Handgun Stopping Power: Science vs. “40 years of Experience” -.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    As always you need to sift through the chaff. Ayoob among others worth reading, does write gun mag articles. Like Ellifritz said, the problem is "how's a noob to know?"

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As always you need to sift through the chaff. Ayoob among others worth reading, does write gun mag articles. Like Ellifritz said, the problem is "how's a noob to know?"

Agreed, and actually the article that Ellifitz references is pretty good for the most part until he gets into the silly stuff.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    The last part I really agree with is the ability to be able to shoot what you have WELL. It doesn't do any good to carry a .45 if you can't hit your intended target. I don't remember where I heard it but has alwasys stuck with me. I would rather be missed by a .44 than hit with a .22.

Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm not an expert on the content, but I can tell you that anyone who uses as many exclamation points as Higgenbotham isn't a very good writer.

JimboCX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Some of the writers I have met, are not experts but enthusiasts at best. They tend to find experts in the field to quote and to get the research. Obviously this guy didn't. I know that my friend who writes for some cycling publications is an enthusiast at best and far from an expert. Many of these guys are just trying to make a living as a free lance writer, any subject will do.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Some of the writers I have met, are not experts but enthusiasts at best. They tend to find experts in the field to quote and to get the research. Obviously this guy didn't. I know that my friend who writes for some cycling publications is an enthusiast at best and far from an expert. Many of these guys are just trying to make a living as a free lance writer, any subject will do.

Well said Jimbo

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    You may carry a hand cannon capable of dropping a Kodiak bear and still miss. Great stopping power but does it matter? The gun industry has many bright authors who can produce all statistic to validate their claims but the proof is in the field results.

Many say the .380 is too small and lacks stopping power. That doesn't match the fact that a Brazilian LEO carry a Glock G25 (380) has killed 39 criminals using hard ball 380 ammo. Being able to have the proper trigger, sight, and gun control skills developed by practice is necessary. The caliber of the firearm is important but if you can't hit the target switch to a shotgun or hand grenade would be recommended.

It is very different returning fire against an armed person versus that of shooting into ballistic gel. The gun magazines don't tell you this as few of the writers have "walked the talk"

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    The last part I really agree with is the ability to be able to shoot what you have WELL. It doesn't do any good to carry a .45 if you can't hit your intended target. I don't remember where I heard it but has alwasys stuck with me. I would rather be missed by a .44 than hit with a .22.

That's a great quote. Thanks for sharing.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I never understand this notion that a .22 is more accurate than a larger caliber weapon. Every time this discussion comes up, variations on this quote pop up like whack-a-moles at a kiddie arcade. Why is it that people seem to believe they can shoot the eye out of a mosquito at 50 yards with a .22, but would miss with a .45acp? If it was really accuracy OR size, yes, that would be an easy choice... but I don't understand the notion that it's OR. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people shoot .45acp with a fair amount of accuracy, even at speed and with enthusiasm.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of either and I agree, I think a fella with a well practiced 100yrd 45acp shot is just as accurate as a fella with the same in .22.....The difference CAN be that many of us grew up shooting .22 and just plan shoot them well. I can't shot my 9mm near as well as my .22 but that accuracy will come in time.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I never understand this notion that a .22 is more accurate than a larger caliber weapon. Every time this discussion comes up, variations on this quote pop up like whack-a-moles at a kiddie arcade. Why is it that people seem to believe they can shoot the eye out of a mosquito at 50 yards with a .22, but would miss with a .45acp? If it was really accuracy OR size, yes, that would be an easy choice... but I don't understand the notion that it's OR. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've seen people shoot .45acp with a fair amount of accuracy, even at speed and with enthusiasm.

In my experience, there is no comparison between the accuracy of a Ruger Mark II, and something like a Glock or a 1911. I believe it has to do with pistol design. A Ruger target pistol has a rigidly fixed barrel. This would be a good thread for someone to start....

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    In my experience, there is no comparison between the accuracy of a Ruger Mark II, and something like a Glock or a 1911. I believe it has to do with pistol design. A Ruger target pistol has a rigidly fixed barrel. This would be a good thread for someone to start....

Rather than get too deep into the argument over miniscule differences in accuracy (which, as you said, would be an interesting thread...), I'll just say that our ideas about what a self-defense gunfight(/situation) looks like are very different. In MY version of a situation in which I'd feel justified to use deadly force, I would literally, seriously, no-****, rather have a rock or a stick or a flashlight than a .22 pistol, unless that .22 pistol was of sufficient heft to be used as a bludgeoning tool.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I doubt if our ideas of self defense firearms are much different...bigger is usually better. Having said that, a rock, stick or flashlight loses...if there is any amount of distance between yourself and an opponent with a .22 handgun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

I shoot almost every day and at 50' I can reliably maintain a 3" circle with my Glock 20, 29, 36, XDs-.45, AND my Browning Buckmark .22lr target pistol in slow aimed shooting. I can do this reliably enough that I generally leave the target hanging for a few days and out of a hundred or so total rounds through that given target there might be 3-4 shots just outside of the 3" diameter hole I make. I am confident of this enough that I am having Bobcat make me a 12" steel target with a 3" hole in the middle to save on paper and time spent hanging targets.

In timed shooting I can shoot the Buckmark a little faster, but that's about it. My groups open up a little with the bigger guns when I am shooting fast, but not much.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I doubt if our ideas of self defense firearms are much different...bigger is usually better. Having said that, a rock, stick or flashlight loses...if there is any amount of distance between yourself and an opponent with a .22 handgun.

I dont want to be shot with a .22 at close range! or any range for that matter...

Top Bottom