• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    (Yes, I know there's very long thread related to this but this is a bit different).

For those of you that do not carry a round in the chamber on your self-defense/duty/fighting/carry handgun, can you please post why you do not?

I would like you to be as specific as possible, don't just write "Because I'm uncomfortable doing so" or "Because I'm new" or something along those lines. Please tell me what exactly makes you uncomfortable about it--like, "I find myself worried the gun will go off if dropped" or "I'm not confident in keeping my finger off the trigger because of a lack of training" or "I think i'll have time to rack the slide if it comes to it" or whatever.

I promise I won't berate you or even try to talk you out of it in this thread (even though I'm strongly opposed to it). And I hope that others that disagree with you won't post derisive comments either.

It is simply for me to learn what is going through the mind of shooters that feel this way so I can better address certain fears that my students have.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    When I first started carrying, I carried unloaded. I wanted to get used to having the weapon on my side before I carried it loaded.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    When someone asks about carrying loaded, offer to take them to a range. Give them a weapon without a round in the chamber, and tell them they have 5 seconds to chamber a round and fire two shots at a target 10 feet a way. I'd bet $10 that less than 10% can do it.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I hope it is appropriate for me to relate this, since I have always carried with one in the pipe. Several years ago, I had the why do you, and why I don't carry with one in the pipe conversation with a coworker. His problem was he was torn between feeling the need to be able to defend himself, and his fear of the results if he ever had to take that action. His reasoning was that the delay caused by having to chamber a round, would give him enough time to "be sure" he was doing the right thing. No matter how much I demonstrated how that delay could be the end of his life, he said he wasn't ready to make that kind of decision that quickly, and that he could live with the results of his actions. When I ask him if he was ready for his family to live with the results of his decision if it was fatal, he promised he would think about it. Never did hear what that decision was.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    (Yes, I know there's very long thread related to this but this is a bit different).

For those of you that do not carry a round in the chamber on your self-defense/duty/fighting/carry handgun, can you please post why you do not?

I would like you to be as specific as possible, don't just write "Because I'm uncomfortable doing so" or "Because I'm new" or something along those lines. Please tell me what exactly makes you uncomfortable about it--like, "I find myself worried the gun will go off if dropped" or "I'm not confident in keeping my finger off the trigger because of a lack of training" or "I think i'll have time to rack the slide if it comes to it" or whatever.

I promise I won't berate you or even try to talk you out of it (even though I'm strongly opposed to it). And I hope that others that disagree with you won't post derisive comments either.

It is simply for me to learn what is going through the mind of shooters that feel this way so I can better address certain fears that my students have.

Thanks!
    I just thought this part needed emphasized.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    My reasoning for carrying with a chambered round is simple, if I feel that I have to pull the weapon then it is going to be fired in self defense. Period. That being said, when I am still getting familiar with a NEW weapon I do not carry with one in the pipe. My process is !. getting the firearm "broken in" at the range (HI BGF!) or at home. 2. finding out any quirks of carrying it depending on the carry method. (Open, concealed, etc.) I want to be best buddies with my firearm so that I understand it and it understands me, so to speak. Once we are clear on that, I carry chambered. Just for info's sake, I prefer DAO and no safety. Long trigger pull semi-autos work for me. Draw Pull Bang. End of (eh-hem) story.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    When I first started carrying, I didn't have one in the chamber. I was afraid if the gun got bumped or anything it would fire. Once I started carrying loaded, I've never looked back.:shoot:

I have a good friend that doesn't carry one in the chamber and he says he'll have time to rack it in case something happens.:rolleyes:

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    When I first started carrying, I carried unloaded. I wanted to get used to having the weapon on my side before I carried it loaded.

By unloaded, do you mean just an empty chamber? Or empty mag too?

Do you now carry with a chambered round? If so, at what point did you feel comfortable enough or competent enough to carry chambered? Was there something particularly that got you to that point?

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I didn't at first as I felt more comfortable. Then it was because I didn't like the chambering and unchambering the round in the evening when I got home and prior to leaving. Now I carry a revolver and love it. Just feels more comfortable.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I didn't at first as I felt more comfortable. Then it was because I didn't like the chambering and unchambering the round in the evening when I got home and prior to leaving. Now I carry a revolver and love it. Just feels more comfortable.

Thank you.

So, the manipulation of the slide made you the most uncomfortable? Did you feel as if there was more chance of the weapon going off when this action was being performed?

I have also found that some that are uncomfortable carrying a semi-auto chambered feel no qualms with carrying a revolver on a loaded chamber. I have been told that a) they just want to see that the hammer is down or b) the trigger pull is heavier, thus giving them less chance for a negligent discharge.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    When I first started carrying, I carried a revolver with an empty chamber.
    I did that because I was concerned the trigger would become snagged or bumped or whatever. Even holstered.
    When I first carried a 1911, I was apprehensive about "cocked and locked" right off the bat.
    I didn't want to carry with a round in the chamber because I thought for sure the safety would get bumped "off" and it would discharge a round. Jay told me "Do me a favor... just to prove something to yourself... chamber a snap cap and flip the safety on. Holster up and go about the most movement-oriented day you can think of. Do things that have you stooping, climbing up, carrying things, bumping into things...just all around physical activity that worries you about the safety becoming disengaged. Let me know if it actually does."
    I did exactly that. It really eased my mind to establish *for mySELF* that it took an authoritative flip of the safety to move it to "OFF". It really helped more than the first few training days did, even.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Thanks, JetGirl.

When you carried the revolver with the empty chamber, was the chamber under the hammer empty? Or the next one in line that would line up if the trigger was pulled? I know someone that leaves the chamber under the hammer empty in case it drops so that it doesn't go off. He thinks (wrongly) that it will go off if dropped. Sounds like you were worried about the trigger somehow getting pulled, which is a different.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    When I first started carrying, I carried a revolver with an empty chamber.
    I did that because I was concerned the trigger would become snagged or bumped or whatever. Even holstered.
    When I first carried a 1911, I was apprehensive about "cocked and locked" right off the bat.
    I didn't want to carry with a round in the chamber because I thought for sure the safety would get bumped "off" and it would discharge a round. Jay told me "Do me a favor... just to prove something to yourself... chamber a snap cap and flip the safety on. Holster up and go about the most movement-oriented day you can think of. Do things that have you stooping, climbing up, carrying things, bumping into things...just all around physical activity that worries you about the safety becoming disengaged. Let me know if it actually does."
    I did exactly that. It really eased my mind to establish *for mySELF* that it took an authoritative flip of the safety to move it to "OFF". It really helped more than the first few training days did, even.

STILL.......ain' gonna 'go-off'......even flip'd off......or should'n......STILL got'a have 2 events happen fer 'at hammer ta fall....

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Many human fears are the product of ignorance. Firearms are no exception. I understand how my Glock works, therefore I have no problem, nor have I ever, carrying with one in the pipe.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I've been carrying a Glock, my first gun for a year now, the first 9 months loaded but not one in the pipe.

Logically I knew the disadvantage of carrying this way but I needed to build up my confidence that nothing would snag the trigger and cause a ND.

Now I feel better prepared if I have to use it, yet still am cautious and respect the firearm when unholstering to put it away.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've been carrying a Glock, my first gun for a year now, the first 9 months loaded but not one in the pipe.

Logically I knew the disadvantage of carrying this way but I needed to build up my confidence that nothing would snag the trigger and cause a ND.

Now I feel better prepared if I have to use it, yet still am cautious and respect the firearm when unholstering to put it away.

Thanks for posting. Were you carrying in a holster that completely covered the trigger? So, you were mainly concerned/fearful only during holstering/unholstering? Or also while you were carrying?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I posted this earlier, but I'll drop it here as well. Food for thought. So asume you are this guy (please assume he didnt forget his gun for this exercise). You start the encounter with a knife to your throat. You reach for your pistol with your strong hand as your weak hand neutralizes the threat by pinning the assailant's knife hand against the roof of your car. I just counted two hands there... where is that third hand to cycle your slide to put a round in the pipe so you can fire the gun? Congrats you dont have a gun, you have a bludgeon in this situation. Good luck beating him to death while you try to keep him from stabbing you!

P320 Entry: "I'll Only Be Out For A Few Minutes" | The Truth About Guns

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Thanks for posting. Were you carrying in a holster that completely covered the trigger? So, you were mainly concerned/fearful only during holstering/unholstering? Or also while you were carrying?

I carry primarily in a Serpa OWB holster(I don't worry about printing or showing a little) and occasionally in a Galco KingTuk IWB (this for church, I don't want to distract someone else from their prayer time).

I was concerned all of the time, I'm in my early 50's and never handled a gun, so for me I had ALOT to learn and I'm OCD when it comes to safety, so I've read a ton, watched hours of videos and have been to three training classes in the past year and plan on continuing my training.

I feeling carrying a gun is a huge responsibility and one can never have too much training and knowledge.

I have develop a good interest in firearms, I've bought four this past year, feel very comfortable handling them now and do discuss the importance of gun ownership to my non gun owner friends. I hope to get a few of them to the range in the future...

Pat

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    When I carry my Glock, I carry with a chambered round whether its OC or CC. I just recently bought a Taurus TCP .380 for pocket carry. I do not chamber a round yet simply because I am not fully comfortable with the gun yet. I do deliveries, so I am constantly in and out of a van, and bumping into things. I want to make sure with lots of movement that the gun will not slip from the holster or the trigger accidentally be pulled. The TCP does not have a safety which is why I am doing this. If it had a manual safety, I would not have a problem chambering a round. And lastly, I want to make sure my draw from my pocket will not snag the trigger on the way out. Those are my reasons why I don't carry with one in the chamber. Once I am comfortable with the TCP, there will be a round in the chamber.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I think some people won't carry chambered because they pocket carry WITHOUT a holster, and they are probably safer doing so.
    I OC'd a few times when I got my first pistol, but that was just until I got used to handling and drawing that gun properly. (Keeping finger indexed etc.); no I didn't handle the gun in public.
    Since I started cc with my edc, I've never carried un-chambered.
    If you practice at home, and become familiar with your firearm, you won't be uncomfortable with it. Aware at all times, but not uncomfortable. Unless you have a crap holster and no gun belt that is.;) :twocents:

Top Bottom