• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ohio State is a Public institution. It acts as an operation of the government, and it's employees are government employees. So, yes, a government entity is infringing upon a student's 2nd amendment rights. This is why the students have a chance.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Ohio State is a Public institution. It acts as an operation of the government, and it's employees are government employees. So, yes, a government entity is infringing upon a student's 2nd amendment rights. This is why the students have a chance.
    Which is exactly what is happening here in Indiana too. I think a case like this one would win here based on what I said in my original post.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Which is exactly what is happening here in Indiana too. I think a case like this one would win here based on what I said in my original post.

Of course, the k-12 schools that are "public" are doing it, as well.
    Be nice if all VDZ's could be done away with, or at the very least, no more enforcable than a "no guns" sign at your local theater or mall.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    This is the same attorney I worked with a couple of years ago in Waverly, Ohio, in an open carry case.

I just e-mailed him and volunteered to testify as an expert in this one.

I think this has a good chance. This is a PUBLIC university in a state where the legislature has taken the stand that concealed carry is good public policy.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Good, I hope SCCC wins and gets a billion $$$ for their 'trouble' as well.

JMO, ANY place, business or institution, that invites the public onto it's property for any reason should be considered a 'place of public access' and should be required to follow the same gun-carry rules as when that 'public' is walking the public street.

Therefore, ANY business, university, etc. would be prohibited from even posting a 'No Guns' sign. You invite 'customers' (students are also customers), you have to follow the State rules regarding carrying a firearm. If it's allowed, it's allowed, period. Big, HUGE fines and penalties for any business or institution violating that, IMO.

Might take me another 20 years, but I'm gonna figure out how to make that work.

Oh yeah... and Shannon Watts and Mikey Bloomberg can kiss my
    donkey.jpg

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Although I believe they have solid ground for an argument, I have slim hopes this will lead anywhere.

I really hope this goes well. I believe many more schools will follow.

Anyone know if this applies to city-funded schools? Such as Louisville?
    Do you mean Kentucky? I'm not sure about Kentucky but in Indiana, city law can't trump state law, so it would apply to city-funded schools.
    Not sure if it'll do any good but my hats off to them!
    No disrespect, but pessimism leads in the opposite way. Of course the odds are stack against SCC, but we should show them support now and even more so if they win. I know everyone wants results, but it takes support to achieve those results. If they win and we can get a case started here, I hope we can get INGO's support!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    This would go a bit different in Indiana since there is the IC that specifically allowes Universities and Colleges to make their own rules regarding firearms and weapons. The reason that SCC can sue Ohio State is that there is not a similar law (as far as I understand it, IANAL) in Ohio, and much like Indiana, gun laws there are controlled by the state instead of local municipalities.

I would not mind if our law on that changed.

On a side note, I saw that SCC is hosting it's annual conference in Washington DC. I'll just let that fact settle in a bit. An Annual conference for Students for Concealed Carry....In Washington DC....

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    This would go a bit different in Indiana since there is the IC that specifically allowes Universities and Colleges to make their own rules regarding firearms and weapons. The reason that SCC can sue Ohio State is that there is not a similar law (as far as I understand it, IANAL) in Ohio, and much like Indiana, gun laws there are controlled by the state instead of local municipalities.

I would not mind if our law on that changed.

On a side note, I saw that SCC is hosting it's annual conference in Washington DC. I'll just let that fact settle in a bit. An Annual conference for Students for Concealed Carry....In Washington DC....
    Yes, it's at the beginning of August in the nation's Capital. It's the national conference. I understand that you want to point out its in the last place that bans the right to carry, but so does the vast majority of other colleges. It'll have the most political momentum right in the nation's capital.

Also...1000th post! :):

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I hear SCC is suing due to the fact that OSU's policy is so broad they think it prohibits them from carrying firearms off OSU property or risk being removed from the school.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Seems impossible for OSU (or any college, school, etc.) to guarantee 100% full time guaranteed safety of every single person 24/ 7/ 365 on the campus, so I don't see how they can reasonably ban personal firearm protection without that gaurantee.:dunno:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    :popcorn: Awesome! Well kinda, I do hate all of the suing that takes place in the world today. But I hope this works out in their favor!

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    :popcorn: Awesome! Well kinda, I do hate all of the suing that takes place in the world today. But I hope this works out in their favor!
    Unfortunately, that's the only way to make these places get it. Administrators don't care about rights, they care about money. They feel the right to carry will deter students from coming to their school.

Top Bottom