• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Three teens face murder charges in rural slaying

Three teens face murder charges in rural slaying - HeraldTimesOnline: Local News (subscription)

Three teenagers were in police custody Saturday, charged with killing 43-year-old Rodney R. Allender at his northeastern Lawrence County home.

Allender was a businessman, operating Allender & Son Excavating & Logging. He lived alone at a home in the 1700 block of Dutch Ridge Road. It is on a ridge top in a remote area in northeastern Lawrence County, not far from Lake Monroe and the Deam Wilderness Area.

The sheriff said the teens did not know Allender personally, but they had apparently targeted him for the crime. The motive, he said, was robbery, "which consisted of taking money and firearms."

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Did they tell their names?
    The Bedford Times Mail is keeping pretty quiet about their identities.
    Or any details for that matter, ongoing investigation I think.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Did they tell their names?
    The Bedford Times Mail is keeping pretty quiet about their identities.
    Or any details for that matter, ongoing investigation I think.

Probably won't with juveniles, at least not any time soon.

OK, considering the next post, I stand corrected!

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Taylor M. Flynn and Dillon M. Hicks have been arrested in Ohio, but not before they led police on a pursuit.19-year-old Flynn and 16-year-old Hicks, both of Bedford, were arrested by officers in Ironton, Ohio. They are suspected in the murder of 43-year-old Rodney Allender.
    The teens were tracked through one of their cell phones and officers started searching for them.

Craig says Hicks and Flynn will be transported back to Lawrence County to face a charge of murder. Hicks is also facing runaway charges.
    "They are facing charges in Ohio; it will be up to their prosecutor to determine if they will move forward with those charges," Craig says. "We will begin extradition proceedings on Monday."

Flynn was taken to the Ohio jail and Hicks is being held in a juvenile detention facility.
    Also charged with murder is 18-year-old Austin M. Curtis. He is also facing a charge of robbery. He is being held in the Lawrence County Jail without bond.
    Craig says Hicks and Flynn could also be facing additional charges.
    "We want to let everyone know that all three are now behind bars and the community is safe," says Sheriff Sam Craig. "I know there was a lot of citizens concerned with their safety."

43-year-old Rodney Allender's body was discovered by his son and girlfriend Thursday night about 9:40 p.m. at his home in the 1700 block of Dutch Ridge Road. The home is in a remote area in northeastern Lawrence County.

Accordring to an autopsy performed Friday Allender died from blunt force trauma, Sheriff Craig says Allender was the target of the crime.
    "The motive was robbery," he added. "They took money and firearms from the home."

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Did they tell their names?...
    Arrested were:

• Austin M. Curtis, 18, 607 Walner Quarry Road. He was booked into the Lawrence County jail Saturday morning on charges of murder and robbery. He was being held without bond.

• Taylor M. Flynn, 19, Bedford. He was arrested in Ohio Saturday evening on a warrant charging him with murder. He also could face charges in Ohio, Craig said.

• Dillon M. Hicks, 16, Bedford. He also was arrested in Ohio Saturday evening on a warrant charging him with murder and being a runaway. He, too, could face charges in Ohio, the sheriff said.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Today's kids are ruthless, heartless, and cold. These "baby faces" are deadly.
    I understand the dilemma put forth in defending one's self and the use of force against them. It's something to think about.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This should be a bit unnerving and eye opening for us rural folks. Victim not known, but targeted for money and guns.

I used to chuckle at guys (rhino):) who advocated carry 24/7. Not any more.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This should be a bit unnerving and eye opening for us rural folks. Victim not known, but targeted for money and guns.

I used to chuckle at guys (rhino):) who advocated carry 24/7. Not any more.

We are VERY remote. There is a weapon close at hand always, and we have sensors and alarms on the approaches to the house which is not visible from the road. We don't get uninvited guests for the most part, so ANYONE approaching is viewed with extreme suspicion until cleared. Exactly because of situations like this and the problem we USED to have with poachers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Living rural has it's good and bad. I've got a long drive and people don't just show up so I'm usually careful. Surprise is always your worst problem.

Kids like that need a fair trial and then a fair hanging, preferably on the courthouse square.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Large part of today's crime problem. Due to our delicate sensibilities we no longer give a public lesson on what the end result of murder and other serious crimes should be. A fair hanging on the courthouse square.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I grew up south of east fork White River. 30 years ago the bad guys wouldn't mess with country folk; armed and knew everyone who lives in the area. This scares me.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Yikes. Absolutely brutal. I just can not and do not want to comprehend what is going through a young person's mind when they do such things. Furthermore, how can one individual capable of such acts locate 'friends' who are also capable? saddening.

I'm actually looking for rural, 'off the beaten path' property to build a little homestead out in the country. When I picture my future place, I always imagined a long driveway, house tucked in far from the road and not visible to any surrounding houses. The remoteness of what I want has also made me think of how I would properly remain safe in an area where something could happen to me in my front yard and no one would know.

I wonder how difficult it'd be to place a censor along the path of a long driveway, sort of how when you drive into an old gas station you drive over the thing that rings the bell inside the store. Would be nice to know that someone or something just tripped the censor and may or may not be coming up your quarter mile long driveway at midnight.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm wondering how they knew he had firearms to steal if they didn't know him.

Just here on INGO, I've seen more cases of poor internet hygiene that have the potential to be used to such ends than I care to count. It's not just Facebookers that are stoopid :n00b:

That said, nobody deserves this; the perps do need to hang if convicted by a jury of their peers (read: superiors). Prayers for Mr. Allender's loved ones.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yikes. Absolutely brutal. I just can not and do not want to comprehend what is going through a young person's mind when they do such things. Furthermore, how can one individual capable of such acts locate 'friends' who are also capable? saddening.

I'm actually looking for rural, 'off the beaten path' property to build a little homestead out in the country. When I picture my future place, I always imagined a long driveway, house tucked in far from the road and not visible to any surrounding houses. The remoteness of what I want has also made me think of how I would properly remain safe in an area where something could happen to me in my front yard and no one would know.

I wonder how difficult it'd be to place a censor along the path of a long driveway, sort of how when you drive into an old gas station you drive over the thing that rings the bell inside the store. Would be nice to know that someone or something just tripped the censor and may or may not be coming up your quarter mile long driveway at midnight.

Same boat here. Remoteness == fewer witnesses && help further away. Early detection is key.

Check Amazon to get an idea what's out there...a good starting point, anyway. Amazon.com: Driveway Patrol Sensor and Receiver Kit (Discontinued by Manufacturer): Patio, Lawn & Garden

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Well, you had at least two people posting in this thread say they live just like that and talk a bit about how they deal with it...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine

There are many good driveway alarms (motion sensored) out there. Some have a pretty good range as well. We are considering a Chamberlain system for our driveway and a couple of other areas on our property where sensors would pick up anyone lurking outside before they had the chance to attempt entry to our home.

Amazon.com: chamberlain driveway alarm: Tools & Home Improvement

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm wondering how they knew he had firearms to steal if they didn't know him.

They probably assumed the guy had something worth stealing and thought money would be the bulk of their booty. Most likely, they just happened to find the guns.

I wouldn't be surprised if the son or his girlfriend knew these guys.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom