, IDACS/NCIC if they are going to have access to that system, and EMD (which is where they train you to walk people through first aid steps over the phone).

Dispatchers have no more knowledge of the law than the general population. Some know more than others, but like VUPD said often its up to the cop to ask the dispatcher to ask relevant questions. Even then the dispatcher often has already hung up with the complainant.
    New signature wanted, apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...and you would be wrong. There are very little in the way of training requirements for a dispatcher, and none of them involve any knowledge of the law. While I'm sure it varies from county to county, the only training your average dispatcher gets is on the computer dispatch system, IDACS/NCIC if they are going to have access to that system, and EMD (which is where they train you to walk people through first aid steps over the phone).

Dispatchers have no more knowledge of the law than the general population. Some know more than others, but like VUPD said often its up to the cop to ask the dispatcher to ask relevant questions. Even then the dispatcher often has already hung up with the complainant.
    +1 A major issue with our city dispatch is that they tend to hang up much too quickly, so you lose that direct connection. MWAG happen occasionally in my area, but it's mostly rifles or something of the sort. And no, dispatchers do not really receive any training in law.

I don't know about other districts but in Southeast on lates it usually goes like this:

"Charles 321...Charles 323...Charles three two one....Charles three two three...person with a gun....1100 south...3800 east...caller states a white male in a tank top and khaki shorts is walking northbound on Sherman with a gun. No further information..."

[At which point both units buy the call and hope it's one of the finer members here on INGO.]

...."both units at midnight forty-seven"
    I AM NOTHING BUT A SCREEN NAME!

DO NOT TAKE WHAT I SAY PERSONALLY!

Master
    "Surely, 911 operators (or whomever takes such calls) know the laws well enough to ask relevant questions"........NOT!

The concept of "screening calls" left IPD (pre IMPD) many years ago when they began to hire non-sworn personnel as dispatchers. I distinctly remember the Chief of Police issuing a directive that "if the caller demands the police, you send the police". Dispatchers were trained to operate the equipment and little else.
    When a woman says "correct me if I'm wrong"...DON"T DO IT! It's a trap.

No-Apologies CONSERVATIVE tbhausen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRob View Post
    "Surely, 911 operators (or whomever takes such calls) know the laws well enough to ask relevant questions"........NOT!

The concept of "screening calls" left IPD (pre IMPD) many years ago when they began to hire non-sworn personnel as dispatchers. I distinctly remember the Chief of Police issuing a directive that "if the caller demands the police, you send the police". Dispatchers were trained to operate the equipment and little else.
    Let's hope officers "train" dispatchers by letting them know what wastes their time Resources aren't unlimited, you know... Plus, "average Joe OC'er" would probably rather just go about his business without wasting said officer's time, as well.

How the hell do we educate the public? The media damn sure won't help very often.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast