• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolffman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    I am thinking about getting a carry permit. But, I am not real excited about doing that.
    1. I don't want my fingerprints in some national database (I have never been fingerprinted).
    2. I don't really want to advertise that I may have, or may eventually have a handgun. (Liberal newspapers printing lists of permit owners, public lists, etc).
    Anyone have any strong reasons why I should get one?
    If I had a handgun, I'm not really inclined to take it anywhere besides the range. It would be mostly for home defense and target shooting.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    384   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Never been 'Printed'??

I would guess?? that you must be young then??

Most average age citizens of the USA have been fingerprinted for one reason or another..Job, security clearance, background check etc.

Being printed for a LTCH in the State of Indiana is not on my list of worries??..Bill.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Not really sure why people freak out about finger prints. They are pretty easy to get if someone wants them bad enough. The are to clear you more than anything else.

For number two i dont recall the exact circumstances but i dont think anyone has printed a list of everyone in a certain area with a licence to carry a hand gun. Especially considering there are over 527,659 people with LTCH's in indiana alone.

Its a personal decision. why not get it and not exercise your right. but if your never gonna carry than there is no reason to have it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I would guess?? that you must be young then??

Most average age citizens of the USA have been fingerprinted for one reason or another..Job, security clearance, background check etc.

Being printed for a LTCH in the State of Indiana is not on my list of worries??..Bill.

FWIW - I'm in my mid 40's and the only time I've been fingerprinted is during the LTCH application process.

To the OP - Do what you think is right and let your conscience be your guide. All of your decisions in life will have consequences.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I am thinking about getting a carry permit. But, I am not real excited about doing that.
    1. I don't want my fingerprints in some national database (I have never been fingerprinted).
    2. I don't really want to advertise that I may have, or may eventually have a handgun. (Liberal newspapers printing lists of permit owners, public lists, etc).
    If I had a handgun, I'm not really inclined to take it anywhere besides the range. It would be mostly for home defense and target shooting.

its not about us. If you want the ability to protect yourself, this is how you do it. If you choose not to, then you depend on those who are willing to do it for you. I hope we get there in time!

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The liberal rag in Bloomington published the names of LTCH holders a few years ago. This prompted the legislature to change the law to prevent this from happening again.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013

1. I wouldn't be worried about fingerprints, as previously mentioned you will likely have to get them sometime for a clearance, job, etc.
    2. In regard to the release of information to the press see:
    Indiana Code 35-47-2

(l) Except as provided in subsection (m), for purposes of IC 5-14-3-4(a)(1), the following information is confidential, may not be published, and is not open to public inspection:
    (1) Information submitted by a person under this section to:
    (A) obtain; or
    (B) renew;
    a license to carry a handgun.
    (2) Information obtained by a federal, state, or local government entity in the course of an investigation concerning a person who applies to:
    (A) obtain; or
    (B) renew;
    a license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter.
    (3) The name, address, and any other information that may be used to identify a person who holds a license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter.
    (m) Notwithstanding subsection (l):
    (1) any information concerning an applicant for or a person who holds a license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter may be released to a federal, state, or local government entity:
    (A) for law enforcement purposes; or
    (B) to determine the validity of a license to carry a handgun; and
    (2) general information concerning the issuance of licenses to carry handguns in Indiana may be released to a person conducting journalistic or academic research, but only if all personal information that could disclose the identity of any person who holds a license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter has been removed from the general information.
    (n) A person who knowingly or intentionally violates this section commits a Class B misdemeanor.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.26-1990, SEC.15; P.L.48-1993, SEC.5; P.L.140-1994, SEC.6; P.L.269-1995, SEC.6; P.L.2-1996, SEC.284; P.L.27-2001, SEC.1; P.L.120-2001, SEC.1; P.L.49-2005, SEC.2; P.L.187-2005, SEC.3; P.L.190-2006, SEC.2; P.L.155-2007, SEC.1; P.L.47-2010, SEC.1; P.L.34-2010, SEC.4; P.L.158-2013, SEC.574.

Laws are a little better now for someone without a LTCH going to or from a range. If you had one though it would cover you if you forgot you had it with you, or when you stopped somewhere on your way to or from the range.

I hope this helps.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    There was also that paper in NY (NJ?) that printed a list of permit holders. However, Compatriot G and BuckCreek point out that that won't be an issue in IN anymore.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    You were printed at birth more than likely. As long as you don't plan on going out and commit a crime what's the big deal? As to a reason to get your license, how about self protection? You really need to take the tin-foil hat off my friend.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    If you're on here they
    don't need your prints. :p
    They already know whatever they need/want to.
    And if you are in Indiana you don't get a permit,you get
    a license to carry handgun. Get the lifetime by the way as mentioned.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Get now while you can. You never know if the opportunity will ended and you will not be allowed to get one. Things change. Get the lifetime license, and you are good to go whatever you decide to do in the future.

As the power of law continues to wane in our society, and violence continues to increase, things will only get worse. Having the LTCH will give the option of doing something to protect yourself in the future.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am mid 50's and never was fingerprinted other than my LTCH. Not at birth either.
    Having said that, I wouldn't worry about it since the NSA tracks your internet posts, emails, phone calls, credit card purchases, etc. does anyone really think they don't put every 4473 that is called in, into their database. How about your hunting license?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The printing is just some useless tactic that the gun grabbers think works against crime. Just think about that and it's a lot less scarier to get the prints done

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    its not about us. If you want the ability to protect yourself, this is how you do it. If you choose not to, then you depend on those who are willing to do it for you. I hope we get there in time!

If you give this post a little thought,you may see how screwed up our nation is...We pay a FEE,and ask permission to carry the tools we may need to defend ourselves and our loved ones...

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Get now while you can. You never know if the opportunity will ended and you will not be allowed to get one. Things change. Get the lifetime license, and you are good to go whatever you decide to do in the future.

As the power of law continues to wane in our society, and violence continues to increase, things will only get worse. Having the LTCH will give the option of doing something to protect yourself in the future.

There you go. Best answer yet. As things tighten up against legal people and loosen for felons, you'll be glad you have it even if you don't need it. Much better than one day needing it and not having it.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I wish that I could have more hope that many of you on this forum would refuse to tolerate the idea that an oppressive government would ever be able to remove your right of self-defense!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wish that I could have more hope that many of you on this forum would refuse to tolerate the idea that an oppressive government would ever be able to remove your right of self-defense!

I can not post exactly how I feel about the Gov. as it exists today. Big brother is most definitely watching this forum.

Top Bottom