• ...and so much more!
  • DONK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hello all,

First sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I felt like this was the best place?

I was wondering if anyone has been in my position or know someone who has and know what the outcome was.

I applied for my Indiana gun permit. I was denied for the following: IC 35-47-1-7 (8) "Does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun."

I was charged with a misdemeanor pointing a firearm in 2006.

It says I can appeal, and I plan on talking to a lawyer, but I'm wondering can this even be appealed? I just don't want to pay a lot of money and have a lawyer saying he can get it changed and then he can't.

DONK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What was the outcome of this charge?

I was facing a felony, but I was charged with a misdemeanor if that is what you are asking?

I can still legally purchase firearms, and actually bought one from a shop recently. Filled out all paperwork, did back ground check, then was delayed for 3 days. Got a call back saying everything was good to go.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I was facing a felony, but I was charged with a misdemeanor if that is what you are asking?

I can still legally purchase firearms, and actually bought one from a shop recently. Filled out all paperwork, did back ground check, then was delayed for 3 days. Got a call back saying everything was good to go.

So, were you convicted of the misdemeanor? Did you accept a "deal" and plead guilty or nolo contendere? (I think you can plead "nolo contendere" in IN, but I may be mistaken.) Or were you acquitted?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    He is asking, as am I, if the charge resulted in a conviction. Did you get charged with the felony and plead it down to a misdemeanor? Did you get alternate misdemeanor sentencing for the conviction? Were the charges dropped?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Again, you use the word "charged" with a misdemeanor... What was the outcome of this "charge"? Convictions are what count.

"Pointing a firearm" is a felony if loaded and a misdemeanor if not.

DONK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So... On what basis would you appeal?

Being that it was a conviction... none.

I mean I guess that in my opinion, it wasn't an inability to safely handle a firearm. And I was wondering if it was like court. Maybe they could say if you take a gun safety class, then you can get a permit. I don't know was just curious. I'll talk to a lawyer and see what they say.

Thanks for the help though.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I agree, call a lawyer and see what he/she says. Is it my internet opinion that you're ****ed. But I'm just some cat on the Internet with really great beard hair.

good luck.

DONK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree, call a lawyer and see what he/she says. Is it my internet opinion that you're ****ed. But I'm just some cat on the Internet with really great beard hair.

good luck.

Lol, I agree with you. I don't have anything to really appeal, they didn't base their answer off of wrong information or anything. But again thanks for the help everyone!

DONK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Guy Relford at Tactical Firearms Training specializes in gun law. Might want to try him. He is a member here.
    View Profile: Tactical Firearms Training - INGunOwners

You don't have enough posts to PM yet. You can try to call or email. Web page is here.
    Tactical Firearms Training

Thanks so much for the info!

You don't need a gun. . . .you've got a Donk!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Lol wrong donk. I got this name from getting hit in the head with a piece of pipe :bash:

Top Bottom