• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    ...I sense some flaming aimed at Cracked coming.....but he gets an awful lot right.

Which parts do you believe he got right? And are we just discussing OCT or all open carriers?

I love this false dichotomy:

Concealed handguns are not only already legal, but much much safer than packing your heat on a belt. Wearing a gun on your hip says exactly two things to a potential criminal madman:
    1. You have something worth stealing.
    2. If he's going to start something, he should probably shoot you in the back of the head first.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Which parts do you believe he got right? And are we just discussing OCT or all open carriers?

I love this false dichotomy:

Concealed handguns are not only already legal, but much much safer than packing your heat on a belt. Wearing a gun on your hip says exactly two things to a potential criminal madman:
    1. You have something worth stealing.
    2. If he's going to start something, he should probably shoot you in the back of the head first.

#2 is actually quite humorous if you think about it. I've seen a LOT of surveillance videos where the introduction of a firearm immediately causes the bad guys to flee. Whether it's drawn upon initiation of hostilities or where the intended victim moves his body in such a way as to expose the firearm to the potential perpetrator. I wonder if there are any instances where a civilian is shot dead by a bad guy prior to initiation of the intended robbery, rape, etc.?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    #5. Most Gun Owners Consider These Guys Lunatics
    Talking about these guys? “Lunatic may be a bit strong but ignorant, self-righteous and short-sighted come to mind.
    284413_v1.jpg

#4. They're Paranoid Bullies

Talking about these guys? He may have a point.

Spitting, Stalking, Rape Threats: How Gun Extremists Target Women | Mother Jones

#3. They Don't Really Care About Protection

I disagree with this, but he brings up some interesting points of discussion.

#2. They Have a Major Persecution Complex

Whining about all the people out to get you isn’t limited to OCT.

#1. They're Their Own Worst Enemies

This is so obvious that many on INGO have started to claim that the “activists” that look the goofiest must be plants.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    It's an openly-biased and intellectually-dishonest article, eg the tired characterization of the NRA. And not particularly funny.

Plus no hot babes.

I give it two thumbs down.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Cracked is a left-leaning site, so there's that.

Jim Henry created his own problems by showing up to video record and harass the OC'ers. So, Henry gets zero 'sympathy' on that.

But, Cracked IS correct on #1, this group constantly and consistently create their own problems, then want to b***h about having problems, LOL!

The idea of carrying as some sort of 'protest' or 'political agenda' and creating little 'rallies' to 'prove the point' is as fanatical and loony as ANYTHING Shannon Watts comes up with.

These actions absolutely do NOT help the pro-2A movement, they do NOT further gun rights, and they do NOT 'convert' anyone over to the 'pro-gun' side of any debate.

Carry a firearm properly and responsibly. Or don't. Open Carry or Concealed Carry. Your choice. Whatever.

The anti-gun loons already 'hate' these 'protest' goofs. But they've now alienated a LOT of the pro-gun community with such foolishness. And they believe in the false security of just yelling "I have the RIGHT!", like that's a 'cure-all'. Wrong.

Maybe these folks really ARE too stupid to own a gun. :laugh:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    ...so we're piling on 3 lines of a 2 page piece...is that the only part anyone has thoughts on?

I have thoughts on the whole piece. I was simply pointing out a glaringly fallacious statement within the article.

#5. He may be correct in thinking that the some of the individuals are lunatics. And most gun owners may believe they are lunatics. Argumentum ad populum
    #4. I haven't read up much on the whole spitting, stalking, rape threats of these individuals. If it is true, then I see the point. I would not, however, use an article from Mother Jones to support my case. (I will do some more reading on this though, and if true, it is truly disturbing.)
    #3. I disagree with this line of thought.
    #2. Once again, I disagree. They cannot openly carry a handgun in their state, so their right is being oppressed. They may not be going about it in the most effective manner, but the oppression is still there.
    #1. Those companies didn't ban guns. What was the author's point? Exercising a right leads to that right being legislated away?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Some points in the article were okay at best while others were a bit off base.

The writer is blatantly against OC and uses that logic to dictate his writing of the article. For him, the open carry of a pistol is stupid so the open carry of a long gun is miles beyond that. I'll give him credit when talking about the approach and the image of the two individuals holding their rifles at low ready. I don't walk around with my hand on my pistol and would expect the same of someone staging an open carry demonstration with rifles. Keep your mitts off of the gun!

I think me may have some grounding in fact when talking about the mentality of some of our more "outspoken" OC activists. As with all groups, we have our fringe crowd who doesn't understand behavioral limits and takes things necessarily far with outright bullying and threats. I wonder though if he lumps all who OC in with these groups...I get the feeling that he does and that's where his argument goes pear shaped for me.

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I realize that most people have an opinion to share with others when the opportunity arises and the right to carry concealed is one certainly worthy. But open carry is certainly one to think about. In this day and age it gets alot of attention by law abiding people and would be criminals, as pointed out. Criminals are either intimidated or your the first one to go down. I'm not sure it helps our cause with the ordinary public these days.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I realize that most people have an opinion to share with others when the opportunity arises and the right to carry concealed is one certainly worthy. But open carry is certainly one to think about. In this day and age it gets alot of attention by law abiding people and would be criminals, as pointed out. Criminals are either intimidated or your the first one to go down. I'm not sure it helps our cause with the ordinary public these days.

I have no idea what this means.

85s10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    I'm all for concealed carry but I think carrying AK 47's in public scares most people these days and is not going to do anything to further the fight to keep our 2nd Amendment freedom.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Though I completely support the right to OC, these protestors need to realize that public opinion is all that separates our rights being defended versus attacked by every politician. As gun owners we should fight to defend the second amendment and our rights but we must do so in the exact opposite manner of our opponents; they try to use fear and ignorance to justify restricting our rights and we need to defend them with logic and reason. Having some fat guy waddle into a fast food restaurant carrying an AR will invariably sway members of the general public and not necessarily in a good way.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    It all boils down to one thing: either you support all gun rights or you don't. Fence-sitting is for crybabies.​

The problem with this sentiment is that a lot of those "crybabies" who sit on the fence will jump to the other side when they see some jackass with an assualt rifle next to them while they are trying to eat a burrito.

The "activists" seem to do the most damage, and then cry the loudest when their actions backfire.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The problem with this sentiment is that a lot of those "crybabies" who sit on the fence will jump to the other side when they see some jackass with an assualt rifle next to them while they are trying to eat a burrito.

The "activists" seem to do the most damage, and then cry the loudest when their actions backfire.
    This post makes you one of those fence-sitters.

Top Bottom